Battlefield 2142 Personal Data Clarification

Appears on http://www.joe.to. Gaming news or community information.
Cc_Hairy

Battlefield 2142 Personal Data Clarification

Post by Cc_Hairy » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:11 pm

There was speculation that this would result in ads being served based on user's cookies, and other sneaky stuff, but EA's response to Joystiq clarifies what sort of information is being collected:
The advertising program in Battlefield 2142 does not access any files which are not directly related to the game. It does not capture personal data such as cookies, account login detail, or surfing history.

BF 2142 delivers ads by region. The advertising system uses a player's IP address to determine the region of the player, assisting to serve the appropriate ads by region and language. For instance, a player in Paris might be presented with ads in French. The information collected will not be repurposed for other uses.

Battlefield 2142 also tracks "impression data" related to in-game advertisements: location of a billboard in the game, brand advertised, duration of advertisement impression, etc. This information is used to help advertisers qualify the reach of a given advertisement.
http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board. ... adid=72017
bin laden wrote:I still think bush is the one that did all the shit
http://activistnews.blogspot.com/
EDEdDNEdDYFaN

Post by EDEdDNEdDYFaN » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:41 pm

lol oops
ImageImage
HomicidalApe

Post by HomicidalApe » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:57 pm

I'm still too poor to even consider considering getting it.
"it's basically valve's fault." - Joe
"I have a very predictable pattern here: I make smarmy comments and call people on bullshit. If you start an asinine argument with me, I will not back down." - Hellboy
"the reign of hellboy has seen unprecedented prosperity! viva la hellboy! - Joe
Avvatar
Veni. Legi. Docuit, inportuna.

Post by Avvatar » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:59 pm

And the doomsday morons fail again! I knew if it were something "malicious" the only specific on the form wouldn't have been "Internet Protocal address".
ayeyah

Post by ayeyah » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:12 am

IT'S A CONSPIRACY! I still find it hilarious that you stare at a billboard for a minute and the car next to you will probably morph into a Nissan or something.
STEAM_0:0:2611885
breakerfall

Post by breakerfall » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:46 am

Avvatar wrote:And the doomsday morons fail again! I knew if it were something "malicious" the only specific on the form wouldn't have been "Internet Protocal address".
In my opinion, adding any kind of advertising into a GAME that you have just paid for, is malicious, or just down right shitty.

Really, it's disgusting. Advertising on the Internet as a whole is disgusting. I loathe it to such a high degree you can't imagine... and the one place on the Internet you could escape advertisements is now being targetted. Rediculous. If I wanted to see advertisements, I wouldn't be playing a game.
Delinquent

Post by Delinquent » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:00 am

of course, they needed a spyware program to do this.

/.Delinquent
STEAM_0:1:209083
Avvatar
Veni. Legi. Docuit, inportuna.

Post by Avvatar » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:18 pm

Advertising is a fact of life. Get over it. If you don't like the ads, don't look at them. If enough people stop looking, they'll go away. But the fact is people are looking, and they are changing peoples opinions.

And there is no spyware program. That is again the doomsday morons crying themselves to sleep.
Obi Juan

Post by Obi Juan » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:30 pm

so they get paid for me playing the game? then why the hell should i spend $50 bucks for a BF2 mod.
Cc_Hairy

Post by Cc_Hairy » Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:08 pm

so many questions for a young jedi...
bin laden wrote:I still think bush is the one that did all the shit
http://activistnews.blogspot.com/
breakerfall

Post by breakerfall » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:01 am

Avvatar wrote:Advertising is a fact of life. Get over it. If you don't like the ads, don't look at them. If enough people stop looking, they'll go away. But the fact is people are looking, and they are changing peoples opinions.

And there is no spyware program. That is again the doomsday morons crying themselves to sleep.
No it's not. What it is, is common. We see it everywhere... that doesn't mean we should have to. And especially so on our own computers whilst playing a game. The concept is nasty, even in everyday life. They're ugly, annoying and down-right disgusting in a sense.

Fair enough, I don't pay to watch X TV channel, they cover their costs with advertisements. I can live with that. Ok, some high volume websites need to pay their costs, they advertise. I dislike it, I live with it. I pay a wad for a game, the company is rolling in it, their releases are poor quality and buggy anyway, THEY DON'T AND SHOULDN'T ADVERTISE IN THE GAME. They don't need to cover the costs of creating the game, they will make enough money on sales and forcing people to use payed for servers, in order to have silly ranking systems.

I guess the point is moot, I don't really care. I won't be buying or playing the game.
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:22 am

in the end the market will decide

if enough people are bothered by the ad that they lose more money because of reduced sales than they made off the ads, they will think twice before they try ads again. that's assuming they make smart business decisions which they might or might not, and that we have all the information which we might not
"To perceive is to suffer" - Aristotle
mbaxter appreciates the beef
breakerfall

Post by breakerfall » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:42 am

Naw, I reckon people will buy it anyway.

Very few people moan and complain about something and actually do something about it. They're going to buy it and play it and crash with it and go to the EA forums bitching about how buggy it is. :mrgreen:
Ronin

Post by Ronin » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:06 am

Hell, I bought it.
It's fun.
End of story.
joe wrote:ignore all the dipshits, thanks for the post :)
Delinquent

Post by Delinquent » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:46 am

It was fun.
It got old.

/.Delinquent
STEAM_0:1:209083