Abstract map pack ('HHH' map pack) thread

Like such as the NIPPER
AlphaKennyOne

Post by AlphaKennyOne » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:27 pm

Does it matter if we have HDR enabled, with a sky that doesn't support it? Or would there not be a difference, other than the shiny effects an HDR-enabled sky gives?
There used to be a signature here, but it's gone now.
HomicidalApe

Post by HomicidalApe » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:24 pm

Oh, big note I forgot to mention: Don't make a god damn secret in your map and then tell everyone that it exists. Better yet, don't make a secret at all. Or make it a reeeeaaally secret secret. ;)
"it's basically valve's fault." - Joe
"I have a very predictable pattern here: I make smarmy comments and call people on bullshit. If you start an asinine argument with me, I will not back down." - Hellboy
"the reign of hellboy has seen unprecedented prosperity! viva la hellboy! - Joe
NIPPER

Post by NIPPER » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:53 am

Or better yet do what I do and make a secret that is impossible to get to and then laugh at all the people who try to figure it out. Then laugh even harder at the people who claim to have done it without cheating.
Dr.Boo

Post by Dr.Boo » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:31 am

I'll make a secret that is not too hard to get in, but impossible to get through without my help, or cheating. Basically there will be a room that... ah never mind. It's secret :P Most people discover the existence of a secret because they see it in spec anyways.
I've had a guy who sent me a PM on FPSBanana to ask me how you get in the secret of de_hangcastle_s "me and my clan have spent the entire evening shooting and raping the paintings in the merry go round... plz tell me what we have to do???"

Hahahaha.
joe wrote:what's it like, being stupid? try to describe it for us please
AlphaKennyOne

Post by AlphaKennyOne » Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:43 am

I got the same thing for opening the secret to de_nightmare. "I know it has something to do with the graves, but WAT IT R?!?" Oh, and this question still stands:
AlphaKennyOne wrote:Does it matter if we have HDR enabled, with a sky that doesn't support it? Or would there not be a difference, other than the shiny effects an HDR-enabled sky gives?
Also, does anyone know what the episode of House M.D. is when House says "Bros before hos, man"? I wanna find a sound clip of that.
HomicidalApe

Post by HomicidalApe » Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:58 am

AlphaKennyOne wrote:Does it matter if we have HDR enabled, with a sky that doesn't support it? Or would there not be a difference, other than the shiny effects an HDR-enabled sky gives?
you should try it out...i know blahhh doesnt have an hdr skybox, but it does have HDR, and it's fine. On the otherhand, I remember running into troubles when i did HDR w/o a hdr skybox...default cubemap troubles.
"it's basically valve's fault." - Joe
"I have a very predictable pattern here: I make smarmy comments and call people on bullshit. If you start an asinine argument with me, I will not back down." - Hellboy
"the reign of hellboy has seen unprecedented prosperity! viva la hellboy! - Joe
NIPPER

Post by NIPPER » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:45 pm

It will be fine, it just means the skybox won't be all HDRed but everything else will be.
AlphaKennyOne

Post by AlphaKennyOne » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:44 pm

Ok good. Because I attempted to make an HDR skybox, and...a lot of work for not that great-looking an effect.

I created the sky in Terragen, but when in-game, it was so horribly pixellated when the exposure changed, which is a shame, because it was a damn-good looking sky for my first try.

I'm also still looking for that 'House' sound clip, if anyone remembers what episode that's from.
Dr.Boo

Post by Dr.Boo » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:14 am

AlphaKennyOne wrote:Ok good. Because I attempted to make an HDR skybox, and...a lot of work for not that great-looking an effect.

I created the sky in Terragen, but when in-game, it was so horribly pixellated when the exposure changed, which is a shame, because it was a damn-good looking sky for my first try.

I'm also still looking for that 'House' sound clip, if anyone remembers what episode that's from.
Terragen owns. I made several realistic skies with it for CS. But unfortunately it can't make cartoonish landscapes.
joe wrote:what's it like, being stupid? try to describe it for us please
NIPPER

Post by NIPPER » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:13 pm

I’ve started my map, which of course means that the mappack is now officially happening and you should start your maps too. I have no idea how long it will take me so I’m not setting any due-date yet.
ajunk

Post by ajunk » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:11 am

I still say someone should orchestrate an hhh map made by a group of people (like de_paranoid)
Skeetles

Post by Skeetles » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:14 pm

Like more than one person working on a map? WTF
I might do that if enough people are interested, I hate making huge maps.
NIPPER

Post by NIPPER » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:35 pm

ajunk wrote:I still say someone should orchestrate an hhh map made by a group of people (like de_paranoid)
Those never end well.
ajunk

Post by ajunk » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:51 pm

NIPPER wrote:
ajunk wrote:I still say someone should orchestrate an hhh map made by a group of people (like de_paranoid)
Those never end well.
de_paranoid was a good map
NIPPER

Post by NIPPER » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:15 pm

Parts of it were.