Abstract map pack ('HHH' map pack) thread

Like such as the NIPPER
Dr.Boo

Post by Dr.Boo » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:48 pm

It looks like your map is one big open space... those are a bitch to compile I heard. I would suggest you don't chop off too much, and give ur computer all the time it needs to compile.
joe wrote:what's it like, being stupid? try to describe it for us please
bobjones

Post by bobjones » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:56 pm

nah i wouldn't take anything out, just turn more brushes into entities.

but yeah, good point. hitlar cube isn't helping.
NIPPER

Post by NIPPER » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:56 pm

I've said this a million times but here I go again- func_detail won't help vis.

Bringing the skybox in as close as you can might help. The exposed spiral staircases in the middle, the complex geometry, and the fact that you can see everything from everywhere is what’s killing your compile time.

I can’t think of much to do with func_illusionary and func_detail unless there is some insanely intricate brushwork that I can’t see from your screens.
bobjones

Post by bobjones » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:10 pm

is func_illusionary any different than detail except the obvious?
NIPPER

Post by NIPPER » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:14 pm

I think vis basically ignores it since it’s not solid. I usually use that with a clip brush on small stuff when I’m trying to make vis go faster.
It has always worked for me.
HomicidalApe

Post by HomicidalApe » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:31 pm

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Func_detail
Unlike a world brush, a func_detail does not block visibility. Therefore it does not contribute to visibility calculations (reducing compile time) and does not divide the BSP tree. Thus, they are ideal for optimizing "visual detail" brushes that do not significantly block the player's line-of-sight (like debris, fences, or even small buildings) and complicated brushwork (like stairs, columns and angled brushes), since func_detail brushes will not cause other brushes to be divided into additional faces on contact. It does generate new vertices where it intersects world brushes and is the only entity to do so. The new vertecies are only generated for lighting reasons and do not create any registerable slow down.
that must be why detail is lame with vis even though it doesnt block vis....I'd go for func_brush before illusionary+clip combo.
"it's basically valve's fault." - Joe
"I have a very predictable pattern here: I make smarmy comments and call people on bullshit. If you start an asinine argument with me, I will not back down." - Hellboy
"the reign of hellboy has seen unprecedented prosperity! viva la hellboy! - Joe
bobjones

Post by bobjones » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:48 pm

wow...so i turned a bunch of stuff into illusionary with clipping brushes (including the stairs)
and shrunk down the hitlar cube as much as i could...and now it compiles in 30min.

i'll post a DL link a little later after i pakrat it
bobjones

Post by bobjones » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:16 am

reposted dl link
Last edited by bobjones on Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
HomicidalApe

Post by HomicidalApe » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:40 am

That's AWESOME jones
"it's basically valve's fault." - Joe
"I have a very predictable pattern here: I make smarmy comments and call people on bullshit. If you start an asinine argument with me, I will not back down." - Hellboy
"the reign of hellboy has seen unprecedented prosperity! viva la hellboy! - Joe
bobjones

Post by bobjones » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:57 am

:D
MrBlip
It was inevitable.

Post by MrBlip » Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:18 pm

NIPPER wrote:I've said this a million times but here I go again- func_detail won't help vis.
It can sometimes. When I first compiled my map after I completed the wind section I got some error referring to some angled brushes were having a hard time finding portals. I did some google searching and I came across someone in some forum somewhere that had the same problem. They were told to turn some angled brushes they had info func_detail, so I did that too. All I did was turn 24 brushes into one giant func_detail and my compile time went from 3hours 30min to 1hour 15min.
9:18 PM - mrblip: im allowed to have my own opinions
9:19 PM - Dr. Doctorpus: no youre not
bobjones

Post by bobjones » Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:53 am

sooo since this place is dead on the weekends, i went ahead and fixed a few things and made it more sexy.

this will be very close to final.

*edit*
i have to change a couple things, will repost dl link in a few

and as far as testing goes.
i'll be busy sunday, tuesday, wednesday nights.
so either monday, or after wednesday

Last edited by bobjones on Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deski

Post by Deski » Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:15 am

very nice bobjones!!
austin

Post by austin » Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:25 am

bobjones that is awesome...
TodPunk

Post by TodPunk » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:44 am

MrBlip wrote:
NIPPER wrote:I've said this a million times but here I go again- func_detail won't help vis.
It can sometimes. When I first compiled my map after I completed the wind section I got some error referring to some angled brushes were having a hard time finding portals. I did some google searching and I came across someone in some forum somewhere that had the same problem. They were told to turn some angled brushes they had info func_detail, so I did that too. All I did was turn 24 brushes into one giant func_detail and my compile time went from 3hours 30min to 1hour 15min.
This is why:

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Func_detail

Note the part: "Unlike a world brush, a func_detail does not block visibility. Therefore it does not contribute to visibility calculations (reducing compile time) and does not divide the BSP tree."

It can be a problem, though, since you're basically saying to vis calculations that the brush doesn't exist. Be careful where you use it. It does help with small details (hence the name), which take a lot of vis calculation time.