The Orange Box

Anything dealing with the game Team Fortress 2 or the servers we host for it.
Jason
TODAY IS SUNDAY
<font color=#c032e3><b>TODAY IS SUNDAY</b></font>
Xfire: Jasopiate

Re: The Orange Box

Post by Jason » Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:21 pm

Also you can get HL2ep2 and Portal for free on Demonoid. I'd like to just buy TF2 alone. I'm playing through HL2ep2 right now and I love it though.
MindFlayer wrote:THIS IS THE FUCKING MAN'S THREAD, NO ONE ASKED ABOUT YOUR GODDAMN LABIA.
a1dan wrote:I came here for the gay sex and all I got was gay sax.
Sizzler

Post by Sizzler » Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:25 pm

JaSoN wrote:Also you can get HL2ep2 and Portal for free on Demonoid. I'd like to just buy TF2 alone. I'm playing through HL2ep2 right now and I love it though.
$15 now in the future will get you recompiled HDR half-life 2 maps with source 2007 shaders, and all Orange Box models in Garry's mod. Really up to you.
Lobsters

Post by Lobsters » Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:00 pm

JaSoN wrote:Also you can get HL2ep2 and Portal for free on Demonoid.
I dont get how you play those pirated steam games past the security.

Do you have to do anything special with STEAM?
Ronin

Post by Ronin » Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:20 pm

They usually come with some sort of cracked dll or something that bypasses the Steam check.
joe wrote:ignore all the dipshits, thanks for the post :)
Rioku

Post by Rioku » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:30 pm

Also you can get HL2ep2 and Portal for free on Demonoid.
That is illegal and disrespectful to those who put their heart into the game. I am for some types of illegal downloading but video games is not one of them because you are not being ripped off.

I would like to know why everyone thinks Valve is trying to rip them off? Valve created Half-Life a revolution of a video game that most FPS's today take inspiration from. The Halo franchise takes so much from half-life. Then Valve gives us HL2 which is was a game far beyond it's time.

Now for those of you who do not like the game. That is fine, you have every right to your opinion. But you can not criticize Valve because it is only your opinion. The critics who are far more qualified to judge a game then you are clearly see these games as great games.

For those of you who do not use metacritic.com here is a little comparison tool. Halo 3 has a score of 94. Also if you do not use it you should. It is unbiased because it takes the averages of all the reviewers.

Team Fortress: 93!!
The entire price of the orange box is about the same price as Halo 3.
http://www.metacritic.com/games/platfor ... rtress%202

Half-Life 2 EP 2: Score of a 92
This is only an episode, an EPISODE!!!! Valve gives you a game of a 92 score for a fracking EPISODE ad you are complaining.
http://www.metacritic.com/games/platfor ... =half-life

Portal: Score of 88
The game is short for a reason. It is a prototype for this style game. Go through the commentary you will learn something. Not to mention the game design allows for custom maps which is going to make this game last years.
http://www.metacritic.com/games/platfor ... l?q=portal

Valve released 3 new games for the price of one. Not only are they cheap but they are all great games based on reviews from people who's words actually matter. So you think Valve is ripping you off, then have fun playing other games, because it is evident you are missing out.
ZIGGO

Post by ZIGGO » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:32 pm

Avvatar TF2 on PC is nowhere near like the 360, from people I've heard from the 360 is really laggy online and you can only have 6v6 player games MAX at least I think.
Avvatar
Veni. Legi. Docuit, inportuna.

Post by Avvatar » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:50 pm

Rioku wrote:I would like to know why everyone thinks Valve is trying to rip them off?
Not everyone, just me, and maybe joe. And my reasons are very clearly detailed in my first post.
Rioku wrote:Valve created Half-Life a revolution of a video game that most FPS's today take inspiration from. The Halo franchise takes so much from half-life. Then Valve gives us HL2 which is was a game far beyond it's time.
No disagreement here. Halflife and Halflife 2 were fantastic because of the control given to the players. But that in no way means I now have to agree with every decision the company makes from now until the end of time.
rioku wrote:Now for those of you who do not like the game. That is fine, you have every right to your opinion. But you can not criticize Valve because it is only your opinion. The critics who are far more qualified to judge a game then you are clearly see these games as great games.
LOL
rioku wrote:Valve released 3 new games for the price of one. Not only are they cheap but they are all great games based on reviews from people who's words actually matter.
LOL

ZIGGO wrote:Avvatar TF2 on PC is nowhere near like the 360, from people I've heard from the 360 is really laggy online and you can only have 6v6 player games MAX at least I think.
First of all, it was a comparison. PC servers have always given vastly more options than console servers, but they are quickly being stripped out. Secondly, the Xbox is hosting 12v12 games. People are getting it to increase the cap.
Lobsters

Post by Lobsters » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:58 pm

Rioku wrote:
Also you can get HL2ep2 and Portal for free on Demonoid.
That is illegal and disrespectful to those who put their heart into the game. I am for some types of illegal downloading but video games is not one of them because you are not being ripped off.
I didnt realize i was taking away money from the starving and oppressed. Those poor game designers will never recover from the loss we might have brought them.
I feel so ashamed and...disrespectful, my honor...my dignity gone. What will become of me? But tell me, in my hubris...what will become of THEM?

Oh and uh I agree with everything Avvatar said except I dont think HL2 is revolutionary at all.
Sizzler

Post by Sizzler » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:01 pm

this is the dumbest
Rioku

Post by Rioku » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:07 pm

Lobsters wrote:
I didn't realize i was taking away money from the starving and oppressed. Those poor game designers will never recover from the loss we might have brought them.
I feel so ashamed and...disrespectful, my honor...my dignity gone. What will become of me? But tell me, in my hubris...what will become of THEM?
So in your opinion it is ok to steel from those who are not starving?

There is a difference between DLing things like music because the music companies can not cope with the idea that the internet is a new way to supply. When downloading music you take a small risk to make a small political statement weather you intend to or not.
my reasons are very clearly detailed in my first post.
My post showed that your reasons have little basis if any at all. The only foothold you have is you want freedom to change the game. Unless I have missed something there is no valve statement saying they are going to do their best to prevent you from modding. Do you have any proof or sources to your statement that Valve is consciously trying to stop modding.
But that in no way means I now have to agree with every decision the company makes from now until the end of time.
I must not have been clear enough. The point of the statement was to show that valve has not screwed people in the past and are not screwing people now. You did not state that you thought they screwed you in the past but others did.
LOL
I do not see what is funny? Do you think your opinion is more important then a critic?

Because you are so instant I will go step bye step:
I bought the Orange Box for Portal and TF2.
So you got 2 games for the price of one. Ummm hard to see where you are coming from here.
I never even considered buying EP1.
Then why did you??? You could purchase Portal and TF2 individually you know.
So, I got 3 products I didn't want
Same statement again you waisted your own money. Is that Valves Fault??
a game with 2.5 hours of content
I guess you have never been to NYC an evening out normally costs 40+ dollars. But I guess I see where you are coming from considering you are probably just upset at yourself for not realizing your can purchase TF2 and Portal individually.
I want 32 players. I want friendly fire.
Has Valve said you will never get those???
I play a game for months not because the developers did an amazing job making it, but because they gave the players all the tools necessary to turn it into whatever they want. I still play Warcraft III, and it's almost never a normal game, its all custom maps. I still play NS, and it's never on a stock server.
Again unless I missed something Valve never said they would not allow modding.

Fuck Valve for trying to ruin something that could have been awesome.
This one is easy, look at what the critics think. The games are awesome it is not Valve that screwed you. You just do not like what are generally considered great games.
Ronin

Post by Ronin » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:17 pm

Do you think your opinion is more important then a critic?
Do you think a critic's opinion is more important than his?
joe wrote:ignore all the dipshits, thanks for the post :)
Sizzler

Post by Sizzler » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:19 pm

hey guys I'm going to sit down on my computer and type for several minutes on how you are wrong about your opinion on a video game
Lobsters

Post by Lobsters » Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:46 am

Rioku wrote:
Lobsters wrote:
I didn't realize i was taking away money from the starving and oppressed. Those poor game designers will never recover from the loss we might have brought them.
So in your opinion it is ok to steel from those who are not starving?

There is a difference between DLing things like music because the music companies can not cope with the idea that the internet is a new way to supply. When downloading music you take a small risk to make a small political statement weather you intend to or not.
There's not much difference, both industries make enormous amounts of money on
a product who's main service is simply entertainment and the ones making the most money tend to be those doing the least work. Pirating helps limit the amount of money a company can make therefore keeping that company's power in check. It wont destroy the company because at least for now the vast majority of the consuming people are either ignorant or too moronic to be pirating at least some of these entertainment products. And if everyone in the world suddenly had the means and knowledge to pirate products made by the companies of these entertainment industries then I would be against pirating because I would fear it would cause a collapse of at least part of a nation or the world's economy not because I would care much about the members or employees of the game company themselves. If that particular part of the entertainment industry is to die and entertainment to come free in that form than I'd like it for that part to slowly erode away due to pirating and other costs to it so that the economy can deal with it. Although I would be sympathetic to those that might lose their jobs as a result of a collapse in that industry.

I hope that made sense because I dont know if im thinking all that clearly right now.

Semantics:

Its not even technically stealing as much as it is finding a free way to get to their product, pirating. http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=steal
It would be stealing from Valve if I were to have actually taken a physical copy of game directly from Valve.
In contrast to: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pirate
to use or reproduce (a book, an invention, etc.) without authorization or legal right: to pirate hit records.

I know you may have not been saying that stealing and pirating are the same thing but its an argument commonly used even by the anti-piracy side especially by the likes of the RIAA and I just wanted to make that point in case anyone else might think of it that way.
Sizzler

Post by Sizzler » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:39 am

I would like to add that anyone who BUYS games solely on reviews is a moron
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:08 am

keep the posts about the topic on hand, avoid sarcastic insulting posts. quoting someone and just replying "LOL" makes you look stupid. rioku made a lot of reasonable points, you can either disagree with them and explain why or just leave it. but don't make it personal.
"To perceive is to suffer" - Aristotle
mbaxter appreciates the beef