joe
The Big Cheese

Re: Wii = pirate paradise

Post by joe » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:58 pm

new version of backup loader, it's fucking awesome:

now works with 1:1 copies (no patching/decryption needed

fast drive speed means no more jerky/ruined FMV/cutscenes

more compatibility

SDHC now supported for 16GB or more of storage!

so i got guitar hero to work and it's fucking awesome, works perfectly. :D
"To perceive is to suffer" - Aristotle
mbaxter appreciates the beef
ayeyah

Post by ayeyah » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:25 pm

Nintendo recently rolled out an anti-homebrew/anti-ROM patch, but the homebrew guys managed to get an update around it. Still, it's kind of annoying.
STEAM_0:0:2611885
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:24 pm

eh they have like half a dozen backdoors that they already have waiting for patches if the existing backdoor is ever fully blocked, which might not ever happen. and you don't really need to update the wii anyway, so far all the updates have been bullshit like making the picture channel (lol) NOT play mp3's, which is actually a downgrade. so it's nothing to worry about.
ayeyah

Post by ayeyah » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:22 am

Bump.
I got this working too. I also downgraded from System Menu 3.4 (lame patches) to 3.2.

The thing is, some games come bundled with updates (Super Mario Galaxy, SSBB, Mario Kart, etc). You have to be sure to download the correct version of the game (NTSC vs PAL), or else the auto-update in these games could brick your console. Alternatively, you could patch the images to remove the updates, but I think some games don't work when you do that.

And apparently, you have to use DVD-R, not DVD+R, when burning discs. I found that out the hard way and ran to the store today to buy a spool of DVD-Rs =[

Actually, DVD+Rs are just less compatible (as I found out), but I found some more information on the laser problem...I'm not a hardware engineer so I have no idea if this is credible or not:
http://wiiforumet.se/teknisk-utredning- ... t4175.html
When you continuously use DVD+R in your wii, the little piece of data that is in the disc that sets the booktype for the disc to be read on the wii, the laser have to strain itself to read the data and after a while, the laser starts to break down causing the laser to have difficulty to read the media after a while, so the only way to allow normal function of the wii's laser is to turn down the pot in the laser from 700ohms to 600ohms or worse yet 500ohms, but this tweak kills the laser faster if you don't know what you are doing.

[...]

All this info I just said it is no where to be found on the net......I modify gaming systems and repair high-end equipment for the past 12 years, so everything I do is through trial and error, I sat down and with my PS2 some alcohol to drink (lol), an oscilloscope and other testing equipment and a bunch of dvd-r and dvd+r medias I began testing the behavior of the laser when reading the two different medias and I see for myself that the laser don't have to add extra voltage to read the dvd-r media as a matter of fact, it uses the same original laser voltage when reading dvd-r, but with the dvd+r, the laser was behaving very erratic and the laser voltage was clipping therefore causing the game to force itself to read the data also freezes in between game intros. I've tried the same method on my wii also and it shows me the same thing too.
So that is my little theory on dvd-r and dvd+r
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:13 am

that sounds pretty bogus to me, lasers don't "work harder." it's either a 1 bit or a 0 bit or an error. but i don't know anything about it so meh who knows
Sizzler

Post by Sizzler » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:40 am

there was that sort of controversy with burned dreamcast games, lots of people with broken dreamcasts would blame burned games

I don't think it was ever really proven though, dreamcasts break pretty often
Cc_Hairy

Post by Cc_Hairy » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:41 am

does this still work?
bin laden wrote:I still think bush is the one that did all the shit
http://activistnews.blogspot.com/
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:17 pm

yep been playing rock band 2 every day yeehaww
scobywhru
Xfire: scobywhru

Post by scobywhru » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:50 pm

There is an pack I found but has since been removed from gbatemp.net that combined the 3 major softmods into a nice package in wad format making it extremely easy to hack a wii PM me if you want to try it I haven't bothered since it requires I remove my current softmods first.

Any one interested in hacking there wii the first step is to install the Homebrew Channel and then get a WAD Manager
Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy wrote:He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.
RaGE

Post by RaGE » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:17 pm

damn i want to try this because i never use my wii and i dont see any games worth buying
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:23 pm

rage it's simple

download the twilight hack, it's just some tiny files
put them on an SD card (or a microSD in an SD adapter) - 2GB or smaller, larger than that is HCSD and might not work

use the wii memory management menu to put the saves from the SD card to the wii storage

start twilight princess and load the game (there are 2 versions of the TP disk and 2 versions of the save, make sure you have the right one)

it should pop up some linux shit for a minute then restart and youll have the homebrew channel in your main wii channels

then download wiigator onto the sd card (you might have to update the CIOS, it's all explained pretty simply) and follow instructions. really you don't have to do anything more complicated than downloading files and a few button presses on the wii remote to get it to work.

then download a wii game (there are a small number that don't work like mortal kombat), burn it to a dvd and put it in the drive, start up wiigator and load the backup. should work perfectly.

the first time i did it i didn't know what to expect but it took me 30 mins at the most to get it working. and now that it works i don't have to do anything to play backups except start the backup loader instead of clicking on the disk channel
ayeyah

Post by ayeyah » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:23 am

At one point in the downgrade process I nearly shit myself and thought I had bricked my wii when the installer told me something about a region mismatch (even though both said USA), and it turns out that was just a common glitch.

The thing about downgrading is that you have to be careful in checking what games require which IOS to run, and which install system menu updates and stuff. And be absolutely sure that the games you're downloading are either from your region, or are update-blocked (via Wii Update Remover or BrickBlocker). The last thing you want is to brick your wii by installing a PAL update onto your NTSC console, which seems to have happened to many people. As long as you're careful it's fine; I'm playing a couple of Japanese-only import games without any problems (after changing the regions and blocking the updates on the disc image).

And apparently, you want to burn the disc as slowly as possible; 2x is good. I have no idea why a wii disc should be any different though.
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:46 am

i never changed the IOS except the first time i installed wiigator. after that i haven't done anything except play games. i've read that some games will try to patch the system but i haven't had that problem myself, and i download whatever images i find. maybe i've just been lucky but it hasn't been complicated at all for me.
ayeyah

Post by ayeyah » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:57 am

I don't think very many games patch to System Menu 3.4 or the evil updates yet. There's a few partial lists online that tell you which games contain which updates, but if in doubt, I suppose you could just try burning a disc with the updates brickblocked (though in rare cases that might screw part of the game up...i.e. Mario Kart channel uninstallable).
jermm

Post by jermm » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:29 pm

got my wii hacked, need to download Boom Blox to see if it works.