The Left4Dead mapping and mappack discussion zone

Like such as the NIPPER
Dr.Boo

Re: The Left4Dead mapping and mappack discussion zone

Post by Dr.Boo » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:49 am

NIPPER wrote:I'm almost ready with the finale, hopefully the nav won't have any problems. I don't think it will. Then I just have to keep playing with moria until I can figure out the damn nav thing.
Don't forget to MARK Ladder those ladders in the holes in Moria too :ahhh:
Every time a bot fell in, I had no choice but to suicide and restart or leave him behind.
joe wrote:what's it like, being stupid? try to describe it for us please
NIPPER

Post by NIPPER » Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:33 pm

those are marked.

I still have no clue how to fix moria. I went through every trouble report, the only thing that comes up with selected areas is nav_trouble_report corner_to_corner. everything else listed here http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki ... ation_flow is fine. I'm all out of ideas. I've tried getting rid of the doors, getting rid of the breakables, nothing works. The second time you start the map you get the nav errors popup.

I think I'm just going to have to release it like this and hope someone else out there can figure it out. The map is still playable and it still spawns zombies after the first little area even though it says the flow is broken.
Dr.Boo

Post by Dr.Boo » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:32 pm

NIPPER wrote:those are marked.

I still have no clue how to fix moria. I went through every trouble report, the only thing that comes up with selected areas is nav_trouble_report corner_to_corner. everything else listed here http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki ... ation_flow is fine. I'm all out of ideas. I've tried getting rid of the doors, getting rid of the breakables, nothing works. The second time you start the map you get the nav errors popup.

I think I'm just going to have to release it like this and hope someone else out there can figure it out. The map is still playable and it still spawns zombies after the first little area even though it says the flow is broken.
Yeah it's a beta release after all. We might find something by playing it several times with other people or something. I'm gonna send you a link to my map in a few minutes. It's uploading. Do you need anything esle from me?
NIPPER

Post by NIPPER » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:03 pm

Boo, I noticed sounds didn't work for your map. Also, saferoom items didn't carry over from your map to the finale map. Dunno what that is about, I noticed strange things with saferoom items before on my maps. You may want to send me the sounds so I can just vpk them if you pakratted them. or I guess I could extract them myself.

Moria is hard as fuck. The fact that the bots don't grab their healthkits is a big part of that but still.... What a difference advanced makes, I had always tested it on normal and it seemed easy. I'm looking forward to all the complaints I get from that map :twisted: I supposed human players will make it easier but with bots holy shit. I tried 3 times before I finally just noclipped to the last hall and then barely made it out alive from there.

Anyway Boo if you're ok with your map I should have a test version for j2 to try out tomorrow night. Then if everything is in order we can finally release this duder.

edit:
NAV ERRORS BACK ON HAUNTS
same problem as moria. works fine unless you die and restart, then it breaks. :? Going to release anyway.
AMMO

Post by AMMO » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:32 pm

Can you have more or less than five maps in a campaign?
NIPPER

Post by NIPPER » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:43 pm

As I wrapped up an enjoyable hour playing the game, Faliszek talked to me briefly about the game's map editor, which he said would be available, for PC, "right away" when the game comes out. It will be more powerful than the first game's, allowing map-makers to, among other things, affect the weather and adjust the behavior of the game's AI gameplay director, which adjusts the flow of the action depending on how successfully players are getting through things.
http://kotaku.com/5352506/left-4-dead-2 ... and-swords
Dr.Boo

Post by Dr.Boo » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:49 pm

NIPPER wrote:
As I wrapped up an enjoyable hour playing the game, Faliszek talked to me briefly about the game's map editor, which he said would be available, for PC, "right away" when the game comes out. It will be more powerful than the first game's, allowing map-makers to, among other things, affect the weather and adjust the behavior of the game's AI gameplay director, which adjusts the flow of the action depending on how successfully players are getting through things.
http://kotaku.com/5352506/left-4-dead-2 ... and-swords
That's fucking awesome. More freedom means more fun. But it could also mean idiot mappers abusing it and making the AI Dir do crazy and overdone stuff.
AMMO

Post by AMMO » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:53 pm

gimmick maps
Grndslmhttr3
these pretzels are making me thirsty
<font color=#004000>these pretzels are making me thirsty</font>

Post by Grndslmhttr3 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:18 pm

AMMO wrote:gimmick maps
Yes please
Hellboy wrote:Oh shucks, I forgot to take a nap and went on an online forum and posted about how big my dick is again!
3DS Friend Code: 1435-5380-2533
Dr.Boo

Post by Dr.Boo » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:49 am

Some interesting shit about the upcoming L4D2 SDK.
http://www.l4dmods.com/index.php?option ... &Itemid=13

And for those who really really can't wait any more:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... hlight=SDK
or
http://www.l4dmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=4358

Damn.. I wish I could find a good modeller to work with me. I have a few ideas in mind but since I can't model for shit...
ehlohel
that's why they call me Mr. Fahrenheit
<b><i>that's why they call me Mr. Fahrenheit</i></b>

Post by ehlohel » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:24 pm

a lot of times, you can just make a texture and make the background transparent, and if you make that the theme it works well.
so, a brush 1 unit thick, 60 units wide and 128 units tall, a toony christmas tree texture with nodraw on the back, or intersecting like an X to create a sort of 3D effect.
sometimes that theme just fits quite well.
Naticus

Post by Naticus » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:39 pm

I'm looking forward to the new L4D2 sdk release. I had started working on a campaign for L4D1 that was based off of Shaun of the Dead. The project is called "Left 4 Winchester". I had been working mostly on the Winchester and Lizz's flat. Here is a WIP of the Winchester:

A Shaun of the Dead campaign really makes much more sense in the upgraded L4D2. The melee weapons are a big plus. And there is already a cricket bat! Now we just need to work out the shovel and a way to chuck LPs.

So while eagerly anticipating the new SDK tools, has anyone figured out a way to access the materials and models from L4D2 yet? I was able to compile them from the VPK file but for some reason the VTF files won't work. :(

Right now I'm thinking about mapping the building from Die Hard for CS:S in the mean time. But I wonder if continuing to map for CS:S is a waste of time. Is the game too old?
Grndslmhttr3
these pretzels are making me thirsty
<font color=#004000>these pretzels are making me thirsty</font>

Post by Grndslmhttr3 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:50 pm

the Shaun of the Dead campaign is a great idea
Hellboy wrote:Oh shucks, I forgot to take a nap and went on an online forum and posted about how big my dick is again!
3DS Friend Code: 1435-5380-2533
Dr.Boo

Post by Dr.Boo » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:45 am

Naticus wrote:Right now I'm thinking about mapping the building from Die Hard for CS:S in the mean time. But I wonder if continuing to map for CS:S is a waste of time. Is the game too old?
It's not that it's too old, but it's just that the bar for CS:S maps is really really low. There are a shitload of shitty, poorly designed, undetailed, orange textured, blocky and horribly looking piece of shits for CS:S and any quality map would problably just drown in all those shitty maps anyways. Worst part is, those shitty maps are actually played a lot.

So yeah, it's a waste of time because nobody will even notice your map let alone play it.