Night Terror - A j2 l4d campaign - beta 1 and beyond

Like such as the NIPPER
Pentagram.J2

Re: Night Terror - A j2 l4d campaign - beta 1 and beyond

Post by Pentagram.J2 » Tue May 04, 2010 5:03 pm

Dr.Boo wrote:
NIPPER wrote:yeah so this isn't coming out for l4d2, I give up
The nav'ing is in such a bad shape is it? It's a pity but I can somewhat understand you. We've been working on the same thing for over a year. I can see how you're tired of the same project. I got to admit I really wouldn't want to have to start fixing shit on my map neither. I just wanna do something new.

SECONDLY, this was sent by Chet Faliszek on the L4D Mapper Mailing list:
1st. We are going to start including community content on our dedicated servers. We have our first test up in our data centers. For this test, each data center has 40 instances dedicated to community content.

What this means. If the custom campaign is on our servers, while players will still need to download it from one of the other sites (l4dmaps.com etc), they will be able to play on dedicated servers. This should improve the experience for most players. We will also be making posts and promoting the campaigns on our blog in the coming weeks.
I currently have 2 campaigns up for testing. You can mail me a link to your campaign if you would like to be included. We do ask that your campaigns only include work that you have the legal right to use and for the start, we are only looking for finished campaigns (we will update them at your request of course but looking for campaigns with a lower churn rate at first because I am doing this by hand for now). We also always reserve the right to not host any Campaign.
The first two up for playing are Dead City 2 and City 17. Make sure to give feedback to the designers, be it on this list, in forums, or on sites. Please try and connect and play on our dedicated servers, let me know how it is.
So this will basically kill Night Terror since there is not a chance it will pass the "no copyright material" criteria and if it will never be played on official dedicated servers and only on shitty modded servers nobody plays on, why even waste time? Other campaigns that do get endorsed by Valve will totally push Night Terror away because they get promoted by Valve thelmselves and Night Terror won't because of the legal issue.
Our fault, we shouldn't thought about the legal issue before starting.

So... yeah. If we make a Night Terror 2, I say we don't base it on anything existing and we don't port arena-type CS:S maps because we see how converted arena-type maps are a bitch to make a nav for. A linear lay-out is easier. I'm currently working on a map that is nearly finished which i was planning to use for a mini-campaign i'd like to make, but if Nipper is interested in making another campaign, I'll keep it for that.
actually, night terror 1 could still exist. The only one i see you having an actual problem with is the haunted mansion with the voice clip from the actual ride, which can be easily fixed by A) either mixing up the dialogue a bit to avoid copyright infringement, or B) Satirize it, as then it would be protected by copyright law and the fair use policies. For the others, simply remove the posters on the walls, and you should be good to go.
"The flow if time is always cruel. Its speed seems different for each person, but no one can change it..."

"The wind......it is blowing...."
Dr.Boo

Post by Dr.Boo » Tue May 04, 2010 5:08 pm

It's an almost exact duplicate using it's textures and construction.
Same goes for Moria.
You'd have to scrap the whole maps in order not to mess with the law. Getting inspired from a movie is one thing, recreating the whole thing and using the idea as a whole is another. You'd have to ask a lawyer for this specific case.

And Valve is simply not gonna do that nor take the risk.
joe wrote:what's it like, being stupid? try to describe it for us please
NIPPER

Post by NIPPER » Tue May 04, 2010 5:55 pm

I'm not worried about it not ending up on official dedicated servers. I took both maps yesterday and made sure the infected always have a way through and still the navs don't work after you die. I have a few more things to try so I didn't really give up yet.

With Night Terror 2 I think we should try it without any custom content, unless you make your own textures obviously. But I think I'm gonna try making my maps with only valve content. It won't be very "abstract" but it'll be much less of a hassle for me. It shouldn't be "Night Terror" since the whole point of NT was that everything is a reference to movies and whatnot. Doing that pretty much requires some questionable copyright stuff.
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Tue May 04, 2010 6:15 pm

no matter what NT2 or whatever your next map is, i think NT was a tremendous effort and really amazing and fun to play, so well done
"To perceive is to suffer" - Aristotle
mbaxter appreciates the beef
stickbeast

Post by stickbeast » Tue May 04, 2010 6:42 pm

FYI, Night Terror is like the only reason I still have L4D1 installed.
Django wrote:Why would you want to eat a deer, that animal is dirty.
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Tue May 04, 2010 6:53 pm

65 kills? rank 0? wtf stickbeast play more bfbc2
NIPPER

Post by NIPPER » Tue May 04, 2010 7:42 pm

making the stretch room optional (like it was way back in beta 1) fixed the major nav breakage but I still feel like it isn't spawning enough common zombies in a lot of areas. Like none in most of the first half of the map, unless you trigger the stretch room.

I wish I had a "no cooldown after events" flag for the director
I wish I could use something like "nav_escape_route_manual_record"
Or maybe "nav_analyze_for_nipper_map" that just fills the whole map with common zombies

naving really has taken most of the fun out of map making
mbaxter
Now With Added Calcium!
<b>Now With <font color=#00689c>Added Calcium!</font></b>

Post by mbaxter » Tue May 04, 2010 8:14 pm

What about making the stretch room a triggered event in terms of survivors pressing a button which triggers (eventually) the door opening after it runs the sequence. That sort of thing works on other maps, why not this one.
NIPPER

Post by NIPPER » Tue May 04, 2010 9:28 pm

if you can figure that out you win the prize

I think it's because the room becomes completely sealed off. Plus the only way in for infected is at a 45 degree angle which the navs don't like. especially when you cover it with breakable walls and nav blockers to prevent them from breaking before the ceiling raises. It's basically a giant clusterfuck of stuff you shouldn't do.

Now as to why moria isn't working, I have no idea.
mbaxter
Now With Added Calcium!
<b>Now With <font color=#00689c>Added Calcium!</font></b>

Post by mbaxter » Tue May 04, 2010 10:14 pm

I thought I remembered one map holding off the hoard for a period of time after activating the crescendo or whatever it is. Could you maybe have it so there aren't any zombies before the room, then activate the hoard at the time the ceiling is ready? Perhaps make the entrance door not a door such that zombies could in theory enter (opaque covering or something), but the hoard doesn't trigger until the door "opens" (transparent) again? Just have to trick it into thinking there are possible paths, but don't trigger the hoard until they'd make sense to be used.
Dr.Boo

Post by Dr.Boo » Wed May 05, 2010 2:30 am

It's simple: nav'ing sucks. Every nerve, tendon and muscle in my body hates it.
I'm still gonna make custom textures for maps I make. Perhaps not a 100% custom texture map, but still parts of it.
Anyways, it's a pity for Night Terror on L4D2, but well, I can understand it gets frustrating after a while. I say if you still have one last thing to try, try it if you still want to but don't kill yourself doing this.

I have a map good as done which I've been working on for a mini campaign, but I'm really willing to keep it for another campaign. I'd like to make 2 maps this time though.
I'm really gonna refrain from using any copyrighted stuff.

By the way, if you'd like me to make textures for you, let me know.
By the way II: ForcePanicEvent forces a panic event on the director without taking the cooldown into effect.
stickbeast

Post by stickbeast » Wed May 05, 2010 2:48 am

haha, yeah, I tend to not play bad company 2 because of the retarded server browser, i hate how long it takes to find servers, and how the ones they find with low ping are empty, and the ones with people in my ping is over 150...and I have fucking Cable internet and live in SoCal so I do not understand why its so bad. I mean to play more if they manage to sort that thing out.

Damn, that stretch room part in the original Night Terror was fucking awesome. I was going to make a survival map in a theater. where triggering the horde would be starting a movie projector that plays part of a zombie movie, then has the horde rip through the screen, like in Demons/Zombi.

I figured it would be the same thing as the stretch room, and was gonna ask you folks how to do it when I got to that part, but I guess Nav'ing is a shitload harder than it looks.
Django wrote:Why would you want to eat a deer, that animal is dirty.
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Wed May 05, 2010 5:18 am

not to derail the thread further but they fixed the server browser. put a check in the top 2 boxes and an X in the next 4 boxes, and in region choose north america, and the refresh takes about 1 second. sort by players and join the first one with <100 ping
Dr.Boo

Post by Dr.Boo » Wed May 05, 2010 6:16 am

Guys guys please go talk about Bad Company in the Bad Company forums. I don't want to boss you around and shit but I'd like to keep this thread more or less on track.
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Wed May 05, 2010 2:28 pm

my fault sorry no more bfbc2 posts here