My first L4D custom map...some help please?

Like such as the NIPPER
stickbeast

My first L4D custom map...some help please?

Post by stickbeast » Thu May 20, 2010 9:33 pm

So I have a creative project for a class called New Media, to do by the 25th of May. I decided to recreate part of UCI (outlined in magenta)

And turn it into a survival map. I've never made a map with hammer before, but I looked through a bunch of tutorials and instructions and I think I get the gist of using brushes. But I don't just want to recreate part of UCI, I want to add some fun/silly stuff inside to make reference to pop culture, since that was one of the things we touched on in class. The end project will be a video of the process of making the map, and playing the map.

The trigger will be in the lecture hall for class (outlined in red.) It is build very much like a cinema, mainly because it is made for us film studies majors to watch movies on actual prints. I wanted to make the trigger a projector, and have it show part of the film called Demons.

and have the zombies break out of the screening room like they do in the film (zombies coming out of a movie about zombies coming out of a movie about zombies) I only want the trigger to work when all survivors are inside the room and the doors are all closed.

I want the lecture hall to have all of the equipment, but make it the hardest place to defend. When the player realizes its suicide staying in there, the player should leave, but the doors only open after the zombies start pouring in. When it becomes obvious they must leave and open the door, I would like to create a glowing red cylinder with Master Control's (from Tron) face on it, that starts descending from the sky towards the survivors when they reach the bridge outside saying NOO!

and tries to smash them. Touching him will result in an instant death. If you don't move fast enough, you wont be able to use the bridge, but as soon as you do, a tank will spawn and try to kill you by knocking you back into Master Control. I have no idea how to make it, or even if it is possible in l4d2?

There's a sign on campus (its like an electric billboard kind of thing, where it tells us students here about upcoming events, don't know the proper name for it) that I would like to add to my map, and make it zombie apocalypse appropriate. Its marked in green. I want it to paint a kind of picture about what happened to UCI when the zombies hit, and warn about "strange behavior" and encourage people to wash their hands and what not. When swine flu hit, it was pretty much filled with warnings about the spread, and telling us to get vaccinated. I think including it in my map will both make it seem more like UCI and kind of satirizing the fear swine flu.

4. There's a pub on campus (marked in blue), which i would like to add into my map, making it the only other room I plan on making. I want it to have a jukebox with custom tracks. It is my understanding that custom sounds don't work anymore with regular maps, if this is the case, I could change my files and record myself playing with the files I want the viewer to hear. Inside the pub there are various TV screens, i would like them to be interactive. Upon activating one of them, I want to play a clip of another famous AI (HAL 9000), that again tries to screw you over by calling zombies into the pub.

Basically, I want to make the map as cinematic as possible. I don't want it to feel like another custom survival L4D2 map, but something people who don't play games can understand. It starts exploring the deserted and zombified campus, the protagonist sees familiar things in the aftermath of a zombie plague. The protagonist attends lecture and finds it littered with corpses in the lecture seats, and starts the movie/calls for help. The player is then zombies and discovers that the lecture hall is a death trap, and decides to head somewhere safe, somewhere familiar, and ends up making a mad dash towards the pub. Outside, Master Control makes an appearance and tries to kill you, but the joy of surviving his suprise attack will be short lived, as a tank comes out of nowhere and tries to cooperate with Master Control in killing your ass. When the survivors defeat the tank and escape Master Control's wrath, they make it to the pub and try to hide out in there, but Hal appears on the monitors and goes "Just what do you think you are doing?" The pub gets overrun by zombies and the protagonists die.

So that's my basic idear, some tips would be appreciated.
Django wrote:Why would you want to eat a deer, that animal is dirty.
AMMO

Re: My first L4D custom map...some help please?

Post by AMMO » Thu May 20, 2010 9:42 pm

You're definitely not gonna get this done in 5 days.
Avvatar
Veni. Legi. Docuit, inportuna.

Post by Avvatar » Thu May 20, 2010 10:18 pm

AMMO wrote:You're definitely not gonna get this done in 5 days.
Hah. Didn't even notice the deadline.
I was just going to say that you can't really post an entire project, ask for "tips" and expect to get any truly helpful advice. When you run into problems is going to be the best time to ask for advice. But yeah, 5 days is nowhere near enough time for this. This is a 4-5 week project you just laid out.
stickbeast

Post by stickbeast » Thu May 20, 2010 11:33 pm

4 to 5 weeks? Damn. How much of that is feasible for 5 days? Could always spruce it up later. Also, my thinking in posting that long description was to make a kind of frame of reference for the future for when I DO run into problems.
Avvatar

Post by Avvatar » Fri May 21, 2010 12:36 am

If this is your first map? Not much.
Try to map out the interior of the theater. See how long that takes.
stickbeast

Post by stickbeast » Wed May 26, 2010 10:24 pm

so i've got all the geometry and textures i want in and everything for the assignment, but i was curious about this "env_explosion" entity. Would it be possible to trigger a massive explosion if a player opens a door/interects with object?
AMMO

Post by AMMO » Wed May 26, 2010 10:57 pm

Yeah just have the trigger device output to the env_explosion "on use" "explode" or something like that.
stickbeast

Post by stickbeast » Wed May 26, 2010 11:35 pm

haha, i set the explosions damage to something ridiculous and the explosion killed my whole team. thanks, i'm looking forward to playing with my friends and "forgetting" to tell the about the death door.
stickbeast

Post by stickbeast » Mon May 31, 2010 2:09 pm

So I finished what I wanted to finish for my project, but I still want to bring my initial idea to life. I noticed that rotating buildings kinda fucks up your measurements when want to fine tune something, like if you discover that the building is too long or too wide. As you can see, the buildings are not parallel with each other, so if I were to build them accurately in Hammer I'd have to use the rotating tool. So would it be easier to construct a building with brushes first, THEN rotate it, or is there a way to adjust the length and width of rotated brushes without screwing up your proportions?

Also, is there an easy way to select all brushes in an area without having to hit ctrl+mouse 1 on every single one?
Axis Denied

Post by Axis Denied » Mon May 31, 2010 2:33 pm

Use your selection tool and in any of the two dimensional views just left click and drag a box and hit enter. Mind you this selects everything within that box and not just the top layer, etc.

Also, for rotated structures, it was recommended to me NOT to use the rotate thing, but to just use the clipping tool so you'll have more accurate grid snaps.

At least this is what it is for TF2 mapping and since they're both using Hammer, I'm sure the concepts are the same.
stickbeast

Post by stickbeast » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:23 pm

In case anyone is interested, here's my project. The point it was trying to make was a theme in the class about how the technology and information has become democratized in the digital age, or the "new media" age. People don't need to be experts of code, professional game makers or software engineers to mod games. Information has become democratized to make anyone and everyone able to do the basic things I did. I had no experience with hammer, and literally learned everything I did by use of Google, and asking a few folks here on some of the specifics of hammer. Also, I only used free programs, with the exception of Left 4 Dead 2, to do what I did, which also helps prove my point.

Avvatar

Post by Avvatar » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:26 pm

stickbeast wrote:In case anyone is interested, here's my project. The point it was trying to make was a theme in the class about how the technology and information has become democratized in the digital age, or the "new media" age. People don't need to be experts of code, professional game makers or software engineers to mod games. Information has become democratized to make anyone and everyone able to do the basic things I did. I had no experience with hammer, and literally learned everything I did by use of Google, and asking a few folks here on some of the specifics of hammer. Also, I only used free programs, with the exception of Left 4 Dead 2, to do what I did, which also helps prove my point.
Thats more like what you can accomplish in 5 days. Kudos.
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:09 pm

nice job bro, thought provoking and interesting
"To perceive is to suffer" - Aristotle
mbaxter appreciates the beef