Abstract Map Pack 2010 ?

Like such as the NIPPER
KoD
KoD [@at] joe . to
<b>KoD</b> <i>[@at]</i> <u>joe</u> . to

Re: Abstract Map Pack 2010 ?

Post by KoD » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:30 pm

Dr.Boo wrote:If you use any copyrighted songs, it will ruin all chances of that ever happening to this campaign.
I've been meaning to ask, we can use song loops as long as the lyrics are removed, correct?
I.e., all of those pink floyd loops where nobody is singing.

I was going to get started on a few logos as soon as I get home from FL.
I've already got some custom sounds, a few working ideas, and ATM I've been working on a final map layout + transitions, etc...
AlphaKennyOne

Post by AlphaKennyOne » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:05 pm

Yeah, that's true. I'll hold off on the custom sounds, then. Maybe I can distort the official L4D2 music in some wacky way. That should still be ok, right? Since you mentioned it, we should decide on who does the intro & finale, and all that other stuff - and maybe make up some silly storyline for the whole campaign. In fact, i'll come up with something, right now.

What about having the campaign set in a world that starts off looking relatively normal, but becomes more and more abstract as the campaign continues, all resulting in some crazy-ass abstract finale fight in order to return the world to its normal state using some silly, unexplainable deus ex machina. Like, just the first part of the first map starts off in a normal setting like every other L4D campaign, then the abstract setting overtakes it more and more. My initial thought about how the finale would be, since we've used the idea enough in our CS maps, was to have it set in some big abstract dance club. The survivors must use the magical turntable to turn back time and restore peace to the world - and stuff. It would be cool to get club remixes of the game music for that segment, but that may be asking too much. How cool would that be, though? Would definitely make us stand out a bit.

That's just some preliminary ideas to help get the ball rolling. Also, I have a trial version of 3DS Max 2010 that's good for 17 more days. If anyone needs a basic prop for their map that isn't available in the SDK, I can make it. I just learned how to use Max and export models for use in source, so I can make basic stuff, but nothing too complex yet. If anyone has a prop they want in their map, and if i'm capable of making it, ask me and i'll give it a try. A bit early to ask, I know, but until I find a version of Max I can keep for longer, I can only do so much at the moment.
There used to be a signature here, but it's gone now.
Optics

Post by Optics » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:09 am

can you do subliminal messages somehow in hammer? I think that would be sweet. having flickered letters on the screen going real quick but still noticeable every 5 minutes. (or gradually getting more noticeable later on in each map. I also like the idea of waking up and it all being a nightmare. at the end of the final campaign running towards the white pathway whilst getting chased like this...
you know... we've all seen that scene.

Just an idea.
Neelpos
Error 404: Title not found

Post by Neelpos » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:01 pm

KipperTheDog.j2 wrote:can you do subliminal messages somehow in hammer? I think that would be sweet. having flickered letters on the screen going real quick but still noticeable every 5 minutes. (or gradually getting more noticeable later on in each map. I also like the idea of waking up and it all being a nightmare. at the end of the final campaign running towards the white pathway whilst getting chased like this...
you know... we've all seen that scene.

Just an idea.
Yeah, that's the ending to Night Terror :/
kingscrub wrote:HEY NEELPOS WHY DONT YOU SHOVE THAT RETARDED SMILEYFACE AVATAR UP YOUR ASS.
Chief Cheese

Post by Chief Cheese » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:04 pm

KoD wrote:
Dr.Boo wrote:If you use any copyrighted songs, it will ruin all chances of that ever happening to this campaign.
I've been meaning to ask, we can use song loops as long as the lyrics are removed, correct?
I don't know about Valve policy and all that stuff, but just taking out the lyrics will not prevent copyright issues. I mean, maybe you could incorporate that somehow legally, like under parody or "art" or some shit like that. Or make a song that sounds like it and call it a parody. But since when did something being legal prevent a copyright lawsuit?
i <3 cheese. cheese <3 evry1. u= an every1. thus, by transitive property i <3 u
Chief Cheese the amazing wrote:
Neelpos wrote:I eat pig fetuses. Like the kind they dissect in biology classes. Formaldehyde and all. After I have sex with them of course. Also, I loved George Bush and donate all my money to Family Radio.
Dr.Boo

Post by Dr.Boo » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:36 pm

KoD wrote:

I was going to get started on a few logos as soon as I get home from FL.
I've already got some custom sounds, a few working ideas, and ATM I've been working on a final map layout + transitions, etc...
When I asked that to Chet from Valve, he said the best way to make sure is to ask a lawyer. So I can't answer as I don't know myself.
joe wrote:what's it like, being stupid? try to describe it for us please
Optics

Post by Optics » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:18 pm

Yeah, that's the ending to Night Terror :/
oh :/ god damnit
NIPPER

Post by NIPPER » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:57 pm

KoD wrote:I've been meaning to ask, we can use song loops as long as the lyrics are removed, correct?
nope, still illegal

you can't use anything that you didn't create in your map
Dr.Boo

Post by Dr.Boo » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:43 pm

So who is defenitely in for this? I'd like to know so we can go ahead and start organising this (who does what part, who does the finale, etc). I'm gonna try and work on two projects simultaneously: this and my other small campaign. Working on the same thing all the time for weeks can get annoying after a while anyways.
But I'll prioritize this one if I see I can't do both.

Anyway: those who are in, please let me know in this thread.
AMMO

Post by AMMO » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:55 pm

meee
AlphaKennyOne

Post by AlphaKennyOne » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:33 pm

I'm in, and i'd like to volunteer my map to be the intro. It's going to take place in a funhouse area, with cutouts of the L4D infected.
There used to be a signature here, but it's gone now.
KoD
KoD [@at] joe . to
<b>KoD</b> <i>[@at]</i> <u>joe</u> . to

Post by KoD » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:44 pm

In, of course.
HomicidalApe

Post by HomicidalApe » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:00 am

Out. Uneless Hellboy gifts me lfd2.
"it's basically valve's fault." - Joe
"I have a very predictable pattern here: I make smarmy comments and call people on bullshit. If you start an asinine argument with me, I will not back down." - Hellboy
"the reign of hellboy has seen unprecedented prosperity! viva la hellboy! - Joe
HomicidalApe

Post by HomicidalApe » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:04 am

And if he doesn't...

"it's basically valve's fault." - Joe
"I have a very predictable pattern here: I make smarmy comments and call people on bullshit. If you start an asinine argument with me, I will not back down." - Hellboy
"the reign of hellboy has seen unprecedented prosperity! viva la hellboy! - Joe
Dr.Boo

Post by Dr.Boo » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:04 am

HomicidalApe wrote:Out. Uneless Hellboy gifts me lfd2.
When's your birthday?
And we're without Nipper aparently, he hasn't given an answer yet :(

So we have
- Ammo
- KoD
- Alpha
- Kipper (I suppose)
- We should all ship in a few bucks to gift this game to Ape
- Me

Alpha is candidate to make map 1. Who wants to make the finale?
I'd like to make map 2. Try to make the best you can guys. L4D2 campaigns get much more attention than CS:S maps.
Make it detailed, polished, add more randomness but don't just slap props and brushes together without thinking it out a bit, add vague references to shit nobody but you understands, etc.
Also try to not use func_illusionary doors. A few are ok, but don't overdo it.

In case we're more than 5 persons, we are gonna have to split one map over two people: 2 people who make one map together.
Last edited by Dr.Boo on Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.