Valve's DOTA project confirmed by third-party

multiplayer online battle arena (DotA, LoL, HoN, DotA2, etc.)
ja raul

Re: Valve's DOTA project confirmed by third-party

Post by ja raul » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:45 pm

I played dota from 2003-2009 and recently started playing LoL, I don't understand how you can say its a deeply flawed game, imo its a decent successor that is very noob friendly, but there is a certain charm about dota (mainly the diversity of the heroes and the amount of them) that will never be matched by HoN or LoL. I guess we'll just have to wait and see if valve can make a true sequel to dota that will cause people still playing wc3 to migrate over.
I just want to play techies in LoL.

*I was never in the competitive scene for any of these games, and I've tried all the spin offs save for demigod.
Sizzler

Post by Sizzler » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:26 pm

They were pointless games. HON is almost a 100% clone and has some really impressive netcode, but now they want people to pay for it so it's not worth it. League of Legends has dedicated servers and WoW gameplay gimmicks that are dumb as fuck

I don't think either clone has enough innovation tbh. WC3 DotA was limited by a ton of engine issues, why don't they try something that wasn't possible in DotA? 6v6 dota wasn't possible because there wasn't enough slots for them + observer slots, so where the fuck is that? Why is creep AI still stupid and kite-able? LoL has two maps and demigod has several, but why aren't there more?
ja raul

Post by ja raul » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:23 am

I personally prefer 3v3 in LoL, I find its a more fast paced game type comparable to -em in dota. HoN seems like it attracted the more pro players, being the direct clone. Price is an issue, but at least you get stats and a ranking system, and if it stays alive then perhaps it can be recognized in cash money tourneys, I don't see HoN as 'casual' a game compared to LoL.

I'm looking forward to sc2 dota, blizzard dudes in interviews mentioned that dota on the sc2 engine removes many limitations from the wc3 engine. I'm just wondering about how blizzard is going to intervene once that aos map is released and starts to dominate the amount of bnet traffic.
Sizzler

Post by Sizzler » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:58 am

HoN definitely tries to cater to pro players, but I'm not sure its less accessible than LoL. I like the fact that you can drop and return to games though
cold_blade

Post by cold_blade » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:11 am

Actually, DotA has gone into contested status just recently. The original team filed a counter-trademark just so Valve couldn't use the name.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/vi ... inst-Valve
Ninge wrote:Seeing how I am the oldest member here, besides joe, you must please me with something or joe
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:15 am

wow that's pretty interesting

cant wait to see what happens next
"To perceive is to suffer" - Aristotle
mbaxter appreciates the beef
Neelpos
Error 404: Title not found

Post by Neelpos » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:42 am

I think the most interesting part is that this is pretty much the first game Valve is making that probably isn't first person.
kingscrub wrote:HEY NEELPOS WHY DONT YOU SHOVE THAT RETARDED SMILEYFACE AVATAR UP YOUR ASS.
Avvatar
Veni. Legi. Docuit, inportuna.

Post by Avvatar » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:46 am

neelpos wrote:I think the most interesting part is that this is pretty much the first game Valve is making that probably isn't first person.
Alien Swarm
Neelpos

Post by Neelpos » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:49 am

Well god damn.
first non-FPS game that is starting in their studio?
kingscrub wrote:HEY NEELPOS WHY DONT YOU SHOVE THAT RETARDED SMILEYFACE AVATAR UP YOUR ASS.
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:08 am

ricochet
"To perceive is to suffer" - Aristotle
mbaxter appreciates the beef
Rat-morningstar
sexy Belgian god
<b><u>sexy Belgian god</u></b>

Post by Rat-morningstar » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:15 am

oh snap
Neelpos

Post by Neelpos » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:44 pm

Ricochet is first person, and it's technically a mod, I forget if it started in their studio or was picked up though.
Sizzler

Post by Sizzler » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:58 pm

Valve hired Icefrog for this, and he's guy who really ultimately could call himself the most important dota developer of all time. League of Legends was made under the direction of Guinsoo, but he abandoned Dota years and years ago and when he left it the map was really a lot shittier back then