FFXIV general thread

anything related to video games but not otherwise covered in another forum
joe
The Big Cheese

FFXIV general thread

Post by joe » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:53 am

FFXIV is now in open beta - anyone can join.
just go here and sign up, you should get a key within 30 seconds.
http://entry.ffxiv.com/na/index.html
if that link doesn't work you can try this one, it worked for me even when the main site was down (i clicked "Accept" and got a key in my email seconds later) but i don't know if it will work for others:
https://secure.square-enix.com/account/ ... =en&rgn=na

even if you can't get a key yet, if you want to play you should get started downloading it and patching it because that takes hours. get the 100MB installer here and run it:
http://wdl.square-enix.com/ffxiv/downlo ... vsetup.exe
it never asks you to login until the entire game is downloaded and patched. do not download the rest using the official installer because it's incredibly slow - like, it will take over a hundred hours slow. Instead, follow this guide:

when you first start it, it will patch the download client first (red background) - let it do its thing, this shouldn't take long.
when it's done patching itself it will start downloading the game (blue background). at this point, close the client and look in two folders:
C:\Users\[username]\Documents\My Games\FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version\downloads\ffxiv-beta\bca2a8ae\metainfo
C:\Users\[username]\Documents\My Games\FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version\downloads\ffxiv-beta\d96437e6\metainfo
you should find torrent files. open them all in a torrent client like utorrent. you might get server/tracker errors - ignore them.

when they are all downloading, close utorrent and move the .patch files to the matching location where you found the torrent - but not in the metainfo folder, put them in the patch folder next to it. some of them will go in bca2a8ae\patch and some will go in d96437e6\patch - just match the patch files with the torrent files in the metainfo folders. it's very simple and should be easy.

then start the download client up. it should take a minute to check the patch file (depending on your PC speed could be a few minutes for large patches) then run the patching process (which takes a long time for the large patches). then it might start downloading more patches. anyway repeat this whole process (start client, close client, run torrents, copy downloaded patch back to folder, start client again) until it's all done patching and you get a larger login window. then you are ready to play.

in the meantime, login here for the official beta forums (link at bottom of post)
at that site you can find the entire manual, controls, FAQ, starting tips, feedback threads to developers, and all the posts from the alpha and beta testers. devs ignore the main forum and only read the feedback posts so if you have suggestions or problems, don't bother making a thread in the general forum - just use the feedback forum.

things to report here: what you think of the xp limiting system (aka surplus aka fatigue), controls/UI, battle system, whatever else you feel like talking about.

useful links:
official forums https://dev-na.ffxiv.com/ubbthreads.php
server status http://www.ffxiv-status.com/
download installer http://wdl.square-enix.com/ffxiv/downlo ... vsetup.exe

J2 players create on Lindblum server in gridania. you can still create 2 more characters in other cities and other servers

installer also creates a CONFIG program, use it to change resolution and other settings.
"To perceive is to suffer" - Aristotle
mbaxter appreciates the beef
Magnus

Re: FFXIV general thread

Post by Magnus » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:54 am

just go here where?

Oh it was edited....

Aaaand the sites busy.

aaand beta applications are down....
"What isn't remembered never happened. Memory is merely a record. You just need to re-write that record."
"Ummm, if I die... It's gonna be your fault" -Mr.Blip
"J2 I am disappoint."
Gr¦m wrote:dang mangus, is that like 15 inches?
Bloodkraze

Post by Bloodkraze » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:35 pm

What server are we all on? I think Hilo said he is on figaro?

Also, keep trying that long link joe gives to get a key. I kept getting denied too saying they took down the beta applications, but 15 minutes later it just suddenly worked. So keep trying.
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:04 pm

i made a character on the server that is called something like Lundberg but i don't remember the exact name and i don't really care what server we are on.

if everyone wants to go to lundberg that's fine. you get 3 slots so you can still have 2 other characters on 2 other servers plus you can delete and create characters any time
MasterWholigans
@MasterWholigans

Post by MasterWholigans » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:48 pm

Getting the "Applications have been temorarily suspended" message, but I've just now installed it and will definitely join you guys ^^
Bloodkraze

Post by Bloodkraze » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:17 pm

After completing one Levequest, I chose to teleport back to where I got it and my game errored. :(. My computer is definitely not up to running this game at it's full potential or anywhere near it... sad.
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:42 pm

did you run the config and change to smaller resolution and lower detail?
Margrave

Post by Margrave » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:28 am

I'm crashing in the middle of almost every leve in Gridania, I played in Limsa Lominsa for over an hour without any kind of problems. Idk if its the game or my comp, others are complaining in Gridania about frequent crashes as well. Having to wait 48 hours because your game crashed is kind of a bummer, especially when you're on the tail end of a quest.
Bloodkraze

Post by Bloodkraze » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:59 am

Im having that exact same problem Margrave. I can play for a bit, but eventually I crash. After finishing one levequest at camp bentbranch (just outside gridania). I crashed. Then two more crashes after that just walking around the forest.
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:57 am

i thought the patch notes said you can restart quests if they crash?
Magnus

Post by Magnus » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:35 pm

Alright finally got this shit started up. Who is in this atm?
"What isn't remembered never happened. Memory is merely a record. You just need to re-write that record."
"Ummm, if I die... It's gonna be your fault" -Mr.Blip
"J2 I am disappoint."
Gr¦m wrote:dang mangus, is that like 15 inches?
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:53 pm

i have a character, havent played it yet. if you get in and get on vent hit me on IRC and ill go with you

i dunno who else is in. right now my character name is SURPLUS SUCKS lol
a1dan
Chills. Shoots Darts.

Post by a1dan » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:56 pm

I should be down for this evening.
ImageImageImageImage
Jason wrote:Can't wait to fall in love with a beautiful young man
Jason wrote:Like if I successfully hook up with this guy amazing shit could HAPPEN
Help me get more dropbox space!
Bloodkraze

Post by Bloodkraze » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:57 pm

I'll have to make a new character on the lindblum server.. effing gridania is gonna rape me with crashes again.
Mad_Dugan
Hyperbole much?

Post by Mad_Dugan » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:31 pm

Server is accepting beta requests again.
Sometimes the appropriate response to reality is to go insane. - Philip K. Dick
The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away. - Philip K. Dick
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan
Don't believe everything you read on the Internet - Abraham Lincoln