FFXIV general thread

anything related to video games but not otherwise covered in another forum
cold_blade

Re: FFXIV general thread

Post by cold_blade » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:54 pm

I can hardly run the game even though I have a great machine. anyone else unable to play due to horrible graphics lag? I set everything to low and had 720p resolution on fullscreen (maybe full screen broke it?). It looks alright but it's just kinda hard to follow, the way quests are presented is weird and I can't figure out what to do... at all...

On a side note: it is much much better with a controller! I'm using a PS3 controller and it works nicely.

720p resolution and a PS3 controller... now all I need is to hook it up to my 50"... hold that thought...
Ninge wrote:Seeing how I am the oldest member here, besides joe, you must please me with something or joe
MasterWholigans
@MasterWholigans

Post by MasterWholigans » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:44 pm

Any tips on how to set up the PS3 Controller? I have a 3rd party one that'd work nicely. Do you need a program like XPadder though? :3

EDIT: We should play together sometime too, I'm completely lost as well, we could help each other out ^^
Fenrir

Post by Fenrir » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:02 pm

You guys are on the Lindblum server too? My in-game name is Fenris Marduk, you might have seen me, but I don't spend that much time in Gridania. I started in Ul'dah but I've been in Limsa farming wind shards for crafting. Message me in IRC and we can meet up and do some some level 20 leves together or something.
Bloodkraze

Post by Bloodkraze » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:06 am

I believe I've seen a Fenris Marduk, what class are you?

I've been in Limsa farming wind shards also, and camping in a cave killing fireflies for crystals.
Fenrir

Post by Fenrir » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:43 am

I'm an archer, I generally solo dodo's up the path to the north. I can also be seen by my retainer in the market wards called Morehats, or crafting armor in the armorers guild.
Mad_Dugan
Hyperbole much?

Post by Mad_Dugan » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:53 am

I am already bored from the grind.

I think I will just wait for the youtube clips of the cut scenes.
Sometimes the appropriate response to reality is to go insane. - Philip K. Dick
The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away. - Philip K. Dick
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan
Don't believe everything you read on the Internet - Abraham Lincoln
Bloodkraze

Post by Bloodkraze » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:52 am

Eh.. I try to kill dodos but I still can't manage it, even at 14 physical 11 pugilist...who knows.
cold_blade

Post by cold_blade » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:45 pm

DJ_BEATBURST wrote:Any tips on how to set up the PS3 Controller? I have a 3rd party one that'd work nicely. Do you need a program like XPadder though? :3

EDIT: We should play together sometime too, I'm completely lost as well, we could help each other out ^^
This is the guide I use
http://www.hardcoreware.net/how-to-play ... s-7-vista/
It will point you towards using a program called motion joy which allows you to use all kinds of controllers. It's the only working PS3 controller drivers I've seen. It supports all features such as vibration and six-axis. The only problem (it's in the guide) is that the drivers are open source and unsigned, meaning you have to jump through hoops to use them. I turned my signature request off but that's up to you if you want to lose that tiny bit of security over convenience (it also PERMANENTLY! labels your machine as in testing mode so be warned!).

After you get it set up, you don't need to run any programs in the background. You do need to configure the controller in the FFXIV settings.

NOTE! There is NO difference between the Xbox and PS3 controller other than the obvious shape, so if you have an Xbox controller, it might be easier to just use that (Microsoft has the drivers built in to vista/7 and downloadable on XP). I don't own an Xbox so I used a PS3 controller.

Is anyone having and trouble just running the game? No matter how I configure it, it has horrible performance. My computer runs every other game/program at highest settings but I can't run FFXIV on lowest!
I have a core-i7
Nvidia 230M (1GB)
4GB of DDR3
Am I really below minimum system requirements? If I am, they are locking the vast majority of their prospective players out...
Ninge wrote:Seeing how I am the oldest member here, besides joe, you must please me with something or joe
Fenrir

Post by Fenrir » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:56 pm

Finally got the leve quest for sentinel's chainmail and found a party to complete it, too bad there is maintenance for 4 hours though.
MasterWholigans
@MasterWholigans

Post by MasterWholigans » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:33 am

Forgot to mention, my name is "Maawstar Whooligans" (Derived from MasterWholigans) and I'm on the Lindblum server as well ^^ I'll send you all friend requests when I get the chance :D Started out in Limsa Lominsa.

I'm still only Level 2 Physical, and have a main class of Armorer, level 1 (Going to switch over to Lancer when I get the chance, have Armorer as a secondary class)
Bloodkraze

Post by Bloodkraze » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:32 am

I probably won't be playing until the full game comes out. Don't want to put hours and hours in just to start over again.
MasterWholigans
@MasterWholigans

Post by MasterWholigans » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:09 am

Final Fantasy 14 Open Beta Ends 9/19/2010
Bloodkraze

Post by Bloodkraze » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:36 am

1 week till end of beta. 1 week and 3 days until the CE is finally released.. I'm getting tired of not playing so I don't wear myself out before the game comes out.
Avvatar
Veni. Legi. Docuit, inportuna.

Post by Avvatar » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:10 pm

Pretty shitty MMO if a few weeks wears you out.
Bloodkraze

Post by Bloodkraze » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:20 pm

Not really. I just don't see any point of having to do the exact same 50+ hours if I don't need to. I'm being economical.