Anonymous goes after Sony

Appears on http://www.joe.to. Gaming news or community information.
Sk1n

Re: Anonymous goes after Sony

Post by Sk1n » Tue May 10, 2011 6:22 pm

CaptainTripps wrote:And he hasn't been found in violation of anything, merely accused. The issue hasn't been adjudicated at all.
It's already been settled out of court.

He received a court ordered restraining order and a cease and desist and required to hand over all his computers and storage media that he had used. Also were granted subpoenas against Youtube to get the IPs of people who viewed it and subpoenas for the server logs for Hotz's website. Before the settlement, Hotz had said "Let's just say, I want the settlement terms to include OtherOS on all PS3s and an apology on the PlayStation blog for ever removing it". But he never got those terms. Instead he agreed to a permanent injunction to never hack another Sony product and he has even said publicly "It was never my intention to cause any users trouble or to make piracy easier." and he "will never purchase another Sony product".

From all that it sounds like he was going to be on the losing end of things and took what they were offering rather than lose in court.
I’m afraid of two things: women and snakes. They both have the ability to hurt me and make it look like it was my fault.
CaptainTripps

Post by CaptainTripps » Tue May 10, 2011 7:24 pm

Or it sounds like he doesn't have the legal resources to fight and win.

My point kind of stands, he wasn't found guilty of anything, but SONY v some scrub kid? He walked away scot free. I'd have taken a deal as well.

And I was under the impression that the injunction only involved the PS3. His statement was what he was claiming since the beginning, that he didn't hack it to make it easier o pirate.

How much info about the settlement has been released anyway? For all you know they paid his legal fees in exchange for his agreement.
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams, Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams;—World-losers and world-forsakers, On whom the pale moon gleams: Yet we are the movers and shakers Of the world for ever, it seems.
stickbeast

Post by stickbeast » Tue May 10, 2011 9:39 pm

Did the PSN come back up? If so, I take back the statement "everybody is losing."
Django wrote:Why would you want to eat a deer, that animal is dirty.
stickbeast

Post by stickbeast » Wed May 11, 2011 12:46 am

Sk1n wrote:I said time and time again it wasn't the jail breaking that was illegal.
Really? Because when you respond to my question:

"Jailbreaking the iPhone is legal, so why sue Hotz for jailbreaking the PS3?"

with
Sk1n wrote:"Because they are rated as different types of electronics and fall under different standards and regulations as well as different sets of copyright law. It's like asking why your refrigerator and toaster fall under different regulations."
It REALLY sounds like you are talking about the actual jailbreaking that was of questionable legality. But if you think its fine to jailbreak, why do you call all of these hackers and reverse engineers spoiled brats who are going "Fuck you" to Sony? It doesn't make any sense, and its hypocritical to play CSS, TF2, or use Sourcemod, which only exist due to the manipulation and publication of copyrighted software.

My question was sincere. What makes jailbreaking an iPhone different than jailbreaking a PS3? If I were to talk about a product that plays games, movies, music, and allows voice and video chat to friends and family, I could be talking about either product couldn't I? Toasters and Refrigerators are very different, one heats up food and the other keeps it fresh.

There's also commercially available products that allow you to mod other game systems, that break regional restrictions, meaning you can play a Japanese game on your American PS2. I know this because I bought one in the store for my Playstation 1 in order to play this Dragonball GT game. You can also google "<insert gaming console here> mod chip" and come up with products that jailbreak your systems. If this material is illegal, why is it so easy to find without having to go underground or in some black market?
Last edited by stickbeast on Wed May 11, 2011 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Django wrote:Why would you want to eat a deer, that animal is dirty.
CaptainTripps

Post by CaptainTripps » Wed May 11, 2011 10:24 am

To be fair, a lot of illegal stuff is easy to find. You used to be able to order the black boxes that let you steal cable over the phone and have them mailed to you, they advertised in the newspaper.

The internet is not very well regulated with regard to stuff like that, the hack and source code info are still pretty easy to find, altho probably out of date unless someone else has been keeping up with SONY in Geohot's absence.

The only real way to answer these questions is thru a trial, which we did not get here.
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams, Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams;—World-losers and world-forsakers, On whom the pale moon gleams: Yet we are the movers and shakers Of the world for ever, it seems.
brassline

Post by brassline » Fri May 27, 2011 9:17 am

This is so messed up.
Sizzler

Post by Sizzler » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:25 pm

http://gizmodo.com/5807996/hackers-spil ... e-accounts
Personal information, including passwords, email addresses, home addresses, dates of birth, and all Sony opt-in data associated with their accounts. Among other things, we also compromised all admin details of Sony Pictures (including passwords) along with 75,000 "music codes" and 3.5 million "music coupons".
75,000 "music codes"
"We don't know what they do, but we stole them anyway."

lol. Sony is fucked