So the real question?

anything related to video games but not otherwise covered in another forum
sgt.smith
Xfire: sgtsmith

So the real question?

Post by sgt.smith » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:13 am

Ok, so I've been planning on reinstalling my desktop for BF3. But I have a question. So far, is it worth it? I was an avid player of 42, DC, BF2 especially, and BC2. I loved the battlefield series for the vehicles. I was an ace in a jet in BF2.

Who is planning on getting it?
Sizzler

Re: So the real question?

Post by Sizzler » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:30 am

I really don't like the gunplay, it's too easy. Whenever I kill anyone It's not satisfying because all it takes is spraying bullets in their direction, and when I die it's instant death from some guy I could never see with no chance to retaliate. There's no drama in firefights, they're over in a second, you're apparently supposed to shrug it off and respawn 5 seconds later and return to the meat grinder

In BF2142 and BF2 it took forever to take down infantry at range, and I think that was for the best - even if the gunplay wasn't as responsive as it could have been. Sprint was a lot faster, too, so you could conceivably take cover after being fired upon, which is pretty much impossible in this game

Maybe there will be some better maps on release (Even Caspian Border is pretty damn small, only 5 points) but it's kind of hard to save a game when the infantry combat is such sped-up bullshit
Hoodedsniper

Post by Hoodedsniper » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:34 am

I love it but its like a dumbed down BF2.
I agree with sizzler on the firefights and it pisses me off this is the direction people take now.
NIPPER

Post by NIPPER » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:35 am

you mean guns can actually kill people? That sounds great.

Wouldn't that make it less dumbed down than BC2 where you could survive no matter what stupid position you put yourself in?

I remember people dieing pretty easily in BF2.
Hoodedsniper

Post by Hoodedsniper » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:47 am

Never played BC2 but you die faster than in BF2, a lot harder to survive after getting shot at.
Velp

Post by Velp » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:03 am

Sizzler you make it sound like they are making the game play geared to consoles...
mbaxter wrote:David tennant makes everything better
Neelpos wrote:Because maybe if my post count is high enough everyone will love me, golly
sgt.smith
Xfire: sgtsmith

Post by sgt.smith » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:05 am

in 42, and in bf2, I could go off as a sniper, spend 5 minutes walking to a good, spot to shoot. Where you are only a spot in the horizon, as I sniped from a great distance. Is there none of that in BF3?
Sizzler

Post by Sizzler » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:30 am

Call of Duty is as much a console game as it is a PC game I think, it works on both because above all it's supposed to be accessible and easy to play. Guns kill in very few hits with hardly any recoil or spread, The maps are linear so you don't die much from behind, the killcam shows you exactly how you died, and you respawn so quick that dying is no big deal. Also POINTZ whenever you do any damn thing

That Dice thinks they can throw all this stuff in their BF game to make a "CoD Killer", is ridiculous to me. If they really wanted to make an amazing BF game they would have brought back BF2's best features, like the broken-up pace, 6-man squads with squad leaders, and Mashtuur City
NIPPER wrote: I remember people dieing pretty easily in BF2.
It wasn't as easy to do though. Headshots in BF2 were one-hit-kill, but guns were only accurate in bursts, and only while standing still. BF3 has a much larger volume of bullets, aiming for the head or center mass is optional as long as you get the first shot off
Axis Denied

Post by Axis Denied » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:41 am

I'm not going to pre-order it. Whether I get it or not depends how I feel about the game when it gets released.

I've been very much enjoying the beta though.
Fenrir

Post by Fenrir » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:41 pm

The damage is glitched in the beta according to dice, I think you can get one shot when you are moving and it's not suppose to happen.
J0E

Post by J0E » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:21 pm

Lets all just play Project Reality mod for BF2 and forget about bf3 :)

"Developing in the dark is scary and probably wrong." - Notch

People not to trust: go fuck yourself you pretentious fuck
Sizzler

Post by Sizzler » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:35 pm

Fenrir wrote:The damage is glitched in the beta according to dice, I think you can get one shot when you are moving and it's not suppose to happen.
This really isn't the issue. Most of the time when you appear to instantly die it's because somebody hit you 5 times in the space of less than a second which isn't hard, or uncommon. The UMP is the best example of this, it kills in 3 shots at close range so when you die your health will drop from 100 to 0 instantly
Pentagram.J2

Post by Pentagram.J2 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:00 am

NIPPER wrote:Wouldn't that make it less dumbed down than BC2 where you could survive no matter what stupid position you put yourself in?
this

in BC2 I routinely can go recon, run up to a tank, plant the c4 on it, run away, and detonate while living through it

I tried similar tactics in BF3

i never succeeded
"The flow if time is always cruel. Its speed seems different for each person, but no one can change it..."

"The wind......it is blowing...."
Magnus

Post by Magnus » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:42 am

The damage is closer to what I would like in FPS. I found BC2 to be retarded when I shot someone with an AK in the face and they kept walking. There ARE some weapons that are retarded, the ump, they can hit out way too far. However, I feel the damage is just fine. I should be able to mow down 5 people at long range with the M249, its honestly their fault if they decide to move out in the open.

Playing this game takes a little bit more calculation and tact than running forward endlessly.
"What isn't remembered never happened. Memory is merely a record. You just need to re-write that record."
"Ummm, if I die... It's gonna be your fault" -Mr.Blip
"J2 I am disappoint."
Gr¦m wrote:dang mangus, is that like 15 inches?
Axis Denied

Post by Axis Denied » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:31 pm

Just a heads up for anyone pre-ordering, Amazon is having a deal now at 30% off (US only, though, I believe).