Gaddafi dead; libya free

Some gaming news gets moved from here to the forum above
OddaJosh
I'm Tripping Out

Gaddafi dead; libya free

Post by OddaJosh » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:59 pm

Tripoli, Libya (CNN) -- Euphoric Libyans cheered the death of Moammar Gadhafi after the ousted dictator was killed by revolutionary forces who overran his hometown of Sirte on Thursday.

After weeks of fighting, troops from the country's transitional government attacked a house in Sirte where the deposed leader was hiding and shot him while he tried to flee, Information Minister Mahmoud Shammam told CNN. The streets of Tripoli echoed with celebratory gunfire, car horns and cheers as crowds ran or danced through the streets.'[/list]
http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/20/world/africa/libya-war/

It's great to see another Middle Eastern country standing up for their rights, follwing others such as Tunisa and Egypt. After years of fighting and terror, Gaddafi is finally dead.

Basically, Gaddafi tried to flee in a convoy hit by an American drone and was being fired upon by Nato jets. He attempted to flew in the sewers and was found in a hole shouting, "Don't shoot!" and he was executed by rebels in front a mob. After 42 years of him ruling with an iron fist, Libya is finally free. Libya's new prime minister, Mahmoud Jibril, plans to set up a, " a new Libya, with a new economy, with a new education and with a new health system -- with one future." - a Libyan democracy.

Photos of a dead Gaddafi (NSFW)
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... cuted.html
Obama's Speech on the matter:
Grndslmhttr3 wrote:I don't know how you did it but I think you managed to become the worst poster on these forums
Platty wrote:But, yeah, have a fedora, too.
KoD
KoD [@at] joe . to
<b>KoD</b> <i>[@at]</i> <u>joe</u> . to

Re: Gaddafi dead; libya free

Post by KoD » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:02 pm

He's dead, Jim.
A Ninja
Professional Fun Killer
<i>Professional Fun Killer</i>

Post by A Ninja » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:58 pm

OddaJosh wrote:
Tripoli, Libya (CNN) -- Euphoric Libyans cheered the death of Moammar Gadhafi after the ousted dictator was killed by revolutionary forces who overran his hometown of Sirte on Thursday.

After weeks of fighting, troops from the country's transitional government attacked a house in Sirte where the deposed leader was hiding and shot him while he tried to flee, Information Minister Mahmoud Shammam told CNN. The streets of Tripoli echoed with celebratory gunfire, car horns and cheers as crowds ran or danced through the streets.'[/list]
http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/20/world/africa/libya-war/

It's great to see another Middle Eastern country standing up for their rights, follwing others such as Tunisa and Egypt. After years of fighting and terror, Gaddafi is finally dead.

Basically, Gaddafi tried to flee in a convoy hit by an American drone and was being fired upon by Nato jets. He attempted to flew in the sewers and was found in a hole shouting, "Don't shoot!" and he was executed by rebels in front a mob. After 42 years of him ruling with an iron fist, Libya is finally free. Libya's new prime minister, Mahmoud Jibril, plans to set up a, " a new Libya, with a new economy, with a new education and with a new health system -- with one future." - a Libyan democracy.

Photos of a dead Gaddafi (NSFW)
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... cuted.html
Obama's Speech on the matter:

flew

Still, good to hear that he's finally out of the way, but it's disgusting how he was treated at the end.
Neelpos wrote:but he's A Ninja, he's one of the best fucking snipers on the server, if your evidence doesn't line up prepare to be ridiculed by your inability to differentiate hackers from really fucking good players.
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:17 am

it's ungoverned which isn't exactly the same as free.

we will have to wait 6-12 months to see if they end up any better off or if they just get another dictator
"To perceive is to suffer" - Aristotle
mbaxter appreciates the beef
A Ninja
Professional Fun Killer

Post by A Ninja » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:58 am

At this point I don't think they will be getting another dictator, the NTC government and NATO won't let that happen.
Neelpos wrote:but he's A Ninja, he's one of the best fucking snipers on the server, if your evidence doesn't line up prepare to be ridiculed by your inability to differentiate hackers from really fucking good players.
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:14 am

i'm more cynical than you are - i think new governments tend to be despotic, and a nice free democracy is the exception. look at the past 100 years - how many new democracies have been formed? almost none. but dozens of dictators have come and gone.

hope i'm wrong though, would be nice to have a little good news in the world for once
A Ninja
Professional Fun Killer

Post by A Ninja » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:16 am

You also have to look at how much involvement NATO and the rest of the world have had in the toppling of the old regime and the building of the new government though.
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:18 pm

i don't think we have more than a dozen people on the ground and even with tens of thousands of people in afghanistan we can't establish democracy there. i don't think it's up to anyone but the millions of libyans
mbaxter
Now With Added Calcium!
<b>Now With <font color=#00689c>Added Calcium!</font></b>

Post by mbaxter » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:42 pm

joe wrote:i don't think we have more than a dozen people on the ground and even with tens of thousands of people in afghanistan we can't establish democracy there. i don't think it's up to anyone but the millions of libyans the guy with the most guns
Fixed it for you.

Also

Haymakers9th

Post by Haymakers9th » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:35 pm

well we weren't in Afghanistan to really promote democracy, just install people who will give us what we want and keep our troops there fighting a guerilla faction to allow us to purchase more arms and support the weapons industry.

But don't worry about Libya, they don't have the oil we want or- oh...oh.
Steam
GW2: Haymaker.8924 (Tinthundered, Encoelia)
stickbeast wrote: However many dicks she can manage to fit in her mouth in a year really isn't any of your business and you shouldn't judge her for it.
ToteBag

Post by ToteBag » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:53 pm

Actually Libya has the oil the Europeans want...hence why the French were so eager...
War is Peace
Freedom is Slavery
Ignorance is Strength
Who controls the past, controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.
Thoughtcrime does not entail death: thoughtcrime is death.

lɐɔıʇsıʇɐʇs ʇou sı ʎʇıuɐs___
Haymakers9th

Post by Haymakers9th » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:59 pm

joking aside, this is still a good step for Libya (disclaimer: I, like many americans, did not know much nor did I give much of a shit about Libya before the thing with the guns and killing). you can be pedantic all you want and say "THEY'RE A LONG WAY FROM FREE!" but Libyans had it shitty under this guy. And oil or not, Gaddafi was using his MILITARY against civilian protesters, like planes and bombs and shit. This is one of the few military actions I've been happy we've gone into, these were people in pretty much traditional warfare with a clear goal at the end, and the "good guy" civilians were getting their asses kicked by the actual military. It's a good thing we swept in and kicked ass. I hope everything goes well for them.
Steam
GW2: Haymaker.8924 (Tinthundered, Encoelia)
stickbeast wrote: However many dicks she can manage to fit in her mouth in a year really isn't any of your business and you shouldn't judge her for it.
mushubeans

Post by mushubeans » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:56 pm

On the topic of his actual death, it's pretty fucked up what they did to him. I don't feel sorry but I'm sure it was in someway breaking the Geneva Conventions rules on torture
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong...
Django
Bow down to your King!
<font color=black><i>Bow down to your King!</i></font>

Post by Django » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:49 am

Even Mussolini, who's body was desecrated, had the decency of being shot by a firing squad

Believe it or not, Gadaffi was once seen as a ICON by the leftist rebellious youth of the 60's and 70's
because he was one of the main promoters of the Non-Aligned Movement, to which i love (not so much now).
He was also, one of the first guys to acknowledge that pan-arabism for north Africa is stupid as fuck ,and decided to promote
pan-africanism instead (gotta give him creds for that).

Too bad, he fucked all that up in the years leading to the civil disorder in his country ,and on top of that other shit that he did
in the past that came to light.

I find it funny that he got killed in camera, at gun point while captured just like that video game CALL OF DUTY: MODERN WARFARE
"Dream, Django, but dream with your eyes open."
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:10 am

if anyone deserved to get slapped around and shot, it would be kaddafi