About LoL

multiplayer online battle arena (DotA, LoL, HoN, DotA2, etc.)
Dustrix
Caution: Someone is bickering

Re: About LoL

Post by Dustrix » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:09 pm

Is Dota 2 similar? Also how much is it?
Hoodedsniper

Post by Hoodedsniper » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:18 pm

Dustrix wrote:Is Dota 2 similar? Also how much is it?
Oh you, asking if its similar.

Dota is what spawned LoL

Dota is a much higher skillcap and much more unforgiving than LoL, Better heros imo, abilitys Hit harder, less HP, no ability power or runes or level shit.

Just look at videos, too much to explain.

Dota was basically the start of Mobo, besides the starcraft mod Aeons of Strife, Dota is what made Mobo mainstream.

Basically, LoL is what came from Dota.

Dota 2 is also being made by Valve, you know the people who made HL, HL2, TF2, Portal, ETC

Search for Dota 2 videos, theres tons and go to Dota2.com

nightmare 101
thread killer, post spawner

Post by nightmare 101 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:38 am

Hoodedsniper wrote:
Dustrix wrote:Is Dota 2 similar? Also how much is it?
Oh you, asking if its similar.

Dota is what spawned LoL

Dota is a much higher skillcap and much more unforgiving than LoL, Better heros imo, abilitys Hit harder, less HP, no ability power or runes or level shit.

Just look at videos, too much to explain.

Dota was basically the start of Mobo, besides the starcraft mod Aeons of Strife, Dota is what made Mobo mainstream.

Basically, LoL is what came from Dota.

Dota 2 is also being made by Valve, you know the people who made HL, HL2, TF2, Portal, ETC

Search for Dota 2 videos, theres tons and go to Dota2.com

Holy hype of hob goblins that is some serious fan boying.

While what you say could be true, I think LoL is truly innovative in it's take on the MOBA genre. The whole "Runes/level/masteries" shit is IMO what makes LoL, LoL. Without that system, it would just be another crappy DoTA rip off. It opens up a whole realm of character expansion which i have yet to be seen offered in another MOBA. I can understand why someone may not like this take on the game, given the variability of all things, but otherwise, character development in-game is pretty much played out from when the heroes are selected.

As far as champions and IP goes, I would say try out the basic different champion types, learn your ways around the different variability of moves, and get acquainted with what masteries, summoner spells and runes can do for a character. Spend your IP on a champion you know you'll enjoy, and spend the rest on getting runes to make them the best they can be at the 3rd tier. Not taking advantage of runes in LoL is just screwing yourself over against more well thought out players.
In some other time and space, I found time for a new signature.
Hoodedsniper

Post by Hoodedsniper » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:22 am

dude i didnt even play Dota, im not a fanboy.

You cannot say that dota didnt mainstream Mobo and inspired LoL.

Pendragon also left the Dota team to work at Riot and make LoL.

Sorry that im excited for dota 2 because IT LOOKS LIKE RAINBOWS AND SHIT BEING ALL GOOD.
Gr|m

Post by Gr|m » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:41 pm

I'm not as excited about dota2 as I was before LoL started to get really well known.

Just because dota is what led to LoL does not mean that dota2 will be a better game :p. Now, dota2 probably has a lot more financial support than LoL does becuase dota2 is a Valve game. So, there are probably going to be some features in dota2 that I would die to have in LoL. (Such has having people or bots replace a DC'd character) But as of now, I really do enjoy LoL. Like nightmare was saying, the rune pages add another dimension to developing a champion. The one thing that is annoying about the rune pages is that you can't just have whatever runes you want unless you purchase them from collecting IP over time- which gives a slight advantage to those who spend money to get them right away. I like that dota doesn't have rune pages or masteries because it keeps me from being able to blame external assistance on why someone may be owning. Although, I haven't spent any money on LoL and have 400 something wins, 3 full rune pages, and a good assortment of champions... at this point, the fact that people can buy stuff doesn't really affect me nearly as much as it did when I was leveling up and lacking champs.
nightmare 101

Post by nightmare 101 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:47 pm

The one thing that is annoying about the rune pages is that you can't just have whatever runes you want unless you purchase them from collecting IP over time- which gives a slight advantage to those who spend money to get them right away.

The only thing you can buy with money in relation to runes is extra pages and IP boosts - you must play games to get runes.
In some other time and space, I found time for a new signature.
BIGGIE

Post by BIGGIE » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:59 pm

heroes of newerth!
skinthinner wrote:wtf...you know that canada has one woman and a bunch of mooses...or miices...or whatever you call them...
the one woman has a full beard and no teeth and lives in an igloo...
so I must conclude that you, good sir, are lying and are really sitting around drinking beer with a moose and playing with your small canadian penis...
Lad Stankfoot
Martyn J. Bootyspoon
Martyn J. Bootyspoon

Post by Lad Stankfoot » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:08 pm

BIGGIE wrote:heroes of newerth!
:frog6: :frog6: :frog6: :frog6: :frog6:
fan0721pke wrote:Make sure all open sores on penis have thoroughly dried and wholesale touch screen laptops scabbed over before use.When taking four cocks in the ass, make sure to have an equal amount of cock in your mouth to reduce the risk of CHI imbalance.
Dustrix
Caution: Someone is bickering

Post by Dustrix » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:53 pm

How do I use my free champs?
Gr|m

Post by Gr|m » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:12 pm

nightmare 101 wrote:
The one thing that is annoying about the rune pages is that you can't just have whatever runes you want unless you purchase them from collecting IP over time- which gives a slight advantage to those who spend money to get them right away.

The only thing you can buy with money in relation to runes is extra pages and IP boosts - you must play games to get runes.
Yeah but it's all connected. If I either spend my IP on Runes or Champs.. and I can only purchase with $$ IP boosts, extra pages, or champs. Then obviously I'll just buy champs & ip boosts and spend ALL my rp on runes. Runes are way cheaper than most champs.... so, essentially, by NOT spending any IP on champs, you're spending RP for runes. You pickin up what I'm layin down? eh?

@dustrix, if you can use a character when you start a game, it's a free one. :)
Rat-morningstar
sexy Belgian god
<b><u>sexy Belgian god</u></b>

Post by Rat-morningstar » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:43 pm

A: RP and IP aren't the same, you're mixing them up which makes your post very hard to read Gr¦m

B: you can't get the right away. you can get them faster, but even then it still takes a while.

C: honestly, 2-3 games get you you your full tier 1 runepage, and theydo about 50-60% of tier 3 runes

the only runes that cost a lot are tier 3 quints
Me_EB

Post by Me_EB » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:15 pm

Here is the simple of it.

LoLs heros are simple, and as such individual player skill caps out alot lower than in dota.

Since individual skill isn't the primary factor, most games between decent lol teams come down to how they play as a team.

That aside, LoL's real success is in their matchmaking. It is incredible, it makes everyone think they are good at the game. The problem with dota is that you end up in games with people who are way better than you when you first start.

LoL does that everybody gets a medal thing that the current generation of kids grew up with. Most people who play the game are horrible, but matchmaking makes them think and believe that they are good. And that is the genius of lol, people play and play, because if new players(not like 0 games played, but less than 500) got thrown into the real version of the game only a select few would stick around. But most players get to play in this pseudo-lol game where everybody has no idea.

Its like CoD vs Counter Strike really. CoD is incredibly popular, and its a game that everybody wins. Counter Strike its a clusterfuck, you could play for years and still get destroyed.
Gr|m

Post by Gr|m » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:21 pm

@rat My point was that if you spend RP, you're still getting your runes quicker. (This is because you no longer need to spend your IP on Champions and can focus it entirely on runes)

also, notice my original point that got us here. "I realize it's only a slight advantage" and "at this point, the fact that people can buy stuff doesn't really affect me nearly as much as it did when I was leveling up and lacking champs."

ya feel me?