Official Dota 2 beta thread - shit just got real

multiplayer online battle arena (DotA, LoL, HoN, DotA2, etc.)
MindFlayer

Re: Official Dota 2 beta thread - shit just got real

Post by MindFlayer » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:13 am

Ew, they actually put that shit in the recommended items? Valve are so bad. Not all of the recommended items are terrible but some are like really really bad. Like Vengeful Spirit's items are all carry items except for Mek (which isn't even that good on her either).
Adam

Post by Adam » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:30 pm

Queen of Pain is really fun.
Base

Post by Base » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:03 pm

I just got this today. I suck, someone needs to show me the ropes and help me choose a character. I prefer tanks more than anything so pairing up with a good ganker or carry would help me a lot, probably. Also, is there any way to lock the camera on my character so it follows him? It's really annoying to have to move the camera separately all the time.
Yatta! wrote: *Probability of not fucking up the engine is correlated to the chance of M&Ms being in an M&M cookie, which are really fucking delicious, mind you.
http://gamepsyche.wordpress.com/ <--My blog.

NEVER GIVE UP, NEVER SURRENDER
Lad Stankfoot
Martyn J. Bootyspoon
Martyn J. Bootyspoon

Post by Lad Stankfoot » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:30 pm

Base wrote:I just got this today. I suck, someone needs to show me the ropes and help me choose a character. I prefer tanks more than anything so pairing up with a good ganker or carry would help me a lot, probably. Also, is there any way to lock the camera on my character so it follows him? It's really annoying to have to move the camera separately all the time.
In LoL, it was bound to Y I think and I'm assuming the keyboard binds in Dota 2 are about the same. Try that.

Also I did the survey for beta access yesterday.
fan0721pke wrote:Make sure all open sores on penis have thoroughly dried and wholesale touch screen laptops scabbed over before use.When taking four cocks in the ass, make sure to have an equal amount of cock in your mouth to reduce the risk of CHI imbalance.
OddaJosh
I'm Tripping Out

Post by OddaJosh » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:29 pm

Base wrote:I just got this today. I suck, someone needs to show me the ropes and help me choose a character. I prefer tanks more than anything so pairing up with a good ganker or carry would help me a lot, probably. Also, is there any way to lock the camera on my character so it follows him? It's really annoying to have to move the camera separately all the time.

Can't lock the camera in dota, unless there is a way I don't know of (I know y doesn't work as Lad suggested).

Fun tip: Double tap space to center it in on your champion though. Good for if you ever get "lost" and can't find where you went. Heh.
Grndslmhttr3 wrote:I don't know how you did it but I think you managed to become the worst poster on these forums
Platty wrote:But, yeah, have a fedora, too.
MindFlayer

Post by MindFlayer » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:05 pm

There's not really "tanks" in Dota, I mean sure you can pick a Strength hero and bulk up but who's going to attack you? Typically in teamfights, people who aren't retarded are going to attack the heroes with the least amount of HP who do the most amount of damage. If you're a "tank", i.e. have a lot of health and don't deal a lot of damage then no one is going attack you. They'll just wipe your team and then bring you down 5v1.

Obviously there are some exceptions to this rule. Axe is a hero that can force the enemy team to attack you for 3 seconds, but he's not going to be able to cast Berserker's Call very effectively without a blink dagger. Tidehunter is another strength hero with built in damage block from Kraken Shell, but he is anything but a tank really. Early game he's a strong ganker/roamer with Gush slowing and removing armor, and once he hits level 6 his ultimate is a really good teamfight ability. But no one is going to attack you in fights after you've already popped your ultimate unless they're borderline retarded.

One of the only heroes who I really consider to be a tank is Spectre who is actually an Agility carry. Spectre's dispersion ability reflects damage that she takes in a 1000 radius AOE around her. But if you're not farmed up and don't do tons of damage, no one is going to attack you. That's why you pick up a Radiance, so you can burn in an AOE around you and sort of force enemies to attack you (if they don't kill you they'll take Radiance burn, if they do attack you they'll take Dispersion damage). Other heroes that are good candidates for a Radiance can also "tank" to some extent such as Alchemist and Doombringer, but these heroes along with Spectre require an ungodly amount of farm so I would suggest that new players stay away from them.

Also you should never ever want to have the camera locked on your hero at any time, you need to be aware of what's happening around your hero.

As for heroes that you should actually play when you first start out, some good choices are: Lich, Tidehunter, Venomancer, Sven, Lion, Crystal Maiden, Dazzle. Your skill progression and item choices are very important, especially early game so make sure you read up on some guides for these heroes on www.playdota.com
Lad Stankfoot
Martyn J. Bootyspoon
Martyn J. Bootyspoon

Post by Lad Stankfoot » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:59 pm

http://www.killsteal-legends.net/dota-2 ... onfig.html
fan0721pke wrote:Make sure all open sores on penis have thoroughly dried and wholesale touch screen laptops scabbed over before use.When taking four cocks in the ass, make sure to have an equal amount of cock in your mouth to reduce the risk of CHI imbalance.
NightFantom
fuck you i'm a dragon
<font color=#800000>fuck you i'm a dragon</font>

Post by NightFantom » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:59 am

in LOL i used to play tank (rammus OP on tt, galio top awesome on sr) but that was mainly because i sucked at everything else, especially after i read basically every guide about rammus and general tanking, played them 24/7 and jut the mindset was entirely wrong, after tanking for so long it's hard to readjust to being a phys/magic carry (especially since rammus gets ad from armor => easy last hits, and galio's q is godly; while carries typically start with a lot less ad and need perfect timing to last hit before any minion does)

then in dota i tried some damage dealers like drow archer (she's like ashe but with (a lot) free ad instead of a stun ulti) and fuck tanking, i carry now
it's still a totally different mindset, but the fact that dota is visually so different from lol enables me to cut loose from my lol (tank) mindset and go with the flow of whatever needs to be done in dota

i'm not claiming to be good, but at my elo i'm certainly not bad at all

tl;dr: try out other champs than tanks in dota, you'll have fun i promise
that seems like a huge amount of work for no good reason - joe
or, you know, sarcasm - Neelpos
MindFlayer

Post by MindFlayer » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:12 pm

Sorry I should also add that certain Intelligence carries are also played as tanks such as Kroebulus (Death Prophet) and Necrolyte. These heroes want to tank up to be able to cast as many spells as possible during a teamfight. Items like Mekanism, Pipe, Bloodstone, Shiva's Guard and even Vanguard and Heart of Tarrasque can help you to do this. But again these heroes require an ungodly amount of farm since they're intelligence heroes who are inherently squishy and need to beef up big time. So basically tank is synonymous with carry in this game, unless you're talking about Axe who can force enemy heroes to attack him for 3 seconds. But really Axe is more of an initiator since he blinks in and casts Berserker's Call to disable the enemy heroes and setup a team fight for your team. Really tank is a secondary role in the game as opposed to the primary roles like carry, support, ganker, initiator. If you're at the picking screen and you think, "This team could really use a tank!" or "pick tank plz" then you're doing it wrong. Extremely wrong.
MrBlip
It was inevitable.

Post by MrBlip » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:52 pm

Apparently a whole bunch of invites got sent out (maybe it's available to everyone now?). Check your e-mail/library (I got one).

Edit: a bunch of people who had the game on their wishlist got invited (supposedly).
9:18 PM - mrblip: im allowed to have my own opinions
9:19 PM - Dr. Doctorpus: no youre not
Gr|m

Post by Gr|m » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:33 am

I didn't have it on my wishlist and got it. Doubt I'll be playing it much, I may try it tho
Dr Lecter

Post by Dr Lecter » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:49 am

should have given it to me, I'm unemployed and have plenty of free time. YOU BEACH
Because, since you don't know me, there is a great possibility that I'm on an higher intellectuel level then you are on.
Adam

Post by Adam » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:08 pm

Some amazing games today from the Infused cup.
Me_EB

Post by Me_EB » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:37 am

FUCK I WANT DOTA 2...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz................
Gr|m

Post by Gr|m » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:22 pm

Doctor Hannibal Lecter wrote:should have given it to me, I'm unemployed and have plenty of free time. YOU BEACH
i cant just "give it" like some sorta gift though!