Need help with my func_tank stuff

Like such as the NIPPER
iownju

Need help with my func_tank stuff

Post by iownju » Fri Jun 20, 2003 3:56 pm

iownju from other post wrote:i need a little help with my func_tank whatever. im makeing a little anti aircraft thing, and well, i was wondering what part shoud get what entity??? im pretty sure that the base should be left around. but i want the platform to rotate, when you moving around, and the gun its self to move up and down (if this is even possible) how would i go about doing this??
ok, i took some screens that might help you understand what im takling about.

in this picture you can see the little turrent thing, and what i want is for the gun part, its self to move up and down.

In this picture, i want the base of the turrent to move around. so you have the gun part that moves up and down, and the base that holds the gun that moves in a circle.

so something like this

im not sure if this is possible, but maybe you guys have some ideas on how to get it close. i was reading the entity stuff at collective, and saw this func_tankchange or something like that, and it looks like that might work, but im not certain :roll:
small_pox

Post by small_pox » Fri Jun 20, 2003 4:07 pm

Look what I found!

http://www.karljones.com/halflife/tank.asp

Tank tutorial.
Volmarias

Post by Volmarias » Fri Jun 20, 2003 5:30 pm

Not possible, not to my knowledge. You can't have one but not the other. I ran into this problem before.
iownju

Post by iownju » Fri Jun 20, 2003 6:11 pm

ok. thats what i thought, but how would i go about making the platform more. Or make the gun move, for different turrents??
Volmarias

Post by Volmarias » Fri Jun 20, 2003 7:39 pm

I'm pretty sure you can't have both move simultaniously while controlled by you, if that's what you're asking. I'm not entirely sure what you mean.
iownju

Post by iownju » Fri Jun 20, 2003 7:59 pm

i want to know how to both seaperatly. have one turrent where gun stays still, and base rotates, and one where base stays still and gun moves
Volmarias

Post by Volmarias » Fri Jun 20, 2003 8:32 pm

Hmm. Not exactly sure. You could make both func_tanks, but with the base do not hook up a sound, and make the point where it fires out inside the base itself, or underground, with a small ROF.

You could try placing the controls for both in the same place, and then fucking with masters and triggers so that you only use one at a time. Just remember, the tankcontrols don't rotate with the tank, so you can't turn the whole thing around and try and grabbing the controls there; You'd have to "grab" them where they are.
iownju

Post by iownju » Sat Jun 21, 2003 12:45 am

Hmm. Not exactly sure. You could make both func_tanks, but with the base do not hook up a sound, and make the point where it fires out inside the base itself, or underground, with a small ROF.
so what your saying is is that you control them seaperatly, or do you mean something else?
You could try placing the controls for both in the same place, and then firetrucking with masters and triggers so that you only use one at a time. Just remember, the tankcontrols don't rotate with the tank, so you can't turn the whole thing around and try and grabbing the controls there; You'd have to "grab" them where they are.
what do you mean by this, im confused :roll:
Volmarias

Post by Volmarias » Sat Jun 21, 2003 1:19 am

To the best of my knowledge, the best you can do is control them seperately.

The second part of what I said was an advanced posibility. Lets say that you're at a console somewhere, controlling a set of turrets. One turret fires bullets (a regular func_tank), and another turret fires rockets (a func_tankrocket). You can have it so that you can control both from the same console, but not at the same time, by using master settings to determine which tank is active and which is not.

I think. To be honest, I never tried that.
Nitrocloud

If your shoot stright

Post by Nitrocloud » Sat Jun 21, 2003 2:49 am

If you wanted... make the platform the gun, and make 0 pitch if you were to shoot striaght. A simple thing I think would be to set all the yaw and pitch vars up so that the gun never leaves the face of the turret and then place the origin brush outside of the gun. Remember "Dream on, dream on, dream until your dream comes true" --Aerosmith :!:
Volmarias

Post by Volmarias » Sat Jun 21, 2003 3:08 am

.... yes, if he could control the platform and the gun at the same time, that would be how to do it. Unfortunately, he cannot.
iownju

Post by iownju » Sat Jun 21, 2003 1:09 pm

could you have a person in the playform controling the gun, and another person using a litle switch or something next to the platform to control the playform??? like a 2 man operation :?
Nitrocloud

That'd be easy, and realistic for large AA guns

Post by Nitrocloud » Sat Jun 21, 2003 2:55 pm

Some of the larger AAA (anti-aircraft artillery) requires a man to control the gun and another to control the positioning.
Nitrocloud

Platform gun

Post by Nitrocloud » Sat Jun 21, 2003 3:06 pm

I meant that the gun and the platform be a func_tank entity tied together, but the platform would pitch then.
Volmarias

Post by Volmarias » Sat Jun 21, 2003 4:28 pm

Yes, that would be nice, but like I said like 10 posts ago, its not possible. Either the base and the turret move together exactly the same, or they have to be used seperately. If you could synchronise with someone else so that the base and the gun moved together like you wanted (in fact, it might be rather nifty to have a person on a fake func_tank which would be used as a shield at rather opportune moments), then that's great. Otherwise, no dice.