Nipper's views on decompiling maps...

Like such as the NIPPER
K41N

Nipper's views on decompiling maps...

Post by K41N » Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:42 pm

hey, kinda started this thread to ask nipper what he thinks about it, being the mapper that he is, im guessing he cares about the qualityof the maps, and not as much where credit is due, am i right?

im planning to decompile one of your maps, because i have a good idea of some improvements that could be made, so i guess im asking for permision... i've actually already decompiled it and started screwing around with it privately on a lan server, hope thats ok...

im talkin about your glass map.... i want to remove the kill_trigger on the bottom of it and add water and drivable vehicles, as well as mounted guns, can i? :P

i realise its simple to make, but its a pain in the ass to make all those beams and glass tiles...
AlphaKennyOne

Post by AlphaKennyOne » Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:54 pm

He doesn't condone decompiling any of his maps for any reason, so you're outta luck. The last person who decompiled one of his maps wihtout permission recieved tons of hate posts/e-mails/PMs on another forum. Don't let that happen to you, and STEP AWAY FROM THE DECOMPILER!
There used to be a signature here, but it's gone now.
K41N

Post by K41N » Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:07 pm

it doesnt really make sence though... to me, denial to decompile is a form of greed... people should see that many good things can arise from decompiling... like improvements to enhance gameplay... on the other hand, the only negative way in which they can e used is if the person deliberately took a map and made minor changes and didnt recognise the original mapper... thats not what i plan to do...

someone explain this to me, please.
Realism

Post by Realism » Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:10 pm

I honestly don't think he will care too much as long as you make significant changes and RECOGNIZE him for making the original map. I could be wrong, but if people did that to one of my maps and gave me credit, I wouldn't care.
K41N

Post by K41N » Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:13 pm

yeah, i really dont think people should care, especially when the non-decompiling rule cant be enforced... if i got flamed off a forum, i'd just assume another alias and come back on, while still being a decompiling btich and yet taking advantage of the mapping community at the same time :) lol.
breakerfall

Post by breakerfall » Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:14 pm

Or you could ask for permission to use the original brush-work and content. If the answer is no, you should understand and move on, get your own ideas or start your own work. Whilst the "open" attitude is good, it's always got to be with permission. If you don't get that, then tough, like I told you in that other thread.

[edit]
Don't be a cocky little fuck.
K41N

Post by K41N » Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:16 pm

but seriously, the bottom line is, i'd be only decompiling to save time, while using the basic idea of having breakable glass in a map, lol, and ill change it significantly. when i finish ill even submit it to this forum to share it with the community.
K41N

Post by K41N » Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:19 pm

hmm... my bad, i guess you posted a reply while i was double-posting... so i didnt realyl doublepost, but i am now, unl;ess someone replies again while im typing...

can you quote something that shows im cocky? and a bitch? and little? seriously, i want to know what it is, cause most people dont seem to think so... mabie the mapping community is different. but i'd like to improve, and to not be little, and a bitch, in your eyes... cause i truely care... bah, as if i give a fuck... but seriously, im curious, what did i say that offended you? besides the dont be a jew comment...

edit: lol sorry again, apparently you used the word "fuck" not bitch... my bad.
breakerfall

Post by breakerfall » Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:28 pm

Examples?
i'd just assume another alias and come back on, while still being a decompiling btich and yet taking advantage of the mapping community at the same time
but im not gonna go out of my way just cause some guy who made a weed plant will or will not "officially" allow me to use it in my own map.
If you want to be a part of a mapping community, or ANY artwork based community, this attitude will not fly. If someone gives you permission to use something that they have spent their own personal time working on, then that's great. But you can't just use somebody else work without permission. You won't fully understand until you've actually created something properly for yourself and someone uses your work without permission. Just the very fact you can't grasp that notion tells me you're a talentless, arrogant prat who's not even willing to come up with decent and original work, either because he's too lazy or <i>can't</i>.

Bottom line for you, like I said before, you won't be promoting any work in these forums that uses assets without the original authors permission.
K41N

Post by K41N » Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:36 pm

bah, like i said, i dont expect people to ask me permission to use my shit... cuase im not like that. if i make a map i keep in mind the fact that people want fun maps and innovative maps. i dont even want credit for my shit, but i still agree to give others credit when i use their shit. i think that makes me selfless, more than arrogant. pick your words correctly dude.

also, about the first thing you quoted, apparently you've yet to understand the difference between a humorous and a serious comment. this is one of the times when your ability to do so will be put to a test :) can you do it?? i hope you can, cause apparently your poor sence of humour will be the determening factor when it comes to my membership to such a mapping community.
Funny Hat Man

Post by Funny Hat Man » Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:38 pm

No
Funny Hat Man wrote:I awoke to an amazing blowjob only to find it was a dude... and let him finish
K41N

Post by K41N » Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:45 pm

no what?
Funny Hat Man

Post by Funny Hat Man » Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:47 pm

No is what Nipper's response will be.
Funny Hat Man wrote:I awoke to an amazing blowjob only to find it was a dude... and let him finish
sys

Post by sys » Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:49 pm

you can look through any number of threads where people ask him the exact same thing, and he's always said no
"If you're not confused, you're not paying attention"
K41N

Post by K41N » Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:50 pm

mmkay, ill do that now.