California debates sale of San Quentin prison

Appears on http://www.joe.to. Gaming news or community information.
Archenemy550

California debates sale of San Quentin prison

Post by Archenemy550 » Sat May 21, 2005 8:47 pm

SAN QUENTIN, Calif. (Reuters) - Amid warm spring sunshine at San Quentin village just north of San Francisco, several women lay in bikinis along the bayshore beach. A dog fetched a ball in the sea and several kids played in sand.

A few hundred feet away from the relaxed waterfront scene, a din rose from the 5,500 prisoners locked inside California's oldest prison, San Quentin, a death row facility lined by palm trees in a spectacular setting.

Two political opponents visited the prison on Friday and called for its sale and dismantling, saying the 432-acre (175-hectare) facility was too costly and dangerous to keep operating.

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/politics_sanquentin_dc

I dont agree with this. What about you?
MOS 6581
Delinquent

Post by Delinquent » Sat May 21, 2005 9:03 pm

*shrugs* what's gunna happen to the inmates?

Hear about the new mayor of LA? I find it extremely interesting. People still care about schools.

/.Delinquent
STEAM_0:1:209083
oneinfinity

Post by oneinfinity » Sat May 21, 2005 10:22 pm

why don't you agree with it?
Only two things are infinite: the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the former.
-- Albert Einstein

The unexamined life is not worth living. -- Socrates
Delinquent

Post by Delinquent » Sat May 21, 2005 10:35 pm

I'm guessing he doesn't agree because just because something costs too much hasn't stopped our country before. And if it really "cost so much" then we would cut spendings in other locations first.

*shrugs* my guess. It's not so clean cut to me. The books are extremely hard to keep, and I can't make any cost decisions with just 1 thing in mind.

/.Delinquent
STEAM_0:1:209083
Coroner

Post by Coroner » Sat May 21, 2005 10:59 pm

What ever happened to the old Marine saying "kill'em all, let god sort'em out"

Not to sure but I think most of the inmates are on there way so If they wanna save money then lets get to it and finish the job.

Tearing down the current prison won't solve the issue. It will just move to another location.

....Coroner
Archenemy550

Post by Archenemy550 » Sun May 22, 2005 1:37 am

I'm guessing he doesn't agree because just because something costs too much hasn't stopped our country before. And if it really "cost so much" then we would cut spendings in other locations first.
yea...basicly.

also, where are they going to put all the inmates? existing jails that are already over crowded. Or build a new one that will cost less... but add up in the end to about the same amount{keeping in mind these are high security inmates,there is no "cheap" place to put em and feel safe, or BE safe}. Plus they will have to wait for the new facility to be built. why all that hassle if there is a perfectly good facility existing?
MOS 6581
bugzbunny

Post by bugzbunny » Sun May 22, 2005 1:24 pm

umm they would obviously build the other prision first... yeah was it that hard to figure out?

also, they would make enough money to pay for the new prision from selling that land to some developer.
"I suppose I should be ashamed to say that I take the elite view of the Noob. I don't go so far as to think that the only good Noobs are dead Noobs, but I believe nine out of every ten are, and I shouldn't like to inquire too closely into the case of the tenth." -BugzBunny (2010)
*note: not responsible for the stupidity of others
[Myth] Cable Guy

Post by [Myth] Cable Guy » Sun May 22, 2005 4:58 pm

the land that prison sits is worth a insane amount of money, keep in mind that prison sits in one of the most expensive to live in, and one of the richest countries in the nation, and the real issue with the cost of the prison is the age it is so old the mostly civil war eara bricking is crfumbling, i go there 2-4 times a year (for my job) and you can see the building literally failing apart.

the big issue is it's location causes them to have to pay more for the prision guards than if they built a new prison even 40-50 miles away they could pay people alot less.

the only reasons i wouldn't support tearing it down is it is an eye sore to the rich liberals that have to drive passed it every day, and the fact it is a regional historic landmark, you might as well tear down alcatraz.

lastly as for spacing california has lots of prision space, us and texas are the only two states that renting jail cells to other states.