Fallout 3

anything related to video games but not otherwise covered in another forum
Hellboy

Fallout 3

Post by Hellboy » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:20 pm

fallout.bethsoft.com/

So for the other two of you on J2 that enjoyed Fallout 1 and/or 2, you may be aware that Bethesda has picked up the license and are developing Fallout 3. For the six months, there hasn't been any news or information, but just recently they put a website up and they were advertising that they'd be putting up a teaser in about a month.

Well, time's up and the teaser is out. It can be streamed or downloaded from the site, so have at it, it's glorious.
Lobsters

Post by Lobsters » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:35 pm

OH MY GOD.

I think i just shit my pants.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tOe6DjnK7I

FALL 2008

FALL 2008

FALL 2008

I'd totally given up on Fallout 3.
WOZZA

Post by WOZZA » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:43 pm

Awesome!

Loved the first 2 only RPG games I ever really got into.
pcgamer58

Post by pcgamer58 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:07 pm

Haven't any of you ever played "Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel"?
Last.fm Recent Tracks
Lobsters

Post by Lobsters » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:17 pm

pcgamer58 wrote:Haven't any of you ever played "Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel"?
I heard it was absolutely terrible.

And...a lot of people think its the same thing as Fallout Tactics. Which is a TRUE INJUSTICE.
Hellboy

Post by Hellboy » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:45 pm

Fallout Tactics was good. Not as good as 1 or 2, but definitely a worthy sequel. I only had to look at BOS for two seconds before I knew it was gonna suck. Wasn't made by the same people at all, it was just a cash-in.
renesis

Post by renesis » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:46 pm

I have both games still. I loved them!
pcgamer58

Post by pcgamer58 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:50 pm

hmmm tactics, it sounds familiar, I think I played the demo. But BOS I actually loved it, it was very much like the first two except there was more stuff I guess. Plus there was no time limit to doing things like in the first one which really took away from the actual game for me. The second one is pretty good though from what I remember.

edit: Oh wait, Fallout Tactics is the one I'm thinking of, obviously there is a game simply called "Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel" that was on consoles and not PC. The PC version that came out 2001 was called Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel, and that's the one I was talking about.

edit(again): Oh yea, also I remember in Tactics there was an option to not play in turn-based mode, which sucked, so I always played in turn-based because it was just more fun that way :D
Last.fm Recent Tracks
Lobsters

Post by Lobsters » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:09 pm

Hellboy wrote:Fallout Tactics was good. Not as good as 1 or 2, but definitely a worthy sequel. I only had to look at BOS for two seconds before I knew it was gonna suck. Wasn't made by the same people at all, it was just a cash-in.
Totatlly agreed.

Although Tactics actually takes place between 1 and 2 and in a different region of the US...so its like....a prequel of a sequel...sorta.

The non-turn based combat was on by default, and I loved it. It suited tactics perfectly and made the whole Fallout world feel more realistic for me.
Hellboy

Post by Hellboy » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:35 pm

Lobsters wrote:
Hellboy wrote:Fallout Tactics was good. Not as good as 1 or 2, but definitely a worthy sequel. I only had to look at BOS for two seconds before I knew it was gonna suck. Wasn't made by the same people at all, it was just a cash-in.
Totatlly agreed.

Although Tactics actually takes place between 1 and 2 and in a different region of the US...so its like....a prequel of a sequel...sorta.

The non-turn based combat was on by default, and I loved it. It suited tactics perfectly and made the whole Fallout world feel more realistic for me.
Plus the Pipboy was a secret character that you could get for your team.
Lobsters

Post by Lobsters » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:55 pm

Hellboy wrote:
Lobsters wrote:
Totatlly agreed.

Plus the Pipboy was a secret character that you could get for your team.
Hell yeah, I remember that.

I also remember the river dancing power armor guys, the Titanic reference with the diamond necklace or something like that, a PETA type person freeing deathclaws only to be killed by them, and a matrix reference.I love secret encounters.
Avvatar
Veni. Legi. Docuit, inportuna.

Post by Avvatar » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:24 pm

Just saw this on filefront, looks fucking awesome.
Hellboy

Post by Hellboy » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:39 pm

Some guy on GAF got the June issue of Game Informer which has an article about a 1 hour demo of Fallout 3 they got to play. Sounds like it's shaping up great so far. It's much more faithful to the first two games than I would have thought.

GAF Guy wrote:The article is based on an hour long demo GI was given. I'll list the high points

- Game runs on an evolved version of the Oblivion engine. Third person view has been reworked since the verdict was that the Oblivion version sucked balls.

- Game starts with your birth and your mother's death in a vault hospital. This is essentially the character customization part of the game. Your father hands you up to have your DNA analyzed and you get to pick out all your character traits. Your dad takes off his mask to reveal similar traits to the ones you picked.

- You grow up in the vault and as you grow you get your first book titled "You're Special" which allows you to choose you baseline stats for each of your 7 primary aptitudes. You'll also get your first weapons and wrist computer (menu) as you get older you'll take tests to determine the initial layout of your skills and traits.

- Every aspect of character creation is based on S.P.E.C.I.A.L. system. Of your 14 skills you can tag 3 to grow at a faster rate than the rest as you level up.

- Battle system is called the Vault-tec Assisted Targeting System (V.A.T.S.). The article states. "While you'll certainly be able to tackle enemies in real time using first person shooting, V.A.T.S. lets players pause time and select a target at their leisure". Battle system still uses action points, but once you've used them up you'll still be able to fight targets in real time while they charge back up.

- Game is still violent and gory. One of the featured screens is of a guy's head exploding in super gory detail. Apparently all gory deaths in the game will be in slow motion.

- More than one way to play the game. Go balls out and kill people, or sneak past situations, or perhaps talk your way out of situations.

- Enemies can target you just like you can target them, so you can get injured in very specific points on you body. This is in addition to an all new health/radiation system. This new system has you measuring how radiated certain things (like water) are and how they affect you when you consume them.

- Karma system returns

- XP based system, most XP comes from quests

- Level cap is 20

- 9 - 12 possible endings based on your actions in the game

- No level scaling like oblivion, you walk into a high level area, you die horribly.

- There are NPC's you can hire, but this is not a party based game.
GAF Guy wrote:They have some really great environment shots, Some screens of the inside of Vault 101, and a really awesome shot of a first person encounter with a super mutant and another where the main character has a weapon called “The Fatman” which is a handheld nuclear catapult.

Think post apocalyptic oblivion and you’re right about there in terms of graphics.[…]

-It seems that outside of the VATS system everything is real time. The only time the game pauses is when you enter the VATS system and start using AP and issuing commands. The article doesn’t really say much more than that, but they do say that the game is geared more towards a role-playing turn based style as opposed to a twitch gaming style of play.

-It doesn’t say anything specifically about party members, but there’s a section that talks about how integral NPC’s are to the game, and that a lot of the progress in the game will be made via quests.

EDIT. A little caption under a screen shot says you’ll be able to hire henchmen to help you out but this is definitely not a party based
MindFlayer

Post by MindFlayer » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:36 pm

HOLY DUMB FUCK
need new computer now.
tubbins

Post by tubbins » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:41 pm

Yeah, this game definitely sounds a lot like Oblivion, especially the character customization and skills. Oh, and thank god they aren't going to include level scaling.