Some screens of my map in progress

Like such as the NIPPER
Dr.Boo

Some screens of my map in progress

Post by Dr.Boo » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:56 pm

Hey guys. I wanted to share some screenshot of a very early compile of what I have so far on my latest map. It's faaaaaar from being done and I plan to put much time and effort in this map since I would find it a real waste to make a crappy map while making all the textures took me weeks if not months.
Any suggestions, comments and criticism are welcome. Seriously. Advice and opinions from a mapping community full of veteran mappers are very important to me as long as they're not like "ZOMG maek liek 12 bombs that spl0de when u trigger stuff that shit over that stuff and maek that red thingy go boom with a pizza-shaped flying saucer thing that buzzes liek cr4zy lol when u trip it!!!11!1!1keke" which I'm sure you don't like neither.
So anywyas, here are a few screens. Yes I know I have to place cubemaps and yes it's still too dark but I'm working on that.
By the way, does the green substance in screenshot 3 look toxic enough to you? Or is it too... grass-like?

joe wrote:what's it like, being stupid? try to describe it for us please
AMMO

Re: Some screens of my map in progress

Post by AMMO » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:17 pm

Looks pretty damn toxic to me.
MrBlip
It was inevitable.

Post by MrBlip » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:36 pm

Toxically sexy, if that's what you mean.

My current masterpiece in progress:

Beginners house
Shot 1
SNES Version
My Version

Shot 2
SNES Version
My Version

Another House

The shops (may not look much like shops)
Item shop
Armor shop

The INN
Front
Back

Outside, at the gate (basically the same shot)
From the ground
From the air

I have more then just that front gate thing, just not enough detail to make a decent screenshot. I'm also aware that much of it kind of looks the same. I hope to add unique detail to each bit towards the end. For those that are curious, I'm remaking Narshe, the 'starting town' of Final Fantasy VI.
Last edited by MrBlip on Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
9:18 PM - mrblip: im allowed to have my own opinions
9:19 PM - Dr. Doctorpus: no youre not
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:38 pm

can you have a body floating in the green goo? if not a body how about a biohazard barrel? either would enhance the sense of danger
"To perceive is to suffer" - Aristotle
mbaxter appreciates the beef
Avvatar
Veni. Legi. Docuit, inportuna.

Post by Avvatar » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:05 am

Mr Blip, I love you.
Dr.Boo

Post by Dr.Boo » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:09 am

Good idea Joe. I'm gonna add some floating barrels in it. I'm happy with how the textures turn out ingame.

Concerning Blip's map: I like the idea of recreating an old school video game. Just one thing I suggest you try out: the second screen you show, you may want to use the bookshelf model that has books in it instead of the empty one... but I don't know if it will fit in as well as this one does.
Is that a CS:S map?
func_?

Post by func_? » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:54 am

there is only one BIG problem.. the usp has a muffler on!! :D

Other than that, it looks really nice, and the toxic in screen 3 looks good to me.
-War does not determine who is right, war determine who is left.
MrBlip
It was inevitable.

Post by MrBlip » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:53 am

Dr.Boo wrote:the second screen you show, you may want to use the bookshelf model that has books in it instead of the empty one... but I don't know if it will fit in as well as this one does.
Is that a CS:S map?
Yeah I was thinking that when I first started building it, but the other book cases dark wood colored book cases don't fit to well. There's also a lighter wood colored book case that fits nice and neat, and the books are great in it, but the light colored wood just doesn't fit. My idea was to add and fine-tune all the little details when I was done with the map. Right now it's really just structure details and rough inside layout.

And yes, it is going to be a CS:S map. Later I was going to convert it to Ep2 just to toy around with it some more in single player, and then make it available in gmod10.
9:18 PM - mrblip: im allowed to have my own opinions
9:19 PM - Dr. Doctorpus: no youre not
reaper4172

Post by reaper4172 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:46 pm

dont know if ive ever played any of your maps let alone heard of you but its looking pretty sweet. id play it forsure
<1.6 mapper>
reaper
The cheese

Post by The cheese » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:44 pm

That's looking very nice so far, is it set on the space colony ARK?
"You mean Pirate ships can't fly!? THANKS ALOT EBAY!
Gr|m

Post by Gr|m » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:40 am

Boo: as long as that green stuff is moving around it looks good ( some people have water/lava that sits still and it kind of ruins it imo ). I don't know if it is even possible to make a moving water texture. I think it looks well put together- lots of angles and not many sharp things which makes it look alot cleaner IMO.

blip: I love the textures you used- they blend really well together.

both of u guys have nice maps coming along. Keep up the good work :D
Dr.Boo

Post by Dr.Boo » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:39 pm

The cheese wrote:That's looking very nice so far, is it set on the space colony ARK?
Some of the ideas are indeed taken from the space colony ARK. But not everything.
I added poison barrels to the green goo by the way like joe suggested.
Commando

Post by Commando » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:11 am

Gr¦m wrote:Boo: as long as that green stuff is moving around it looks good ( some people have water/lava that sits still and it kind of ruins it imo ). I don't know if it is even possible to make a moving water texture. I think it looks well put together- lots of angles and not many sharp things which makes it look alot cleaner IMO.

blip: I love the textures you used- they blend really well together.

both of u guys have nice maps coming along. Keep up the good work :D
It IS possible to make water textures but it is not easy.
Dr.Boo

Post by Dr.Boo » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:39 am

No it's a bitch to make good water textures. My acid just scrolls and it acts like water when you fall in it, but it doesnt have those ripples and shit like real water does. I did use some ocean ripple effects with photoshop though.

And now I have another problem: after fixing a leak I didn't even see I had, the room in screenshot 1 takes a long time to compile. Portalflow took one hour to do 50% and I was just compiling that one room. I already turned a lot of stuff into illusionaries... could the acid below be the problem? I've made bigger room than that (remember the big room covering 3 floors in xmas_hotel) but those didn't nearly take so much time to compile.

What's it gonna be when I compile the whole map? Overnight compile? I mean the whole map is gonna take hours and hours to compile... is that normal for a big and quite detailed map?
Anyone else knows what could cause these terrible compile times? I eliminated all intersecting brushes too...
Avvatar
Veni. Legi. Docuit, inportuna.

Post by Avvatar » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:54 am

Compiling can take a very long time. It is not necessarily and indication of there being anything wrong. If you feel it is taking longer than it should for a given level of detail, there may be something wrong. But as you add detail, the compile begins taking longer.