.j2 tag and adminship?

Anything dealing with the game Team Fortress 2 or the servers we host for it.
Apokalupsis

.j2 tag and adminship?

Post by Apokalupsis » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:04 pm

Couple of questions...

The "j2" tag...is that for admins only? Is it for anyone who wants to identify with the joe.to community? How can I earn the right to wear the tag? I currently wear the <TWM> tag which just signifies that the player is interested in "Teamwork".

Secondly, how do I apply for adminship? I realize there's some talk about # of existing admins, n00b admins, etc... However, here are some of my "qualifications"...
  • I'm on periodically throughout the day, weekdays and weekends.
  • The joe.to custom map server is my primary and favorite TF2 server. I don't play in other servers unless I cannot get in (which is rare now that I have a reserved slot) or it's completely empty.
  • I'm on PST time (CA).
  • While it has been a while, CS/DoD server adminship isn't not foreign to me, so I wouldn't think that TF2 would be that much different.
  • I am the founder of a fairly large (2,000+ members) general gaming community and co-founder of another (both are similar to joe.to) that focused on CS and DoD servers (but we had a few other gaming servers up as well). The former community lasted for about 6 years (I just didn't have time to maintain it any more, even with a large staff) and the latter is still going strong, but I am not a part of that any longer. OH! And we had the "Chicken Mod" installed as well as several other goodies. I had no idea Joe was the author...he's sort of a celebrity! hehe
  • I understand perfectly well (and agree with) the necessity of providing the most fun to the greatest # of players. It isn't about personal preferences, it's about the players' in general preferences. Without them, no community survives. They are the "lifeblood", so it's best to keep 'em happy (but also "in check" with community expectations and rules).
  • I'm currently the founder of a large online debate community.
  • I also founded one of the more successful WoW guilds on the Malorne server (Nephilim) which had a long run, but due to lack of time, I had to let go.
  • I'm an old school (and older) gamer. Played Novalogic's Delta Force back when it was the #1 or #2 online war game to play and founded a DF community and competitive team.
  • In RL, I'm a Financial Consultant for residential and commercial lending on the West Coast, and I run my own business.
  • I'm also a web designer and web host.
  • I'm married and I'm a Dad of 2 great kids (7 and 2).
I'm not your stereotypical gamer...but I'm a hardcore gamer that's been playing computer games back before they were called video games (used to play on computer that ran on ticker tape only, then used a tape deck to load games, then came the floppies).

If you want experienced, mature and knowledgeable admins to help out (either in game or on site), I make an excellent candidate.

I can also probably be persuaded to not be so aggressive in the debate forums if that is necessary. :hearts:
Last edited by Apokalupsis on Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I've got two daughters, 9 years old and 6 years old. I am going to teach them first of all about values and morals. But if they make a mistake, I don't want them punished with a baby." - Barack Obama, on morals and the "value" of childhood.
bl4nk
BOOBIES

Re: .j2 tag and adminship?

Post by bl4nk » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:14 pm

j2 tag means you're a member of the community. Put it on if you want, but if you're an admin, it's encouraged to have it so people can identify you as a member of the community. As for applying for admin, there are going to be some changes with the servers over the next week or so and there will be an admin application thread opening soon.
Tuck

Post by Tuck » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:18 pm

if you want to wear the j2 tag then just use it like this Tuck.j2 <TWM>
yyyyyy
oldman juice
tapeworm

Post by oldman juice » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:15 pm

how does TWM go to teamwork
i am now going to play tf2 and see TWM people and wonder why they are not TMW people

and get nothing done, at all.
ARGHLES TO YOU DALKO :O!!!1111
now in Spanish, then in French, we'll say that twice again
I am you and you are falling.
Apokalupsis

Post by Apokalupsis » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:21 pm

oldman juice wrote:how does TWM go to teamwork
i am now going to play tf2 and see TWM people and wonder why they are not TMW people

and get nothing done, at all.
TWM = The Teamwork Movement. It's the largest TF2 group in existence with 102,677 members. http://www.thetwm.com/

To get more details, go to your Steam Client -> Groups.

It's the first one at the top of the list.

Players who bear that tag prefer to play as a team, filling the gaps where necessary. To them, it's more about winning the round than it is who on the team has the most points. While I often get in the top 3 at the end of a round, a lot of the time I'm near the bottom as the team lacks sufficient defenses...so I'll setup as an engie or demo, and camp cp's and intel rooms to heighten the security level whilst the rest of the team 'does their thing'.

<TWM> players prefer to operate in a more structured way, utilizing other players vs going lonewolf. They also typically play on endorsed servers vs random clan or community servers.
"I've got two daughters, 9 years old and 6 years old. I am going to teach them first of all about values and morals. But if they make a mistake, I don't want them punished with a baby." - Barack Obama, on morals and the "value" of childhood.
AMMO

Post by AMMO » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:46 pm

I think someone takes this game a little too seriously.
Hellboy

Post by Hellboy » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:17 pm

Apokkalisp takes everything too seriously.
Apokalupsis

Post by Apokalupsis » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:33 pm

AMMO wrote:I think someone takes this game a little too seriously.
Teamwork = being serious? It's not possible for some people, to have the most enjoyment by being a part of and playing as a team?
AMMO

Post by AMMO » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:02 pm

It's a video game.
Tuck

Post by Tuck » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:12 pm

The TWM is a joke. 90% of the people in it never wear the tag, and cast it off as 'just another group' like on facebook.
yyyyyy
Apokalupsis

Post by Apokalupsis » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:16 pm

AMMO wrote:It's a video game.
Well of course it is. Image
Tuck wrote:The TWM is a joke. 90% of the people in it never wear the tag, and cast it off as 'just another group' like on facebook.
How do you know? I see several members with the tag. And in the endorsed servers, it's full of them.

Regardless...so what? It's just an identifier of preference, nothing more. What's the big deal that you guys have with people wanting to wear a non-clan tag?

For people who make claims about others being too serious...you certainly are quite serious about your opposition to people having fun the way they want to (vs the way you want).
bl4nk
BOOBIES

Post by bl4nk » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:52 pm

Apokalupsis wrote:What's the big deal that you guys have with people wanting to wear a non-clan tag?
The majority of this community wears a non-clan tag. ".j2"
Mad_Dugan
Hyperbole much?

Post by Mad_Dugan » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:09 pm

vocal minority != majority :)
Sometimes the appropriate response to reality is to go insane. - Philip K. Dick
The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away. - Philip K. Dick
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan
Don't believe everything you read on the Internet - Abraham Lincoln
bl4nk
BOOBIES

Post by bl4nk » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:28 pm

Mad_Dugan wrote:vocal minority != majority :)
What does that even mean?
Mad_Dugan
Hyperbole much?

Post by Mad_Dugan » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:42 pm

bl4nk wrote:
Mad_Dugan wrote:vocal minority != majority :)
What does that even mean?
Sorry, it was not in reference to your use of the word 'majority'.

One person sharing their opinion does not mean they speak for everyone. So, don't judge a group by the loudest person. :banana:
Last edited by Mad_Dugan on Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sometimes the appropriate response to reality is to go insane. - Philip K. Dick
The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away. - Philip K. Dick
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan
Don't believe everything you read on the Internet - Abraham Lincoln