Abstract Mappack 2008

Like such as the NIPPER
Dr.Boo

Re: Abstract Mappack 2008

Post by Dr.Boo » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:18 pm

Imma play your map right now Alpha. I'll let you know what I think.

Other thing: is there a way to extract a Valve model from the gcf file, make it much smaller, and use it as a new model in my map?
Third thing: Blip can I use the sound that you can hear at CT spawn of de_elemental (tifa.wav or something like that). I ask because a few months ago I had a bizarre dream and I'd like to receate that dream in a room in my map. Strange thing is that that piece of sound kept playing in my dream and it's only after playing your map for a second time that I realised it was that sound...

okay I know nobody cares, but I wanted to say this anyways :)
joe wrote:what's it like, being stupid? try to describe it for us please
AlphaKennyOne

Post by AlphaKennyOne » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:33 pm

To extract a valve model, you should find and download the program GCFScape. You can't have Steam running when you run the 'scape, but it allows you to browse the GCF files you have, and can extract to a location of your choosing. That's how I edit the valve textures I used in this map.

As for making the model smaller... that I don't know.
There used to be a signature here, but it's gone now.
Dr.Boo

Post by Dr.Boo » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:16 pm

Thanks
I played your map. It's really good and crazy. The only thing I'd add, is the car where you run over parts, you may add a clip brush over them so that you walk over a smooth surface. I got stuck sometimes walking over the cars. You can simply jump over them but it's annoying.
Also the noob-cube room is a bit empty looking but maybe that's how you want it.

For the rest it's really fun and absurd.
AlphaKennyOne

Post by AlphaKennyOne » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:26 pm

For the cars, there are clip brushes over all of them, but i'm sure there are places where the player can still get stuck. Could I get a picture of where you got stuck, so I could patch up that area? Thanks. :D And yeah, the Noob Cube room is exactly as I intended it. :)

By the way, for some reason i'm unable to create animated textures like I used to be. It works using the Orange Box version of vtex, but not the Ep 1 version, which poses a problem for me. Boo (or anyone else who is available)... I need your assistance! Can I get your email, so I could send you all the proper stuff to help make the animated .vtf that I so desperately need?
Dr.Boo

Post by Dr.Boo » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:38 pm

AlphaKennyOne wrote:For the cars, there are clip brushes over all of them, but i'm sure there are places where the player can still get stuck. Could I get a picture of where you got stuck, so I could patch up that area? Thanks. :D And yeah, the Noob Cube room is exactly as I intended it. :)

By the way, for some reason i'm unable to create animated textures like I used to be. It works using the Orange Box version of vtex, but not the Ep 1 version, which poses a problem for me. Boo (or anyone else who is available)... I need your assistance! Can I get your email, so I could send you all the proper stuff to help make the animated .vtf that I so desperately need?
PMed you
NIPPER

Post by NIPPER » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:40 pm

I still need help with the animated textures too. I just need to know:
-what the shortcut to vtex.exe should look like
-what the .txt file that you drag into the vtex shortcut should look like
-what path everything should be in

I don't understand why all these tutorial websites can't just list that very basic info somewhere.
AlphaKennyOne

Post by AlphaKennyOne » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:04 pm

- Back when making animated textures worked for me, all I did was drag the .txt file to the vtex.exe that's in the "Program Files\Steam\steamapps\***EMAIL***\sourcesdk\bin\ep1". So I had two windows. One with the .tga and the .txt files in it, and the other with the vtex.exe in it. I never did anything special to the .exe or make a shortcut to it.

- The .txt file should be like this: Say you have 4 .tga files for the 4 frames of your animated texture. The TGAs are saved like so: image000, image001, image002, image003. So, all that needs to be in the .txt is:

startframe "0"
endframe "3"

And the .txt must be named the same as the above TGA images, only without the three numbers at the end.

- The path should be as follows: you'll have the main materials folder in your cstrike/materials directory. That will have a specific name, in my case: absurdtextures. Then, i'll need another "absurdtextures" folder in the

Program Files\Steam\steamapps\***EMAIL***\sourcesdk_content\cstrike\materialsrc

directory, which is where your TGA images and the .txt must be stored before dragging it to the vtex.exe.

That should be it. I have no idea why it's not working for me. I have a suspicion that it has something to do with the recent split of engine-specific tools in the seperate folders. It used to work just fine before then.
NIPPER

Post by NIPPER » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:36 pm

it's telling me it can't open the tga now :(
AlphaKennyOne

Post by AlphaKennyOne » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:14 pm

Damn, that's the same error i'm getting. Try doing it using the Orange Box vtex.exe. I'll bet that it works, but the .vtf it creates is incompatible with the Ep 1 engine. :(

So it seems this isn't an isolated problem. I should report that so it can get fixed.
AMMO

Post by AMMO » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:40 pm

Someone awhile back posted a link to convert new .vtf files to the old kind. That may fix your problem, but I don't know where to find it. :(
NIPPER

Post by NIPPER » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:42 pm

I just tried that ammo and it didn't fix the texture :(
AlphaKennyOne

Post by AlphaKennyOne » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:44 pm

Yeah, I tried using VTFEdit, which worked for the Portal textures I used in my map, but didn't work for my animated texture.

Well... this sucks.
NIPPER

Post by NIPPER » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:24 pm

well we won't be releasing the pack for a while so we still have time for someone (hopefully valve) to fix it.
AMMO

Post by AMMO » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:26 pm

i hope so, i wanted to use animated textures too
MrBlip
It was inevitable.

Post by MrBlip » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:40 pm

Dr.Boo wrote:Third thing: Blip can I use the sound that you can hear at CT spawn of de_elemental (tifa.wav or something like that).

Sure thing bud. Sorry for the late reply; haven't been using the computer much, I just got a new toy.

I've included the .wav, the original file that I got it from, as well as a piano version that you may be able to get something out of. Ding!
9:18 PM - mrblip: im allowed to have my own opinions
9:19 PM - Dr. Doctorpus: no youre not