First Room In my Abstract Map

Like such as the NIPPER
Optics

First Room In my Abstract Map

Post by Optics » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:51 pm

Hello , I made my first 2 rooms in this abstract map and I really wanted peoples opinions on it...

http://img41.imageshack.us/i/86109854.png/
http://img13.imageshack.us/i/12726808.png/
http://img684.imageshack.us/i/71358085.png/
http://img13.imageshack.us/i/67763691.png/

What do you think can be improved?
Please do not hesitate to comment on it

thank you :)
Last edited by Optics on Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pocatello

Re: First Room In my Abstract Map

Post by Pocatello » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:06 pm

very spooky and twisted. I like it.
-----------
TF2 name: Durka Durka Durka
-----------
Avvatar wrote:I know who you're talking about, Adam. But also cannot remember his name for the life of me. I want to say Pocatello but I'm nearly positive that's me misspelling the name of some other admin with poor grammar.
Parasyte wrote:I'm satisfying myself right now just thinking about Avanti.
Optics

Post by Optics » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:13 pm

Pocatello wrote:very spooky and twisted. I like it.
Oh thanks!
Gr|m

Post by Gr|m » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:32 pm

hmm... really can't think of anything else that could go in there other than maybe a lil more shrubbery and another light? idk, looks pretty good
Neelpos
Error 404: Title not found

Post by Neelpos » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:34 pm

I was thinking maybe put a few rocks in there
kingscrub wrote:HEY NEELPOS WHY DONT YOU SHOVE THAT RETARDED SMILEYFACE AVATAR UP YOUR ASS.
Optics

Post by Optics » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:38 pm

Gr¦m wrote:hmm... really can't think of anything else that could go in there other than maybe a lil more shrubbery and another light? idk, looks pretty good
okay thanks for the advice , I will add a few more cactuses in some places and play around with the lighting a bit.
Optics

Post by Optics » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:39 pm

neelpos wrote:I was thinking maybe put a few rocks in there
Ahh yes! that's what it's missing , thanks for pointing that out
AMMO

Post by AMMO » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:27 pm

Try mixing up the colours a bit or use some crazy textures.
Optics

Post by Optics » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:42 pm

AMMO wrote:Try mixing up the colours a bit or use some crazy textures.
oh okay , I have continued the room and made another room also I have replaced the links above with new ones so you can see what ive else iv'e done.

what sort of crazy stuff shall I add to this room? I have a nice orange and black blend with white and black texture but I think I should save it for another room.
Gr|m

Post by Gr|m » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:50 pm

you could maybe at this type of look Image to the floor tiles

or add some sort of glow coming from down there that would entice people to look down/fall

and I know this is really out there, but I think it'd be neat to see if you could make comets flying across the night sky in the desert room.. or in a different room. I'm not really sure if that's possible or not, but it COULD be a neat little detail.

edit: oh and I just thought, you could have a starry sky moving fast which could be trippy? I don't really think all of those ideas would go exactly well together.. it's all up to you though- your map!!
Optics

Post by Optics » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:00 pm

wow I really like that idea! , so In a room I will make the floor black and make individual white tiles and some scattered off , which part is the part you fall down , the black? so you have to hope along the white squares to get across the room?
I have a nice texture that has a sort of white to black gradient white bieng about an 8th of the texture , I could use that texture to make it look like a glow.

heres what I made of that room so far...
http://img43.imageshack.us/i/hl22010010101255689.png/
http://img683.imageshack.us/i/hl22010010101254466.png/

Ahh , maybe if I use sprite trails they kinda look like distant meteorites, I managed to do that once by accident with a rotating object attached to the trail so it would spin across the map.
I could make it fairly slow and have about 8 of them , so one goes then the other maybe some at a time , I will play around , sounds like a neat idea.

I could make a texture that toggles, yeah maybe have a crack in a wall in a room with that texture showing , would seem like the rooms moving? Niiice.

thanks man , I will update the links again every few hours for you to see.
Dr.Boo

Post by Dr.Boo » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:04 am

Make it a little more colorful, but there is a LOT of potential in there. The displacements are nice, and the room has nice paintings. The importanty thing is to make a map crazy, but still detailed. Ideally you mix up detailed, realistic stuff with abstract shit.
I'm making a more or less realistic map for L4D2. I plan to make that the first introductionary map and make the rest abstract. Like if you were entering a dream.
joe wrote:what's it like, being stupid? try to describe it for us please
Optics

Post by Optics » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:30 am

Dr.Boo wrote:Make it a little more colorful, but there is a LOT of potential in there. The displacements are nice, and the room has nice paintings. The importanty thing is to make a map crazy, but still detailed. Ideally you mix up detailed, realistic stuff with abstract shit.
I'm making a more or less realistic map for L4D2. I plan to make that the first introductionary map and make the rest abstract. Like if you were entering a dream.
ok so how else do I make the main room crazy? I do not want to over do it you see. the gallery room has sort of abstract illusion paintings aswell as some crazy stuff on the gloor , it's a small room I do'nt know what else I could add to it really.
Base

Post by Base » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:37 am

This is some really cool stuff. Makes me want to learn mapping and do some of this stuff for tf2.
Dr.Boo wrote:Make it a little more colorful, but there is a LOT of potential in there. The displacements are nice, and the room has nice paintings. The importanty thing is to make a map crazy, but still detailed. Ideally you mix up detailed, realistic stuff with abstract shit.
That sounds awesome. Put it up on our L4D2 servers as soon as it's done man.
Yatta! wrote: *Probability of not fucking up the engine is correlated to the chance of M&Ms being in an M&M cookie, which are really fucking delicious, mind you.
http://gamepsyche.wordpress.com/ <--My blog.

NEVER GIVE UP, NEVER SURRENDER
Optics

Post by Optics » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:48 am

This is some really cool stuff. Makes me want to learn mapping and do some of this stuff for tf2.
Thanks man , Yeah mapping is great fun , but takes a lot of time