Portal 2 Release date and new puzzles!

Portal, Left 4 Dead, Half Life. All those good games.
Rat-morningstar
sexy Belgian god
<b><u>sexy Belgian god</u></b>

Re: Portal 2 Release date and new puzzles!

Post by Rat-morningstar » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:42 pm

you do realise portal has nothing to do with halflife, besides being on the same planet, right?
Neelpos
Error 404: Title not found

Post by Neelpos » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:56 pm

And the fact that Aperture competed directly with Black Mesa, and one of their experiments (The Borealis) is the entire focus of the final installment of the HL2 story arc.
I don't expect to see too much half life stuff in Portal 2, but there's most likely gonna be shit tons of Portal stuff in Episode 3.
kingscrub wrote:HEY NEELPOS WHY DONT YOU SHOVE THAT RETARDED SMILEYFACE AVATAR UP YOUR ASS.
mbaxter
Now With Added Calcium!
<b>Now With <font color=#00689c>Added Calcium!</font></b>

Post by mbaxter » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:38 pm

I expect nothing directly related to the half life plot in Portal2, but I do expect a few references, possibly some we won't notice until the next half life installment, since this supposedly takes place far in the future.
Gr|m

Post by Gr|m » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:17 pm

mbaxter wrote:I expect nothing directly related to the half life plot in Portal2, but I do expect a few references, possibly some we won't notice until the next half life installment, since this supposedly takes place far in the future.
Yeah but couldn't Portal 1 potentially be aligned with HL1's timeline? We know they are competitors but Portal 2 could end up being during HL2 and essentially put them at the same time? IDK enough about the half life and portal lore though..
Neelpos
Error 404: Title not found

Post by Neelpos » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:27 pm

Gr¦m wrote:
mbaxter wrote:I expect nothing directly related to the half life plot in Portal2, but I do expect a few references, possibly some we won't notice until the next half life installment, since this supposedly takes place far in the future.
Yeah but couldn't Portal 1 potentially be aligned with HL1's timeline? We know they are competitors but Portal 2 could end up being during HL2 and essentially put them at the same time? IDK enough about the half life and portal lore though..
Valve has stated that Portal 2 takes place 100 years in the futures, this is why the facility is so decayed and overgrown. There's no way it coincides with HL2.
Which also brings up the point of us not really knowing WHEN Portal takes place, we know it's around the time Black Mesa was up and running, but was it during the initial Portal storms? are the Combine in control at this point? Is GLaDOS referencing the combine when talking about how the world is changed from when Chell last saw it?
Yeah, lots of possibilities, we can probably place it at some point between the resonance cascade and HL2 however, so between 200X and 202X
kingscrub wrote:HEY NEELPOS WHY DONT YOU SHOVE THAT RETARDED SMILEYFACE AVATAR UP YOUR ASS.
Django
Bow down to your King!
<font color=black><i>Bow down to your King!</i></font>

Post by Django » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:27 pm

neelpos wrote:Yeah, lots of possibilities, we can probably place it at some point between the resonance cascade and HL2 however, so between 200X and 202X
Oh, so it takes place on the same time as megaman 2. There must be a connection with that game...
"Dream, Django, but dream with your eyes open."
mbaxter
Now With Added Calcium!
<b>Now With <font color=#00689c>Added Calcium!</font></b>

Post by mbaxter » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:34 pm

Accoding to aperturescience.com notes (login cjohnson password tier3), 1996 was when the genetic lifeform parts of GLaDOS started work. "Several years later" GLaDOS is activated, untested, on bring-your-daughter-to-work day. So Portal takes place any time after, say, 1998, to account for the "several" years not being just one. Keeping in mind that time from activation (and assumed death of personel) could be long, especially if Chell was in fact a daughter (assumed younger than 15) and grew at a normal rate.
KoD
KoD [@at] joe . to
<b>KoD</b> <i>[@at]</i> <u>joe</u> . to

Post by KoD » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:44 pm

chell is obviously gordon and alyx's daughter.... also the gman had some genetic manipulation in there too, because he donated half a nutsack to gordon in 1994.
Rat-morningstar
sexy Belgian god
<b><u>sexy Belgian god</u></b>

Post by Rat-morningstar » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:52 pm

KoD wrote:chell is obviously gordon and alyx's daughter.... also the gman had some genetic manipulation in there too, because he donated half a nutsack to gordon in 1994.
no man, gordon's Gman's son

both start with a G, and it explains why Gman's so fond of him
KoD
KoD [@at] joe . to
<b>KoD</b> <i>[@at]</i> <u>joe</u> . to

Post by KoD » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:38 pm

Rat-morningstar wrote:
KoD wrote:chell is obviously gordon and alyx's daughter.... also the gman had some genetic manipulation in there too, because he donated half a nutsack to gordon in 1994.
no man, gordon's Gman's son

both start with a G, and it explains why Gman's so fond of him
yes that's true, why do you think their nutsacks are a genetic match?

also my sons name will start with a t and i'll be fond of him.
Django
Bow down to your King!
<font color=black><i>Bow down to your King!</i></font>

Post by Django » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:39 pm

Cool stories bros
"Dream, Django, but dream with your eyes open."
A Ninja
Professional Fun Killer
<i>Professional Fun Killer</i>

Post by A Ninja » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:00 pm

I thought I remember Valve saying there would be no more ties to HL2 in Portal and they were making it more into an independent game.
Neelpos wrote:but he's A Ninja, he's one of the best fucking snipers on the server, if your evidence doesn't line up prepare to be ridiculed by your inability to differentiate hackers from really fucking good players.
bl4nk
BOOBIES

Post by bl4nk » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:51 pm

Too late for that, they already tied the two together.
A Ninja
Professional Fun Killer
<i>Professional Fun Killer</i>

Post by A Ninja » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:53 pm

Yea I know, but I still remember Valve saying that there would be no more building on that in Portal 2
Neelpos wrote:but he's A Ninja, he's one of the best fucking snipers on the server, if your evidence doesn't line up prepare to be ridiculed by your inability to differentiate hackers from really fucking good players.
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:23 pm

"To perceive is to suffer" - Aristotle
mbaxter appreciates the beef