Rolling Stone cover photo Before & After

Appears on http://www.joe.to. Gaming news or community information.
Mad_Dugan
Hyperbole much?

Rolling Stone cover photo Before & After

Post by Mad_Dugan » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:54 am

Why do we live in a fake world?
Sometimes the appropriate response to reality is to go insane. - Philip K. Dick
The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away. - Philip K. Dick
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan
Don't believe everything you read on the Internet - Abraham Lincoln
stickbeast

Re: Rolling Stone cover photo Before & After

Post by stickbeast » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:02 am

Doesn't seem like they change much except brighten the colors, get rid of awkward shadows and make her boobs perkier. that thing with her hands is weird.

Whoever does these things is extremely skilled with photoshop. Airbrushing/makeup/whatever is all gravy with me, as long as you know its being done. If you know that these images aren't real, and are cherry picked to look the best by a professional photographer, then its fine. You can appreciate the beauty, like a painting or sculpture or something.

Unfortunately, people will extrapolate the impossible beauty of the fictional world of perfect shadows,vibrant colors, and flawless skin on to the real world, and start judging others by it, especially with women. A woman's worth starts being measured in her looks and weight...and its just sad.

This is an interesting documentary, I saw a while ago, pretty relevant. I don't really agree with "the media" being responsible for the emphasis on beauty, I think it comes from the abundance of shallow people.
Django wrote:Why would you want to eat a deer, that animal is dirty.
tatsuyame

Post by tatsuyame » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:36 am

I resized the original layer to better fit the retouched size, and so you can see the differences easier.

Some of the changes I can understand (color correction, the light spot on the side of her mouth) but most of the rest was unnecessary (removal of sock, pretty much everything body altering, and they changed the bowl of shells? why??). Also, holy shit the hair that falls on her chest looks really fake the longer you stare at it.

I'm fine with some retouching, and pretty much everything is retouched anyway, but I really wish there was a trend or something where they just start using minimally retouched photos (ie, color correction, noise, stuff like that, but no real body-altering stuff), just to show people that "Hey people are actually beautiful naturally, we don't need to alter their body and you shouldn't expect them to look superhuman to think they are beautiful". I guess it's natural to desire certain body shapes, but it's unrealistic and damaging to encourage people to aspire to those shapes.
stickbeast

Post by stickbeast » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:33 pm

I don't really think its the magazines encouraging people, but rather people encouraging themselves to look like that. "You are your own worst critic" as they say. Images like these certainly don't help, but people really need to start being comfortable with themselves.
Pocatello

Post by Pocatello » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:47 pm

The "improvements" are not really improvements. I like Katy just the way she is.

Fake is fake, and I cannot tolerate it. Plastic surgery is nasty... so very nasty. This kind of body surgery via photoshop is more tolerable to me, but I still find it distasteful. I just don't get it.
-----------
TF2 name: Durka Durka Durka
-----------
Avvatar wrote:I know who you're talking about, Adam. But also cannot remember his name for the life of me. I want to say Pocatello but I'm nearly positive that's me misspelling the name of some other admin with poor grammar.
Parasyte wrote:I'm satisfying myself right now just thinking about Avanti.
tatsuyame

Post by tatsuyame » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:49 pm

stickbeast wrote:I don't really think its the magazines encouraging people, but rather people encouraging themselves to look like that. "You are your own worst critic" as they say. Images like these certainly don't help, but people really need to start being comfortable with themselves.
People do encourage themselves to look like that, and then every other form of media reinforces that. They give people what they want, and what they want is an ideal that is incredibly hard and sometimes impossible to live up to. I really would like, as you said, for people to be okay with how they look without feeling the need to drastically change. If that would ever happen, that market for certain products and images would dry up, and the cycle would end. I don't see it happening, though. This stuff has been going on for ages.

After staring at that Katy Perry image for way too long, her breasts are starting to look like buttocks.
CaptainTripps

Post by CaptainTripps » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:08 pm

tatsuyame wrote:
stickbeast wrote:

After staring at that Katy Perry image for way too long, her breasts are starting to look like buttocks.
Well, that is what they are trying to be. To replicate the view lost when we stopped walking on all fours.
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams, Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams;—World-losers and world-forsakers, On whom the pale moon gleams: Yet we are the movers and shakers Of the world for ever, it seems.
stickbeast

Post by stickbeast » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:55 pm

CaptainTripps wrote:
tatsuyame wrote:
stickbeast wrote:

Well, that is what they are trying to be. To replicate the view lost when we stopped walking on all fours.

wait what? i never said that!

In case none of you realized it, the pictures I posted of Jennifer Anniston are the same. Ones the before and the other is the after.

When you can show images of beautiful women to a young girl, and her gut reaction is to feel ugly, there's something so very wrong there. But is it the images fault? It just feels like we are using these photo manipulated images as a scapegoat for the people trying to aspire to the "ideal beauty." People have always been trying to achieve that. Feet binding, lipo-suction, high heels, girdles, those weird old dresses that make you look like a bell, plastic surgery and etc. have long existed before photoshop.
tatsuyame

Post by tatsuyame » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:14 pm

stickbeast wrote:
CaptainTripps wrote:
tatsuyame wrote:
stickbeast wrote: After staring at that Katy Perry image for way too long, her breasts are starting to look like buttocks.

People have always been trying to achieve that. Feet binding, lipo-suction, high heels, girdles, those weird old dresses that make you look like a bell, plastic surgery and etc. have long existed before photoshop.

He quoted it wrong lol.

And that was what I was getting at when I said I didn't see this cycle ending. It's been going on for ages, and will keep going on for ages.

I lol'd at the "weird old dresses that make you look like a bell"
CaptainTripps

Post by CaptainTripps » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:19 pm

stickbeast wrote:
CaptainTripps wrote:
tatsuyame wrote:
stickbeast wrote:

In case none of you realized it, the pictures I posted of Jennifer Anniston are the same. Ones the before and the other is the after.

When you can show images of beautiful women to a young girl, and her gut reaction is to feel ugly, there's something so very wrong there. But is it the images fault? It just feels like we are using these photo manipulated images as a scapegoat for the people trying to aspire to the "ideal beauty." People have always been trying to achieve that. Feet binding, lipo-suction, high heels, girdles, those weird old dresses that make you look like a bell, plastic surgery and etc. have long existed before photoshop.

Well, nothing wrong with wanting to look pretty, it's just in how we go about defining it (and letting others define it for us). Not everyone is going to be considered beautiful by contemporary standards. I have no problem with cosmetic surgery to fix what are actually defects, but people these days are obsessed with things like eye wrinkles. WTF? It's almost like we all have to look the same. Scary.

Then again I know a lot of really happy ugly people. I guess it come down to a personal choice to worry about different things.
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams, Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams;—World-losers and world-forsakers, On whom the pale moon gleams: Yet we are the movers and shakers Of the world for ever, it seems.
UnbirthdayHatter

Post by UnbirthdayHatter » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:36 am

From Jezebel

FOX ORIGINAL:
Darn natural light! The sun's too bright here, but Photoshop color correcting tools can give us that crisp contrast to make the celebrity look like God is smiling on her (but not too much).

PART REPTILE PART FOX: Celebrity eyes often glow a supernatural aquamarine. Really, they're born with it!

EYES: How dare any celebrity show up to a movie premiere with blood shot eyes? Remove those veins!

SKIN: Fox's skin was airbrushed in four shades of flesh tones for that poreless matte finish. Say goodbye pimples, birth marks, freckles, and scars. Pores are so highly overrated!

HEALTHY GLOW: Because her pores have been painted over, a dewy perspiration was simulated with another lacquer of Photoshop paint.

HAIR: The nerve of Fox to allow natural forces such as wind to displace hair strands! Flyaways contained.

THAT PANTENE SHINE: Fox's hair has been gussied up for chrome-like shine.

FINAL:
"You know what I do when I'm sad? I stop being sad, and start being awesome instead. True story."Image
Lad Stankfoot
Martyn J. Bootyspoon
Martyn J. Bootyspoon

Post by Lad Stankfoot » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:41 am

fan0721pke wrote:Make sure all open sores on penis have thoroughly dried and wholesale touch screen laptops scabbed over before use.When taking four cocks in the ass, make sure to have an equal amount of cock in your mouth to reduce the risk of CHI imbalance.
Jason
TODAY IS SUNDAY
<font color=#c032e3><b>TODAY IS SUNDAY</b></font>
Xfire: Jasopiate

Post by Jason » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:55 pm

Why have seen this twice in one day? I've never looked at the cover of a magazine and seen a female that even looks human. Half the time they have like no solid lines to them and just look like an airbrushed photo-like drawing. It's stupid and it makes the women look shitty and fake.
MindFlayer wrote:THIS IS THE FUCKING MAN'S THREAD, NO ONE ASKED ABOUT YOUR GODDAMN LABIA.
a1dan wrote:I came here for the gay sex and all I got was gay sax.