HoN is $10 this weekend.

multiplayer online battle arena (DotA, LoL, HoN, DotA2, etc.)
a1dan
Chills. Shoots Darts.

Re: HoN is $10 this weekend.

Post by a1dan » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:18 pm

Most people use matchmaking so, no.
ImageImageImageImage
Jason wrote:Can't wait to fall in love with a beautiful young man
Jason wrote:Like if I successfully hook up with this guy amazing shit could HAPPEN
Help me get more dropbox space!
Dr Lecter

Post by Dr Lecter » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:33 am

I bought this and I have to say I enjoy the heros and skills a lot more than LoL.

However, the community is either full of half retarded people or 8 year olds (younger than minecrafters, and full of angst). You can almost guarantee if there is some shred of a reason a team mate can blame you for them dying you will be blamed. Then when you type a sentence that has actual typed out words they ask you to speak english.

I'm glad I only spent 10 bucks, though I am kind of hoping my first 10 games somehow got the bottom of the barrel idiots.
Because, since you don't know me, there is a great possibility that I'm on an higher intellectuel level then you are on.
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:37 pm

someone buy me this lol
"To perceive is to suffer" - Aristotle
mbaxter appreciates the beef
MindFlayer

Post by MindFlayer » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:53 pm

The community is definitely not younger than the Mincraft community, which is comprised of literally 8 year old kids. It's more like 16-22 year old demographic, most people rage pretty hard but if you just play as a team most people will be pretty satisfied with you.
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:16 pm

i decided to take advantage of this offer so i went to the site to buy it. surprise, it's back to $30 now. welp i guess i'm not playing HoN any time soon
Mad_Dugan
Hyperbole much?

Post by Mad_Dugan » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:54 pm

Is it because it costs money that make the community members more likely to show disrespect as compared to a free game like LoL? Because they spent money on the game, they are more emotionally invested in the game and expect a positive experience, laying blame on everyone else if that isn't satisfied. (versus "Its a free game, I shouldn't get worked up"
Sometimes the appropriate response to reality is to go insane. - Philip K. Dick
The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away. - Philip K. Dick
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan
Don't believe everything you read on the Internet - Abraham Lincoln
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:16 pm

nah, i'm pretty sure it has to do with gameplay and learning curve of the playerbase
MindFlayer

Post by MindFlayer » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:46 am

It's a bit of both, really. The game is much more difficult and more unforgiving than LoL. It requires the entire team to play together, each person playing the specific role that their hero was designed for (carry, support, initiator, ganker, etc.) and not dicking around. It's also fair to say that people take the game more seriously because it's a retail game unlike LoL.

Joe: You can sign up for a trial account and play ten matches for free. No billing information required
http://www.heroesofnewerth.com/trial

I don't see why you can't do this an unlimited amount of times. Play a bit until you're comfortable with the game. There WILL be another ten dollar weekend and it won't be too far off, I assure you.
If you do decide to make a trial account, feel free to add me and I'd be more than happy to play a few matches with you. My ingame name is bassically.
Dr Lecter

Post by Dr Lecter » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:16 pm

No, I'm fairly sure the game is just full of trolls. I mean, seriously, who blames someone else for them dying due to their own lack of skill? Instead of typing one sentence to tell someone how to be better they will actually hinder the team even more by taking the time to spew put some angsty barely ledigble paragraph of insults.

I seriously feel like the player base is full of people who have been picked on their entire life and lack basic social skills, and this is coming from someone like me who enjoys fucking with people on the interwebs. Don't waste your money unless that type of thing gives you wood.
Because, since you don't know me, there is a great possibility that I'm on an higher intellectuel level then you are on.
a1dan
Chills. Shoots Darts.

Post by a1dan » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:09 pm

Ignoring text isn't that hard. I do it with this forum 99% of the time.
ImageImageImageImage
Jason wrote:Can't wait to fall in love with a beautiful young man
Jason wrote:Like if I successfully hook up with this guy amazing shit could HAPPEN
Help me get more dropbox space!
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:48 pm

did a one dan say something? i didn't notice

mindflayer good idea, maybe i will try that
MindFlayer

Post by MindFlayer » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:37 pm

Eh, I don't have much problem with trolls. If you have a good attitude, most players will be more than happy to communicate with you sensibly. There's always mute and /ignore for those problem children.

Also, when you find cool and competent players, add them to your list and ask them to do the same. Right now I have ~20-30 people on my friend's list and there's pretty much always someone I can queue into matchmaking with.

Doc: If you have the game, feel free to add me and I'll play a couple games with you. I can see how at lower ratings (<1500) most of what you say could be true, but I'm currently rated at 1700 and most of the players are pretty responsible and competent. It can be kind of frustrating to make the climb up though, but as long as you play well consistently it shouldn't be too bad.
Gr|m

Post by Gr|m » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:30 am

Once you get to rank 30, people are pretty serious in LoL. Also, you'll run into jerks with any game you play... although it gets pretty awful in MOBA games
Avvatar
Veni. Legi. Docuit, inportuna.

Post by Avvatar » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:05 pm

What? What people. I'm 30 and I'm hardly serious.
Gr|m

Post by Gr|m » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:10 pm

Avvatar wrote:What? What people. I'm 30 and I'm hardly serious.
more serious than the others!