Anonymous goes after Sony

Appears on http://www.joe.to. Gaming news or community information.
scobywhru
Xfire: scobywhru

Re: Anonymous goes after Sony

Post by scobywhru » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:54 pm

It is wrong but it can also be viewed as a statement or stand against a company, like how I generally buy most games without DRM, I haven't bought EA games for years because they insist on putting draconian DRM in that ruins it for valid customers, same with Ubisoft now, I am not going to spend money on a game I would have to crack to actually play. People who pirate games, like those that download music, are more passionate about them and spend more of there money on them then the average citizen a pirated game does not correlate with 1 lost sale all real studies not funded by the game/music industry show this along with anecdotal evidence from independent or small publishers/game makers. Small game studios find if they just ignore pirates they can make a better game and get MORE money.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2008 ... change.ars

If you ask me this is about 12yrs late, sony has been terrible to consumers for years and years, remember the colluding of the music industry to artificially inflate prices I really enjoyed the $20 cd, and the Rootkit that caused computers to crash from Sony in 2005 and opened a backdoor and reporting mechanism to sony from your PC.
Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy wrote:He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.
SixtyWattMan

Post by SixtyWattMan » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:46 pm

Pentagram.J2 wrote:i understand the OS removal pissed off a lot of people, but I don't believe for a second that the dude did it without intending for the system to be pillaged. I could care less about online activation, but the fact is, the EULA clearly states that what Hotz is doing is illegal, and the fact that he's trying to play all innocent in this is just bullshit.
EULAs do not make things illegal rofl. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
WOZZA wrote:And well done to destroying another topic..
Neelpos
Error 404: Title not found

Post by Neelpos » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:49 pm

"I made a new game console, the EULA has just made gay marriage illegal"
kingscrub wrote:HEY NEELPOS WHY DONT YOU SHOVE THAT RETARDED SMILEYFACE AVATAR UP YOUR ASS.
Sk1n

Post by Sk1n » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:52 pm

Now anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong here. I haven't read completely into the situation about what happened with this Sony stuff. As I understand it, this cat GeoHot reverse engineered the software on the PS3 and leaked the info so people could essentially jailbreak their systems and do all sorts of shit with it that wasn't intended?
I’m afraid of two things: women and snakes. They both have the ability to hurt me and make it look like it was my fault.
scobywhru
Xfire: scobywhru

Post by scobywhru » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:04 pm

yeah but Sony had woefully inadequate protection of the root keys for PS3 which once worked around gave full access to the system.
Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy wrote:He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.
Sk1n

Post by Sk1n » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:41 pm

scobywhru wrote:yeah but Sony had woefully inadequate protection of the root keys for PS3 which once worked around gave full access to the system.
Ok well in that case:
SixtyWattMan wrote:EULAs do not make things illegal rofl. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Isn't necessarily true. (cue a typical boring Sk1n post)

Reverse engineering does violate EULA as well as copyright and patent laws, depending on the situation. There have been many cases about software copyright law and the infringement of it through reverse engineering such as Baystate v. Bowers in which Bowers' CAD software was found to have been reverse engineered and was paid damages for the copyright and patent infringement. In Europe, the EU allows reverse engineering for the purposes of interoperability, but prohibits it for the purposes of creating a competing product, and also prohibits the public release of information obtained through reverse engineering of software. Which is exactly what GeoHot did.

Whether you agree with it or not, it doesn't matter. It's against the law and whoever got in trouble doesn't have any right to complain because they broke the law. No matter what kind of idealistic bullshit is used to try and justify it, plain and simple it was against the law.
I’m afraid of two things: women and snakes. They both have the ability to hurt me and make it look like it was my fault.
Pentagram.J2

Post by Pentagram.J2 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:44 pm

Sk1n++
"The flow if time is always cruel. Its speed seems different for each person, but no one can change it..."

"The wind......it is blowing...."
Josh43558

Post by Josh43558 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:03 pm

Sk1n wrote:Whether you agree with it or not, it doesn't matter. It's against the law and whoever got in trouble doesn't have any right to complain because they broke the law. No matter what kind of idealistic bullshit is used to try and justify it, plain and simple it was against the law.
Ever heard of protesting?
Magnus: This questionnaire is invalid as there is no comedy option. Please revise and resubmit for approval.
King_Fluffy: They're all minecraft servers, they're all comedy options.
isybub

Post by isybub » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:21 pm

i dun have ps3 so it dont really bother me
my friend does though...
wait, protesting against the law!?
NO NO NO NO NO
Oh wait, i pirate, oops :]
Sk1n

Post by Sk1n » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:09 am

Josh43558 wrote:
Sk1n wrote:Whether you agree with it or not, it doesn't matter. It's against the law and whoever got in trouble doesn't have any right to complain because they broke the law. No matter what kind of idealistic bullshit is used to try and justify it, plain and simple it was against the law.
Ever heard of protesting?
Yes I have. I fail to see how that relates to this.
stickbeast

Post by stickbeast » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:45 pm

Geohot is just a kid who figured out how to break Sony's new toy to use homebrew, and told other people how to do it. This has been done with phones for a while now. If it's legal to jailbreak a phone, why is it illegal to jailbreak a PS3?

Why hasn't Nintendo started suing people for installing homebrew on their system?
Django wrote:Why would you want to eat a deer, that animal is dirty.
Sk1n

Post by Sk1n » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:15 pm

stickbeast wrote:Geohot is just a kid who figured out how to break Sony's new toy to use homebrew, and told other people how to do it. This has been done with phones for a while now. If it's legal to jailbreak a phone, why is it illegal to jailbreak a PS3?

Why hasn't Nintendo started suing people for installing homebrew on their system?
To answer your first question, Apple tried to make it illegal to jailbreak their phones. They filed suits to define copyright law in regards to the unlocking of their phones. It was denied and found that jailbreaking is exempt under the DCMA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act) rules. Apple is allowed to release iOS updates and put certain measures in place to prevent people from jailbreaking their phone, but is not allowed to sue anyone for doing it, or they would have done so by now.

Nintendo has never sued anyoneas far as I could find, but they have also implemented many patches to prevent it on both the Wii and DS.

Here's a lateral example of it all.

Jaywalking is a crime. It's on the books. It can be punished and sometimes caries a fine. Depending on where you are though and who catches you, there may or may not be any repercussions. In some cases it's considered a misdemeanor. It other cases cops don't give a shit as long as it doesn't cause any disruptions. The point is, we are all well aware that we run a risk of getting in trouble for it whether the risk is .0001% or 99%. Yeah getting a ticket for jaywalking may be a bullshit cheap way of a city generating revenue, but when it comes down to the basis of it, it's still a law even if it may be a bullshit law.

The same goes for hacking. Some companies might not fight it, others fight it by releasing software updates to prevent it, and some use legal action to fight it, like Sony. No matter what side of the argument someone is on, it's a fact that the releasing of hacking information by Geohot was illegal, as has been shown by the legal system allowing Sony to proceed with a lawsuit against Geohot. Calling the legislation against hacking the PS3 a bullshit law, doesn't change the fact that it is still a law.

And if all these hackers hate Sony and all these other console's limitations so much so that the feel the need to hack the consoles and customize them as they see fit, then maybe they should build their own fucking consoles the way they think it should be made and then freely share those with everyone.
stickbeast

Post by stickbeast » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:51 pm

Right. It's still not illegal to jailbreak your smart phone, so what changes about it being a console?

Jailbreaking isn't an automatically bad or illegal thing. It just eliminates some restrictions and enhances your device's capabilities. We can think of it as a plug-in, like what we use to run our TF2, GMod and CSS servers. Are we committing a crime by using them? Are Valve's updates that break Sourcemod a hint at us (and the thousands of people that rely on Sourcemod because we don't like Valve's provided admin abilities) to stop using them? No. They aren't that stupid.

Sony is just stubbornly clinging to the failed "old business model." As people get more and more familiar with computers and new consoles with amazing computer-like capabilities, we are starting to use products not JUST for their intended use. Thanks to the internet, this information and any additional software is made easily available. This is the direction things are going, and to fight against it, is like fighting against a current. George Hotz is just 21 year old, and he managed to crack the iPhone and PS3. What could he have done if given full resources and a full time job at Apple or Sony? We will never know, because Sony insists on making enemies when it could be making great friends.
Django wrote:Why would you want to eat a deer, that animal is dirty.
CaptainTripps

Post by CaptainTripps » Sun May 01, 2011 11:39 am

Yea, I install custom ROMS on every phone I buy, I never really understood a company having a say in how I use a product once I purchase it. If you are attempting to gain access to OTHER people's hardware that's one thing, but the ability to modify something once you've paid for it seems pretty fucking obvious. I always wondered why companies don't pay more attention to the custom mod scene and try to implement the more popular ones, maybe grab the guys developing it and paying them, since you get a clearer idea of what people actually want by what they actually search for and use.
And if all these hackers hate Sony and all these other console's limitations so much so that the feel the need to hack the consoles and customize them as they see fit, then maybe they should build their own fucking consoles the way they think it should be made and then freely share those with everyone.
Ridiculous argument, people don't have the money and resources to do this from scratch. They can however, PAY SONY for the hardware then change/redesign/addon whatever they like. I mean, you wouldn't tell someone they couldn't modify their computers, would you? Overclock their CPU's and GPU's? I recall negative industry overreaction when people first started doing this, and nowadays the software to do so comes with a purchase.
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams, Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams;—World-losers and world-forsakers, On whom the pale moon gleams: Yet we are the movers and shakers Of the world for ever, it seems.
Little Weapon

Post by Little Weapon » Wed May 04, 2011 4:39 am

stickbeast wrote:The industry doesn't realize that an illegal download is NOT a sale lost. People don't hack or illegally download things to make money. They do it because they love watching movies, love listening to music, and love playing games. If they were to devise a system accounting for the new age of media, where anything is released is available for free, maybe they could come up with something that actually makes the consumer to gladly pay for a product.

Starting this witch hunt for people who have hacked is just dumb, making people put in serial codes for a game is dumb, and not letting your game run without consistent connection to the official game servers is dumb. It puts the regular consumer through a lot more, for what is going to be hacked and available for free anyway.
Music sells a lot less these days mostly due to piracy
CaptainTripps wrote:Chicken, how does it work?