dota2 $50

multiplayer online battle arena (DotA, LoL, HoN, DotA2, etc.)
joe
The Big Cheese

Re: dota2 $50

Post by joe » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:48 am

just some news from the live stream "only 46 heroes have been implemented so far"
"To perceive is to suffer" - Aristotle
mbaxter appreciates the beef
Avvatar
Veni. Legi. Docuit, inportuna.

Post by Avvatar » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:01 pm

What? Million dollar tournament, the teams can't even use whatever heroes they want.
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:14 pm

they can use whatever heroes they want

46 heroes have been implemented so far

those two statements aren't contradictory
mbaxter
Now With Added Calcium!
<b>Now With <font color=#00689c>Added Calcium!</font></b>

Post by mbaxter » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:03 pm

We don't know for certain if it's going to be $50. That could have been a standard temporary price as it's the standard game price.
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:39 pm

joe wrote:a swedish company said valve's recommended price was $50 (379 in their currency)
Estroy

Post by Estroy » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:44 pm

joe wrote:
joe wrote:a swedish company said valve's recommended price was $50 (379 in their currency)
League of Legends EU West: Estroy (Level 30)
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:55 pm

right, which is what all prices are based on, it's called MSRP. if the MSRP is $50, then it will be sold for $50 (or 49.99 or whatever - the point is, it's not going to be $Free or $20)

also, just read this, which made me LOL (laugh out loud):
Blizzard is aiming to release its StarCraft 2 DOTA mod at around the same time as Heart of the Swarm, the developer has revealed.

Speaking at a press conference at Gamescom earlier today, senior game designer Jonny Ebbert said that Blizzard DOTA will be out "near the launch" of the next chapter in the StarCraft 2 saga.

Heart of the Swarm is still without a firm date, though earlier this year a 2011 launch was deemed unlikely.

Ebbert declined to offer up any further details on the mod, "outside of the fact that it's awesome", stating that more will be revealed at BlizzCon later this year.

Blizzard's DOTA mod, built in the StarCraft II engine, was first revealed at BlizzCon last year.

Valve's competing effort, DOTA 2, debuted at Gamescom this week and is due to launch before the end of 2011.
a1dan
Chills. Shoots Darts.

Post by a1dan » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:56 pm

I think I'm more interested in that than dota2 at this point.
ImageImageImageImage
Jason wrote:Can't wait to fall in love with a beautiful young man
Jason wrote:Like if I successfully hook up with this guy amazing shit could HAPPEN
Help me get more dropbox space!
mbaxter
Now With Added Calcium!
<b>Now With <font color=#00689c>Added Calcium!</font></b>

Post by mbaxter » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:58 pm

joe wrote:
Did the swedish company make an official press statement that it was 50 dollars, or did that just show up on their site?

$50 is the standard valve game cost, it could have easily been a placeholder.
Haymakers9th

Post by Haymakers9th » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:25 pm

I'll definitely play it if it's free, provided I'll be able to play with a bunch of n00bs because there is no way in hell I will be able to invest enough effort into that game to play it competitively.

And if I like it, I'll definitely be buying some hats or something in it to support it.
Steam
GW2: Haymaker.8924 (Tinthundered, Encoelia)
stickbeast wrote: However many dicks she can manage to fit in her mouth in a year really isn't any of your business and you shouldn't judge her for it.
Gr|m

Post by Gr|m » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:25 pm

a1dan wrote:I definitely didn't expect it to be free, but I didn't think it'd be anywhere near $50, more like $25-$35.

The fact that a lot of the people on this forum bitched that they didn't want to blow $10-$30 on HoN but are willing to drop $50 on DoTA 2, which currently has 0 reviews and some very underwhelming gameplay videos is pretty hilarious though.
It's because valve consistently has made very good games and I trust that they aren't going to bomb this particular one. And I wasn't going to buy HoN when I enjoy LoL just as much for free (especially because pretty much all of my friends can run it on their computers)
dantesus

Post by dantesus » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:26 pm

From what I've seen from the tournament stream, I would definitely want to play the game. I like how the sound bytes from DotA all-stars are in Dota 2. The graphics look nice and sleek, although sometimes the voices of the champions overlap (maybe because the stream was in observer mode). I haven't seen any lag on the stream, but I have read about there being major lag issues that have stopped matches. I will probably buy it even if it is $50 (though I don't think it will be that much at release), my good college friend is into dota, so I will buy it if he buys it.

On a side note, I read in an earlier post in this thread about Blizzard Dota: if you guys are interested, there is a popular moba mod for sc2 called SotIS. It's a lot like dota, but with sc2 heroes. I played it earlier on and it was pretty unbalanced at that point, but I haven't played it at all lately. Check it out if you own a copy of sc2 and you're bored with lol or hon.
MrBlip wrote:WELCOME TO THE HOTEL JOE TO
MindFlayer

Post by MindFlayer » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:30 pm

Rat-morningstar wrote:lol's easy to start off, compared to dota, but skill ceiling's about the same, minus the shooting friends in the back to deny some gold to your enemy
If you actually seriously think this, you should try playing a a couple games of Dota with people who have been playing for a couple years. Honestly. I've played about 10-20 games of LoL, and I can logon to my friend's 1700 ELO account and play with everyone else like it's nothing. I seriously actually DARE you to play a couple games of low-level DoTA and then move up into semi-serious play.

Seriously. Go log on to Dotalicious right now or even fucking Garena for Christ sakes, pick any hero and let me know how your match goes.
prolix

Post by prolix » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:13 pm

MindFlayer wrote:
Rat-morningstar wrote:lol's easy to start off, compared to dota, but skill ceiling's about the same, minus the shooting friends in the back to deny some gold to your enemy
If you actually seriously think this, you should try playing a a couple games of Dota with people who have been playing for a couple years. Honestly. I've played about 10-20 games of LoL, and I can logon to my friend's 1700 ELO account and play with everyone else like it's nothing. I seriously actually DARE you to play a couple games of low-level DoTA and then move up into semi-serious play.

Seriously. Go log on to Dotalicious right now or even fucking Garena for Christ sakes, pick any hero and let me know how your match goes.
MindFlayer

Post by MindFlayer » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:20 pm

I'm just sayin', anyone who played Dota first and then LoL will quickly realize that LoL was developed for simpletons and people without thumbs.