Simple LoL questions

multiplayer online battle arena (DotA, LoL, HoN, DotA2, etc.)
mbaxter
Now With Added Calcium!
<b>Now With <font color=#00689c>Added Calcium!</font></b>

Simple LoL questions

Post by mbaxter » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:02 am

1) What is the difference between top and bottom? I don't see one, yet I always see strategies specific to one over the other.

2) Why do I see most teams go two top two bottom one middle? Why not push middle?

3) Why do all the female characters have such large boobs? That can't be helpful in battle.
Estroy

Re: Simple LoL questions

Post by Estroy » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:26 am

mbaxter wrote:3) Why do all the female characters have such large boobs? That can't be helpful in battle.

Biggest Lulz, thank you bax.

Cause its hawt, doh.
League of Legends EU West: Estroy (Level 30)
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:38 am

1 i dont know, might just be tradition, but in LoL there is a difference. there is less brush on top

2 its easier for top or bottom to help mid if needed so it's better to solo it, if you pushed with 2 their mid (usually the carry or strongest soloer) would level up faster and be a bigger threat.
"To perceive is to suffer" - Aristotle
mbaxter appreciates the beef
Estroy

Post by Estroy » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:49 am

I answerred 3 for Joe.

You're welcome.
League of Legends EU West: Estroy (Level 30)
Mad_Dugan
Hyperbole much?

Post by Mad_Dugan » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:18 am

mbaxter wrote:1) What is the difference between top and bottom? I don't see one, yet I always see strategies specific to one over the other.
Dragon is bottom, so being able to deny the other team and/or take it is important.
Sometimes the appropriate response to reality is to go insane. - Philip K. Dick
The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away. - Philip K. Dick
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan
Don't believe everything you read on the Internet - Abraham Lincoln
BalthazarMcLovin

Post by BalthazarMcLovin » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:14 am

Mad_Dugan wrote:
mbaxter wrote:1) What is the difference between top and bottom? I don't see one, yet I always see strategies specific to one over the other.
Dragon is bottom, so being able to deny the other team and/or take it is important.
When you have a jungler, the extra solo lane is always top for this reason. It's easier to get/deny dragon with 3 people rather than 2 (3 with normal lane, 2 with solo lane bottom).

The jungler is an unorthodox way of playing your champion. Some champions were made to jungle, like Warwick, Nunu, Fiddlesticks and Olaf, and others CAN jungle if you need them to like Amumu and Malphite. The junglers job is to get experience and gold from the jungle creeps, using a route which he will follow. Junglers have the job of ganking lanes which are over extended (pushed more than halfway) for kills and getting dragon.

Also, if you are on the blue team bottom (purple team top) is almost always better for champions who have skillshots with a lot of range, because of that little Fog of War (next to the tribrush) you can drop skillshots over it without the enemy expecting it, it works really well for champions like Nidalee, Lux and Blitzcrank.
teaching bitches how to swim
mbaxter
Now With Added Calcium!

Post by mbaxter » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:15 am

Thanks for the responses, guys :)

4) Dragon?
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:39 am

a neutral monster that gives everyone on the team 190 gold, it's equivalent to 2 or 3 enemy hero kills. it respawns every 6 minutes and in pro games the dragon isn't up for longer than 5 seconds before a team kills it because it gives the whole team a big advantage

baron is the other big monster in the river and respawns every 7 minutes and gives everyone on the team a very strong buff that regens health and mana and gives them a big damage bonus
"To perceive is to suffer" - Aristotle
mbaxter appreciates the beef
Gr|m

Post by Gr|m » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:46 pm

Dragon is basically like getting a free tower kill and keeping tabs on it, like joe said, is very advantageous. You know you're with new players (or just bad players) when there are no wards in the game and dragon is hardly ever killed
mbaxter
Now With Added Calcium!

Post by mbaxter » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:48 pm

5) Wards?
Platty
Bathtub Meth Sold Here!
<font color=#BF8000>Bathtub Meth Sold Here!</font>

Post by Platty » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:54 pm

They allow you to see certain spots on the map. It's like CV (given you know what CV (Clairvoyance) is)
Draupniro

Post by Draupniro » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:04 pm

Sir_Plattapus wrote:They allow you to see certain spots on the map. It's like CV (given you know what CV (Clairvoyance) is)
better explanation: its an item (that you can place on the map) that gives vision (reveals the fog of war) in a certain radius around it. for a few minutes. its use is spotting enemy ganks (people coming up from their lane/the jungle to attack you in hopes of killing you) or for seeing if the enemy is going to go and kill any of the neutral monsters in the river (Baron or Dragon).
MineCraft username: Draupniro
Steam name: TheDuckening
LeagueOfLegends name: TheDuckening
Estroy wrote:Fuck, got owned by draup.
<j2server_mc2> <Pennoy999> <ADMIN> You sexeh individual :L
Anatidaephobia
The fear that somewhere, somehow, a duck is watching you.
NightFantom
fuck you i'm a dragon
<font color=#800000>fuck you i'm a dragon</font>

Post by NightFantom » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:22 pm

5) wards are 75g consumables that you can place around the map (at a medium range), which give you vision as if an invisible ally stood in that place, they last for 3 minutes iirc (confirmation pls), there's also a more expensive version (125g) that can see invisible units (including other wards)

there's more to it than that but "extra vision" is key

also, CV is a summoner spell that allows you to view a large area of the map, including brushes, not including invisible units

1) just wanted to add that depending on the side you're on, the jungler either has blue buff (mana regen and cooldown reduction, left and right quarters of the map) or red buff (damage over time and slow on basic attacks, top and bottom quarters of the map) close by your lane, red buff is perfect for a jungler to come and gank, while blue isn't *that* important to gank

3) it's marketed towards boys in their puberty (and we all know most of don't ever get out, don't deny it ;) )

2) two's company, three's a crowd, and the lanes can always go 1-2-2 or 2-0-3 or w/e whenever someone needs help
that seems like a huge amount of work for no good reason - joe
or, you know, sarcasm - Neelpos
Gr|m

Post by Gr|m » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:45 pm

For the sake of this making sense, I will refer to "sight" as simply being able to see the map without fog of war and I will refer to "vision" as being able to see without fog of war but also see things that are invisible.

There are Sight Wards which cost 75g and give sight, like described, and then there are Vision wards which cost 125g and give you vision. You run near the place you want to put them, and plop them down. If you place a ward in a bush, you will be able to see any enemies in that bush- which can be very helpful against someone like blitzcrank that is always hiding in the lane bush to pull you. Also, when laning against someone who goes invisible, plopping a vision ward down in the middle of your lane will ruin any stealth advantage that character would previously have had. (just a note: towers reveal hidden units as well). Both types of wards last for 3 minutes and are invisible to the other team. If you place a vision ward by an enemy team sight ward, you will be able to see the enemy team's sight ward and destroy it (gaining 25g)! If I know that the enemy team has placed a sight ward by dragon (for instance), I will often by a vision ward and place it near the ward they placed, and destroy their ward to get back some of the extra money I spent on my ward. Vision wards are good because you KNOW for certain that the other team does not have a ward in that particular location, so you can have confidence when walking through that particular area. Hope that makes sense.

It's also worth mentioning that there is a 400g potion called the Oracles Elixer. This is a consumable that, when consumed, allows you to see invisible things near you. That means that you can find and kill other team's wards and Teemo mushrooms- and you can see any champions that go invisible. When you die, this effect fades from you, so you need to be careful about choosing when and if to buy one.

One tip that I have for you: When placing wards, it's a good idea to try and do it when the enemy doesn't have vision of you. For instance, if you are warding the bush right right next to your lane, found in the river, it is advantageous for your team to not know that you have vision there. When someone comes to gank, they will not know that you are aware of them, and they may wait quite a long time for you to get in a good position (But since you know they are there, you would just play very safely, wasting there time :)) Also, if you are laning against someone who goes invisible, and they see that you have placed a vision ward, they aren't going to just go walking stealthed around you anymore. If you can place the ward down after you have cleared a wave of minions, you will often get yourself a free kill as the invisible player comes walking over towards you without knowing you can see them.

I know I wrote a lot... hope it makes sense though :p

Oh and one thing I just thought of! A ward does not turn invisible for about 2 or 3 seconds... so if you place it by a group of enemy players, it is likely that they will all be able to get 1 auto attack on it and destroy it! It only takes 3 auto attacks to destroy wards and mushrooms, so keep that in mind :)

EDIT: fantom kinda beat me!!!! :(
mbaxter
Now With Added Calcium!

Post by mbaxter » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:41 pm

So apparently some people can go invisible. Good to know.

Thanks for all the answers :)