New changes coming to TF4

Anything dealing with the game Team Fortress 2 or the servers we host for it.
Hoodedsniper

New changes coming to TF4

Post by Hoodedsniper » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:54 am

Alright so i have been giving the chance to help out with TF4.

You know that TF2 server.

Anyways i offered to help out and try and improve the experience and to make it less like an average custom map server and to try and give it something more fitted to j2 and how a lot of the old servers used to be like.

Right now the biggest issue is maps, even though there is not a set cycle there still is somewhat of a cycle, if you notice, a lot of the same maps are played over and over again, and a lot of other maps arnt played at all and some maps are actually crap on the server.

I want to fix this because maps are a big part of a server, right now a big reason the same maps are played over and over again is because they are good maps, rooftime is fun thats why its voted all the time and a lot of people join in.

Then something like cp_orange_3de3w83489023840902332_2009_y2k_3300_fun isnt as well liked and tbh isnt a good map.

Then there is a lot of good maps that arnt played, i think its Koth_cargo but we finally played it one day and i instantly loved it but its been sitting there for a while, now its something i want to nominate now that it was played and is actually a fun small map.

Right now i think the maps are a HUGE part of j2, they always have been on any game because they give more options.

What i think right now is that J2 really needs to have tons of maps that are easy to find and nominate and are LIKED, there are too many maps that arnt even played and probably due to not being fun, so i want to get rid of that.

so right now here what im proposing to try, scrap the current mapcycle(I find it a bit messy) and pumping in tons of maps in all different styles.

So this is what i think right now, IN ORDER OF THE NOMINATE LIST.

-Custom Maps(This would include maps like PL_swiftwater, Koth_crazytank_b1/lighthouse, ctf_cruise, etc...)

Now custom maps would include most of the servers map into one list, it might seem a bit hectic but not every map will actually be there because there are more lists for more maps.
Anyways, this section would be in the order of a CP then CTF then PL then Koth then PLR and so on.

-Valve maps(You know)

-Fun.

Now fun would be something like rooftime, lolcanos, towers, and something like http://www.gamebanana.com/maps/94933 (Think of wacky things like races and balloons)
Dont think there wont be a lot of choices in here, im still finding maps so this list should be big.

-Custom Modes. Now this list will be hard to make and might not actually happen because there might not be a lot maps that work correctly, but what this would be are maps that are things like melee only or the_hunted.
This list wont probably happen because so far its hard finding these and a lot are broken. Also maps in this list arnt eyecandy or to be taken seriously, they are gimmicky but break far from the norm and change things up,.

-Saxton Hale Mode.
Yup and this can work by a map, to start off it would be nominated ONLY with something like badlands or something to start out and see how it works with the server. What this means is that for a little bit this mode can only be voted on once every 5 maps, this is to see how people like it and to try and make a more fair system so this isnt overplayed.

Take this with a grain of salt, i will update this page tomorrow with changes if any happen and more details.

This is what i think the first step is to take into making TF4 back into something more unique.

Now something else that has the biggest effect on TF4 and J2.

Its the whole community here that plays here.

So if you want to make this work than give this a chance and give it time.

Break away from the normal and get back into that fucked up drug trip that j2 should be.

The biggest thing is and has always been to have fun.

Im serious, J2 pretty much has a few rules, No racism, no illegal, no homophobic, and no bigotry.

But the biggest one is to just have fun and dont ruin others people fun.

So remember to take tf4 as a something fun.

Give feedback on these ideas please. Try and focus on this post and not other issues you might have with tf4 or tf4 has itself.
Last edited by Hoodedsniper on Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zeno

Re: New changes coming to TF4

Post by Zeno » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:13 pm

Uh, I think the biggest issue is the lag spikes that occur every day on tf4. :( Will this be fixed?
-Zeno McDohl (reseph@reddit), http://steamcommunity.com/id/zenoxio
Dark Souls matchmaking: http://www.darksoulsfind.org/ (PS duel me)
Hoodedsniper

Post by Hoodedsniper » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:22 pm

Zeno wrote:Uh, I think the biggest issue is the lag spikes that occur every day on tf4. :( Will this be fixed?
Im pretty sure this is already being worked but its way out of my reach and info.

Try and give feedback to whats in this thread.
Why?
I DON'T MAKE MAPS!!!™

Post by Why? » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:34 pm

Hoodedsniper wrote:Then there is a lot of good maps that aren't played, i think its koth_cargo but we finally played it one day and i instantly loved it but its been sitting there for a while, now its something i want to nominate now that it was played and is actually a fun small map.
:smug:

I finally got off my (mentally) lazy ass and fixed the broken textures. I'll be uploading koth_cargo_yard soon but I'm currently testing something on it. News at 11!
"Too awesome to play; too legit to quit." — Team Spectator Motto

mbaxter
Now With Added Calcium!
<b>Now With <font color=#00689c>Added Calcium!</font></b>

Post by mbaxter » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:33 pm

lag issues are planned to be resolved soon. we'll see how that goes.
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:56 pm

hoodedsniper i just want to emphasize one thing:

ignore all complaints, for 3-4 weeks at least.

if someone has helpful feedback about a map you don't have or that you have but it crashes the server, that's useful. but people just saying "my favorite map XYZ isn't on the server, i demand you add it!" or "map XYZ sucks, i demand you remove it!" - get your feet wet, figure out what you're doing, and allow it to stabilize for a little while before you start dealing with feedback like that. it's a complex problem and adding in all the different opinions from everyone about every single map is just way too much information to deal with when you're still getting a handle on the mapcycle to begin with.

people WILL complain, just tell them you will start taking feedback in X weeks or whatever. of course like i said if someone has a new map idea or wants to remove a map that is literally broken, that's useful info immediately

good luck!
"To perceive is to suffer" - Aristotle
mbaxter appreciates the beef
Nightwolf

Post by Nightwolf » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:00 pm

Well thats good now if Valve could fix the heaping pile of patch that they recently did that causes 95% of us to crash. (rant part)

I hope you don't throw away cp_redfort or cp_wolf I love those maps :3
SurNim wrote:SPREAD THE LOVE! OR DIE!
Mass Arrests > Suppressed Technologies Released > Finally ET Disclosure
Mass Arrests currently in progress... :toot:
Why.j2 wrote:Keep Try.
joe
The Big Cheese

Post by joe » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:02 pm

btw all maps will physically still be on the server, just not appearing in nomination lists or end of map votes.

if you really really want to play a certain map, ask an admin nicely and maybe they will load it manually at the end of the round :)
"To perceive is to suffer" - Aristotle
mbaxter appreciates the beef
Hoodedsniper

Post by Hoodedsniper » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:21 pm

Ya joe i realize thats gonna happen and already planned on it.

Luckily i was able to figure out what wasnt letting me make a lan dedicated server(couldnt even connect to it) so right now im actually trying out saxton hale and figuring out how it could work and i have a good idea for it now.

As for maps nightwolf, id never remove those because i love those maps, im actually incredibly against removing maps.

Id only remove a map if it was honestly just god awful and i know it would be awful.

But now since i got hale mode working correctly and got a good system in place for it to try it for a week or two, i can now start adding maps and making the map list.

Also im playing every map before i add it, im not just downloading and writing them in, im actually going into them and seeing how it looks and figuring out if it would be something good.
BPM

Post by BPM » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:39 pm

I guess I'll give you my feedback.
- lag is the biggest killer of the server right now.
- Maps are the second biggest killer.
- I don't like the Saxton Hale mod idea for Tf4, rather it should go on tf5 or 6 or tf69.
- I'd like to see some of the older maps that used to be on the server but aren't anymore.
- Maybe a return of Silly Sundays, or something like it.

A major problem.
- This community right now is way too whiny. About half the people love rooftime and half the people hate it and it seems to be that way with other maps.
I mean that. This community is a bunch of whiners. A map gets removed or someone tries something different and half the server whines and complains. I remember back when I first started playing on this server nobody whined. If they didn't like the map they'd suck it up and have fun, unless it was so horrible it got Rtv'ed.
scobywhru
Xfire: scobywhru

Post by scobywhru » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:41 pm

Modes can be voted on in with the current mapvoting system so it would be like the end of round map vote
Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy wrote:He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.
Hoodedsniper

Post by Hoodedsniper » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:45 pm

BPM wrote:I guess I'll give you my feedback.
- lag is the biggest killer of the server right now.
- Maps are the second biggest killer.
- I don't like the Saxton Hale mod idea for Tf4, rather it should go on tf5 or 6 or tf69.
- I'd like to see some of the older maps that used to be on the server but aren't anymore.
- Maybe a return of Silly Sundays, or something like it.

A major problem.
- This community right now is way too whiny. About half the people love rooftime and half the people hate it and it seems to be that way with other maps.
I mean that. This community is a bunch of whiners. A map gets removed or someone tries something different and half the server whines and complains. I remember back when I first started playing on this server nobody whined. If they didn't like the map they'd suck it up and have fun, unless it was so horrible it got Rtv'ed.
Saxton hale would have to be voted on and for right now it would only be once every 5 maps and would have to be able a certain number of people in the server to vote on it (probably 12-16, seems unfair if its too low)

Dont worry, i plan on adding a lot of older maps, i want to give people the option to have a lot of options when it comes to maps and style of play, right now its pretty standard.

Already talking about bringing back silly sundays, maybe even silly weekends later at night, who knows.
Nightwolf

Post by Nightwolf » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:59 pm

I love and miss silly sundays. I am forever in your debt.
SurNim wrote:SPREAD THE LOVE! OR DIE!
Mass Arrests > Suppressed Technologies Released > Finally ET Disclosure
Mass Arrests currently in progress... :toot:
Why.j2 wrote:Keep Try.
Wolsk
Im hungry, i need a fur burger
<font color=blue>Im hungry, i need a fur burger</font>

Post by Wolsk » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:47 pm

So you removed rockthevote and nominate, right?
If not, I think you should do that for now.
That way, the players would be forced to try every map.
It gets more maps known, so people can nominate new things.
mbaxter
Now With Added Calcium!
<b>Now With <font color=#00689c>Added Calcium!</font></b>

Post by mbaxter » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:58 pm

Gets the server empty more often.