Is TF4 the throw away server it's being treated as?

Anything dealing with the game Team Fortress 2 or the servers we host for it.
FrEaKyJoKeR

Is TF4 the throw away server it's being treated as?

Post by FrEaKyJoKeR » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:43 pm

I am all for joe.to expanding with the times, but I am also selfish. If I am playing team fortress then 100% of the time I check tf4, if there are no people then I play another server, if there are any people even 1, then I join tf4. So when I see all these new servers, tf7 tf69 tf5 (I guess it was not new but I didn’t know about it) I get a little sad. I get sad because tf4 lags really bad and crashes all the time, like right now. So people are playing less and less, and we can blame new games or other factors for less play but the 2-3 other non joe.to servers I track are pretty full. Has the joe.to community and administration decided that tf4.joe.to is a low priority and the monthly resources are better used elsewhere?
If so, then I want to toss my voice in the fray; I play on tf4 99.5% of the time and I want that made a priority over the other servers and especially the other brand new or emerging servers.

thanks
Zeno

Re: Is TF4 the throw away server it's being treated as?

Post by Zeno » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:49 pm

I think part of the reason we see no one on tf4 right now is because of the Halloween event. We're running a different server for that event 24/7 and a number of regulars are probably over there.

The others are typically active because they're on the Quick Play feature, so random players end up there.

I highly doubt tf4 is a low priority, but I'm not one to say.
-Zeno McDohl (reseph@reddit), http://steamcommunity.com/id/zenoxio
Dark Souls matchmaking: http://www.darksoulsfind.org/ (PS duel me)
jennyy

Post by jennyy » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:00 pm

TF4 SERVER SUCKS. Yeah I know I might sound like a broken record player but last night the fucking lag totally cleared out the whole server.
Wolsk
Im hungry, i need a fur burger
<font color=blue>Im hungry, i need a fur burger</font>

Post by Wolsk » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:14 pm

The Halloween update and the lag that Bax refuses to believe exists are the reasons why it has been empty recently.
Hoodedsniper

Post by Hoodedsniper » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:16 pm

Believe me, im all for helping it out, i want to really bad.

I already have a bit by adding around 20 new maps and changing the map list and how its organized.

I dunno if its on yet because i have to go through bax or anyone else that can upload to the server, something i wish i had because id be working on it all the time, but as of right now im handicapped and i dont like going through bax because he already does enough shit.
Snugglebear

Post by Snugglebear » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:18 pm

RIP, TF3.
Doctor Hannibal Lecter wrote:I think we should ban video games on the j2 community and only allow bickering.
Adam

Post by Adam » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:19 pm

Those servers are full because they are bland shallow quickplay servers full of f2p'ers who aren't looking for a regular server or community. I think the senior admins may have once thought that they would contribute to TF4 or J2 but really it's just wasted bandwidth and it has nothing to do with why TF4 doesn't have as many players.
FrEaKyJoKeR

Post by FrEaKyJoKeR » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:19 pm

jennyy wrote:TF4 SERVER SUCKS. Yeah I know I might sound like a broken record player but last night the fucking lag totally cleared out the whole server.
i was on then, it went from 24 people to 8 in less than an hour, i feel like this is really common
Wolsk wrote:The Halloween update and the lag that Bax refuses to believe exists are the reasons why it has been empty recently.
i really feel like you are right, the lag is driving people away

Hoodedsniper wrote:I already have a bit by adding around 20 new maps and changing the map list and how its organized
That's awesome, thanks for pitching in on the server side. I am mostly concered about the lag/bandwith. one night tf69 had a lot of people and zero lag, i dont know what needs to be done on that end, but i am all for putting up more $$$ if i knew it was going into fixing tf4 and not a tf8 (see selfish comment above).

I think Bax does a lot too for joe.to so i am not trying to give him more work, i just want my fav server of all time to work when i feel like playing.
Adam wrote:Those servers are full because they are bland shallow quickplay servers full of f2p'ers who aren't looking for a regular server or community. I think the senior admins may have once thought that they would contribute to TF4 or J2 but really it's just wasted bandwidth and it has nothing to do with why TF4 doesn't have as many players.
well the 2-3 other servers i look at 2 are not normal servers, and they are pretty strong comminutes also. I don’t play on " normal" servers if i can help it. More likely if tf4 is empty I just don’t play.
It seems like a chicken/egg situation. Why waste resources on fixing tf4 when no one plays… or is nobody playing because of how much it is sucking.
rottencheeseCA
Tall Man with Feelings

Post by rottencheeseCA » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:28 pm

shut down minecraft = no lag. Think about it mbaxter, u would finally be free (not really)
Django-Oh lord, take my lunch money. Please, don't hurt me!
Waterbear- You're dumb and stupid btw and i hate you for saying that forever
Adam- You are right. It's time we all stopped hiding. I'm a girl gamer and I know Joe, RottenCheese and Waterbear are too.
Otome Django~♥: keep frineds close, and you haters EVEN closer
mbaxter
Now With Added Calcium!
<b>Now With <font color=#00689c>Added Calcium!</font></b>

Post by mbaxter » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:02 pm

I have asked for lag reports. Repeatedly. None of you complainers have sent me information that would help.

hooded, your cycle and maps is what's on the server currently, has been for several days now
Adam

Post by Adam » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:39 pm

What do we need to do to help you out Baxter?
Parasyte

Post by Parasyte » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:57 pm

Adam wrote:What do we need to do to help you out Baxter?
He's asked for detailed incident reports with times and dates.
Zeno

Post by Zeno » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:28 am

mbaxter wrote:I have asked for lag reports. Repeatedly. None of you complainers have sent me information that would help.

hooded, your cycle and maps is what's on the server currently, has been for several days now
Didn't know that, I can send some in.

But... can't you just grep the chat logs for tf4 for people complaining about lag? At least a couple people chat "wtf lag" or the sort during those few second lag spikes.
-Zeno McDohl (reseph@reddit), http://steamcommunity.com/id/zenoxio
Dark Souls matchmaking: http://www.darksoulsfind.org/ (PS duel me)
FrEaKyJoKeR

Post by FrEaKyJoKeR » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:19 am

i dont go to the forums much so i didnt know you asked for lag reports.
When i did this post to start out the serve lagged then crashed, so that is at least one data point :-)
i guess i will keep a log, but it really is pretty much all the time 2 people or 20.
mbaxter
Now With Added Calcium!
<b>Now With <font color=#00689c>Added Calcium!</font></b>

Post by mbaxter » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:37 am

Zeno wrote:But... can't you just grep the chat logs for tf4 for people complaining about lag? At least a couple people chat "wtf lag" or the sort during those few second lag spikes.
No. People are hilariously unreliable. Not just being cynical, the data I'd get from a log grep would be useless.