Post by qwertys117 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:09 pm

A skyblock server with flying ships:

http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/ships/
Pielo
Ultimate Yakslapper

Re: Server game mode ideas!

Post by Pielo » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:00 am

I have some questions and suggestions.
-How long would all the phases take together?
-I don't think the whole match will take that much time, so if you would add skillpoints I suggest players can spend them ingame.
-Also, when the match is done, I think it would be better to reset the skillpoints of the players.
-I would go for 3 teams, so if one team becomes to powerful, the other 2 teams can work together to restore the balance.
-It would be cool if there would be like outposts or holds with NPC's who defend it and a treasure hidden in the outpost.
“A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.”
jenna1223 wrote:I swear to god (sorry if your'e atheist) that i do not lie to powerful people.
dyl1138
Falling Down
<font color=blue>Falling</font><font color=red> Down</font>

Post by dyl1138 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:29 am

Prebuilt outposts is a little op, especially when you consider the treasure.
Also, skill points would have to be given to each player at the beginning of the match and removed at the end, to keep a new player friendly environment. The time per match is intentional to accommodate for vxi's vision of heavily armored players assaulting a fortress. 3 teams would allow for teaming up against another, but any kind of damage negation between any of the 3 teams WILL NOT WORK OUT.
What is crutch
Bison don't hurt me
Don't hurt me
No more
Pielo
Ultimate Yakslapper

Post by Pielo » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:11 pm

dyl1138 wrote:Prebuilt outposts is a little op, especially when you consider the treasure.
If it's possible, I should add them at War Period, not from the beginning because that wouldn't be fair indeed.
jenna1223 wrote:I swear to god (sorry if your'e atheist) that i do not lie to powerful people.
dyl1138
Falling Down

Post by dyl1138 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:23 pm

It'd be very interesting if prebuilt structures like villages, strongholds, and small custom builds like this fort or whatever spawned in later stages.
What is crutch
Bison don't hurt me
Don't hurt me
No more
vxi
Knight of the Hokey Pokey
<b>Knight of the Hokey Pokey</b>

Post by vxi » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:36 pm

qwertys117 wrote:A skyblock server with flying ships:

http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/ships/
This plugin looks amazingly made and like very much fun, but doesn't it look like it's not the most user friendly thing in the world? Hard to introduce to new players.
Still, could work out great. I'd like to check out the servers that already have it at some point.
Pielo wrote:I have some questions and suggestions.
-How long would all the phases take together?
-I don't think the whole match will take that much time, so if you would add skillpoints I suggest players can spend them ingame.
-Also, when the match is done, I think it would be better to reset the skillpoints of the players.
-I would go for 3 teams, so if one team becomes to powerful, the other 2 teams can work together to restore the balance.
-It would be cool if there would be like outposts or holds with NPC's who defend it and a treasure hidden in the outpost.
The phases would probably together take... maybe around the time that a League game might take? It's really hard to judge at this point, but I'd say maybe 45 minutes to an hour and a half.
I like the idea of two teams because the more people on each team the better, but if there's enough people (like 80 people) it could definitely start being split into more teams.
Outposts would be interesting, but maybe they would be invincible until the war period, and at that point they were aggressive and attackable so that they were just like another team? Something like that.
dyl1138 wrote:Prebuilt outposts is a little op, especially when you consider the treasure.
Also, skill points would have to be given to each player at the beginning of the match and removed at the end, to keep a new player friendly environment. The time per match is intentional to accommodate for vxi's vision of heavily armored players assaulting a fortress. 3 teams would allow for teaming up against another, but any kind of damage negation between any of the 3 teams WILL NOT WORK OUT.
Yeah, I like the idea of skill points being given out, players choosing them at the beginning of the match and then all skill points being reset when it's finished so that players who know they'll be doing a certain job can just do it a little better. I like that :P
"And if you zoom in you can see they actually built something right there at the end of their travels. Awesome." -Avvatar
Pielo
Ultimate Yakslapper

Post by Pielo » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:49 am

I think it also would be cool if there is a reward system. So teams/players who have won before can claim a reward the next match, not too much but extra arrows for example or food at the start of the game. If this would work, there also could be tournaments with a ranking system, so the best teams will face each other in the end.
Jason_D_Black
Xfire: /

Post by Jason_D_Black » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:34 am

I have a suggestion, lower the prices. I mean, 2500 for one diamond is A LOT. I've been working for about a week now, killing mobs and people, and I can buy 2 diamonds now. -.- And also the option to "sell" almost everything, like iron ignot and gold ignot. That would be a lot iConomicer.
Kieraan
Slightly Bonkers

Post by Kieraan » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:18 pm

I made a good $1000 pretty quickly (1-2hours) sitting at my Factions spawner... Can't be that hard :P
"At any given time, the urge to sing "The lion sleeps tonight" is just a whim away. A whim away, a whim away, a whim away..."
dyl1138
Falling Down

Post by dyl1138 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:52 pm

Yeah if you want money, xp farm cave spiders, skeletons, or blazes. Cave spiders spawn more often due to their size, and skeletons/blazes give more money for killing them. Really if you're looking for the best in xp and money, you need a blaze spawner, some snowmen, and fire resistance potions. Prot. 1 diamond gear and a sharp 5 diamond sword doesn't hurt either.
What is crutch
Bison don't hurt me
Don't hurt me
No more
AccountNotFound

Post by AccountNotFound » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:21 am

vxi wrote:I love to picture giant medieval battle scenes like in LoTR with one castle being charged at by an army of diamond equipped players and being defended by players on the walls of the castle shooting down arrows, mines and traps being set off in the battlefield, watching soldiers explode. And then, as the battle progresses, soldiers building temporary bases over the hills to gather supplies and get ready for raids, blah blah blah.
I think that's what we'd all love to see in this game, but the problem with that (I believe) is that blocks are too weak, players are too strong, and people aren't online 24/7. Another thing, dying is a huge downfall, so nobody's ever going to charge at a wall covered in archers. People would rather wander to the back of the castle, snap a hole in the wall, pop an invisibility potion, snatch all the loot and book it alone.
Factions encourages players to build blocks of obsidian and live in them and to try to sneak their way into enemy bases to spawn kill them until they're too low health to keep the claimed land, etc. You know the drill.
If you had three large groups build bases, gather equipment and then fight each other down you'd have them running twice the distance as expected, build small groves deep underground or hidden in some hill, and then when it came time to fight people would take it slow and probably hide in or around their own base or enemy bases most of the time.
YES!! YES!! Of course, I've been thinking. medieval? Sure. How about classes? Like so:

Knight : Standard Soldier equipped with iron sword, iron chestplate and iron boots. Hat color: Red

Alchemist : Kind of like a demo in Hypixel's TF2 map. no sword, 2 Stacks of Instant Damage II splash potions, full leather armor. Hat Color: Blue?

Healer : A healer, Of course. no sword, 3 regen II potions and 2 stacks of Instant Health I splash potions. Hat Color:Green

Swordsman : Like the Knight, except he has an iron sword with power 2 and iron chestplate with projectile protection and iron boots. Also has one "tank" potion (aka strength potion) Hat Color:Blood Red

Archer : An archer. Equipped with bow and arrows. One Speed II potion, and 3 stacks of arrows. Full chainmail armor.

also, maybe pre-made Turrets? They could be mini castle towers. But I don't think so.
Re-supplies? Idk how to drop em down, or maybe its waaay too OP.

last, Victory Fireworks? I think it would be a Creeper Face matching the victor's color. Only ignited after one team wins.

Let me know your opinions :sunny:

P.S: DAH MUFFIN HAS RETURNED (lordmuffin :) )
dyl1138
Falling Down

Post by dyl1138 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:57 am

Having different classes with certain strengths and weaknesses is the idea, but a full kit of everything they need is a little op. maybe just the potions and one weak gold apple for food to start out? After all, they probably won't make it to the Nether. Then, at one of the phases, they are given bookshelves and a certain amount of xp (they'll have to mine the enchanting table materials for themselves) depending on their class for enchanting. This way, there's a lot more unpredictability as to exactly what each weapon and armor has. Enchanted books could be kept in hidden/protected chests, which means you'd need to spend most of your iron ingots on an anvil to use them. The time factor is really a good advantage, considering the sheer amount of time it takes to find diamond, mine obsidian, brew potions, etc.
What is crutch
Bison don't hurt me
Don't hurt me
No more
vxi
Knight of the Hokey Pokey
<b>Knight of the Hokey Pokey</b>

Post by vxi » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:20 pm

The idea of classes is good. Initially I thought skill points would work well, but thinking back on it, not everyone would realize what they were exactly for, wouldn't spend them well or as a team, or some people just wouldn't spend them at all. If there were 5 or 6 default classes that would give you multiple advantages depending on the class you chose, and maybe a limited number of each class so that not everyone would go the same class (like for example, if everyone could choose the same class you'd probably have a team of all alchemists or half healers and half alchemists).

Another idea. Perhaps when picking classes, each class is a kind of combined craft/combat class, where for the beginning phases before combat you get your crafting class and then as soon as combat starts you lose all of your crafting attributes and move on to combat.
The more powerful combat classes could be countered with a weaker crafting class, and vice versa.
For example, let's say when the game starts and the teams are made you choose the most powerful combat class, let's say you have full diamond armor and weapons. Before combat, you'd be pretty horrible at building and crafting. You would have a lower limit to blocks able to be placed, broken, etc. But then when it hit combat, you'd be able to defend that slightly weaker base with all that much more force. On the other hand, if you chose a weak class, one with an iron chest piece and wooden sword, you'd be one badass craftsman. You'd have high limits on placing and breaking, maybe you'd have double drop chance, maybe you'd be a good farmer, you get the idea.
So you'd have a team with some powerful and some weak crafters, and then you'd have a team with some powerful and some weak fighters.
This idea really changes what the original idea would be like, and would probably need a lot of extra work (for example, not being able to trade armor or potions with other players when it became PvP phase).

I also like the idea of enchanted books. Maybe there could be certain feats of strength that you could accomplish before PvP phase to get good items? For example, if you survive a fall of a certain height and then immediately start riding a pig (something that you wouldn't normally do but could theoretically set up without too much trouble) you could be awarded with an enchantment book that gives silk touch. And maybe you could have a certain class that could accomplish the feats, so while everyone was out building their base and farming, that player could be accomplishing feats of strength like killing 5 squid with the same breath of air underwater, falling through a block of lava and surviving, stuff like that. It would definitely be interesting, because certain experienced players who always chose that role would ask their team what enchantments they needed and immediately know what to do, run off into the forest and start... I don't know, punching creepers to death. You get the idea.
Anyone got a good idea for the name of a roll like that?

Anyway, these are all just ideas. I still love the initial picture of this gametype but I sure do find something to love in all of the ideas that are added to it.

If only I spent as much time and efforts on school essays as I do on writing about these ideas on the forums...
"And if you zoom in you can see they actually built something right there at the end of their travels. Awesome." -Avvatar
AccountNotFound

Post by AccountNotFound » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:31 pm

[quote="vxi"]The idea of classes is good. Initially I thought skill points would work well, but thinking back on it, not everyone would realize what they were exactly for, wouldn't spend them well or as a team, or some people just wouldn't spend them at all. If there were 5 or 6 default classes that would give you multiple advantages depending on the class you chose, and maybe a limited number of each class so that not everyone would go the same class (like for example, if everyone could choose the same class you'd probably have a team of all alchemists or half healers and half alchemists).

Another idea. Perhaps when picking classes, each class is a kind of combined craft/combat class, where for the beginning phases before combat you get your crafting class and then as soon as combat starts you lose all of your crafting attributes and move on to combat.
The more powerful combat classes could be countered with a weaker crafting class, and vice versa.
For example, let's say when the game starts and the teams are made you choose the most powerful combat class, let's say you have full diamond armor and weapons. Before combat, you'd be pretty horrible at building and crafting. You would have a lower limit to blocks able to be placed, broken, etc. But then when it hit combat, you'd be able to defend that slightly weaker base with all that much more force. On the other hand, if you chose a weak class, one with an iron chest piece and wooden sword, you'd be one badass craftsman. You'd have high limits on placing and breaking, maybe you'd have double drop chance, maybe you'd be a good farmer, you get the idea.
So you'd have a team with some powerful and some weak crafters, and then you'd have a team with some powerful and some weak fighters.
This idea really changes what the original idea would be like, and would probably need a lot of extra work (for example, not being able to trade armor or potions with other players when it became PvP phase).

I also like the idea of enchanted books. Maybe there could be certain feats of strength that you could accomplish before PvP phase to get good items? For example, if you survive a fall of a certain height and then immediately start riding a pig (something that you wouldn't normally do but could theoretically set up without too much trouble) you could be awarded with an enchantment book that gives silk touch. And maybe you could have a certain class that could accomplish the feats, so while everyone was out building their base and farming, that player could be accomplishing feats of strength like killing 5 squid with the same breath of air underwater, falling through a block of lava and surviving, stuff like that. It would definitely be interesting, because certain experienced players who always chose that role would ask their team what enchantments they needed and immediately know what to do, run off into the forest and start... I don't know, punching creepers to death. You get the idea.[quote="vxi"]

Yes, we would need to set limits so the teams wouldn't so OP that the match would be a stalemate. I've thought about the idea of a crafting "support" class. Here is my idea:

Smith : 3 stacks of wood, 3 furnaces, 1 Iron pickaxe with Fortune I (maybe not) chainmail boots one crafting table, some building materials and one stone sword.

Farmer : Iron hoe, wooden sword 2 stacks of seeds and 32 bonemeal.
Maybe some kind of poison splash.

I also got ideas for "Donator Only" classes. You know, to encourage players to donate.
My ideas:

Mage : full leather armor, dyed blue. Budder stick (aka blaze rod) with fire aspect 2 and knockback 1, 3 speed potions, and one poison splash potion and (maybe) 3 ender pearls. (?)

Rouge : leather armor, 2 "glass potions" (aka invisible potions) that last 8 min each. an iron sword with power 2 and some other enchantment. Maybe moves faster?

Spy : A novelty class. LOL. no use except spying. Idk what to do with this one. Suggestions?

Also, maybe some kind of ref, like an admin. I guess BUDDER ARMOR. (cause its fucking awesome) and a budder stick that shoots lightning. (to enforce rules)

maybe some kind of powertool command to make a squiddy wall (fuck dem squids)

that's all i have :P

DAH LORDMUFFIN
AccountNotFound

Post by AccountNotFound » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:37 pm

dyl1138 wrote:Having different classes with certain strengths and weaknesses is the idea, but a full kit of everything they need is a little op. maybe just the potions and one weak gold apple for food to start out? After all, they probably won't make it to the Nether. Then, at one of the phases, they are given bookshelves and a certain amount of xp (they'll have to mine the enchanting table materials for themselves) depending on their class for enchanting. This way, there's a lot more unpredictability as to exactly what each weapon and armor has. Enchanted books could be kept in hidden/protected chests, which means you'd need to spend most of your iron ingots on an anvil to use them. The time factor is really a good advantage, considering the sheer amount of time it takes to find diamond, mine obsidian, brew potions, etc.
Great job my friend. I've considered this and your right. I guess that my "Donator Classes" (as said in my post responding to vxi.) Such as Smiths could have an anvil on hand? (Maybe for traps later on) and uhm... WE NEED EASTER EGGS (untouchable budder block below max y axis, in plain sight but cannot be mined) (maybe a a dandelion(seal?) basicly mbaxter )