Server game mode ideas!

Discussion relating to Minecraft and Minecraft servers
mbaxter
Now With Added Calcium!
<b>Now With <font color=#00689c>Added Calcium!</font></b>

Re: Server game mode ideas!

Post by mbaxter » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:30 pm

Eviltechie wrote:you're going to need to cozy up to somebody famous to bring players to your server.
He means pay money. In the range of $3000 to $15000.
OddaJosh
I'm Tripping Out

Post by OddaJosh » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:55 pm

mbaxter wrote:
Eviltechie wrote:you're going to need to cozy up to somebody famous to bring players to your server.
He means pay money. In the range of $3000 to $15000.

Is that really how it works?
Grndslmhttr3 wrote:I don't know how you did it but I think you managed to become the worst poster on these forums
Platty wrote:But, yeah, have a fedora, too.
Eviltechie
Happiness Committee
<b>Happiness Committee</b>

Post by Eviltechie » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:03 pm

OddaJosh wrote:Is that really how it works?
Yes. There is a lot of money to be made in running a successful minecraft server. No doubt the person who brought you the fame is going to want to take their cut of it.
20:37 <@mbaxter> !crepe
20:37 <@creeper> mbaxter eats a delicious crepe. Suddenly, SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS *KABLOOEY*
20:37 -!- mbaxter was kicked from #minecraft by creeper [Creeper Crepe]
Snugglebear wrote:Not everyone has a conscience.
Avvatar wrote:Welcome to joe.to. Where the men are men, the women are ogled, the children are mocked and we're all assholes. Donate up top.
01:35 <@TheNewt> the game ends when everyone quits

Tony Wong
Some Asian Guy

Post by Tony Wong » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:57 am

Here's a crazy idea that I came up with playing with some friends over LAN mode: GRIFF SERVER!

Make a small map that's creative for a like a month, then change it to survival at the end of the month and LET PEOPLE GRIEF THE HECK out of it! Keep the Dynamic Map on throughout the whole thing, as this will build interest during the build phase, and act as a radar of sorts during destruction phase (nowhere to hide!)

Builders will be notified that this is a build/destroy server, so it's probably best not to build anything too ornate or beautiful, as the point is to wreck it later. It's kind of like building sand castles just to destroy them. People who pop on the servers just to break stuff will look forward to the end of the month, say a weekend(Friday, Saturday, Sunday). They will also check in regularly to scope out stuff they want to break. After the dust settles, the map is reset back to pristine order, before any building took place.

Here's where the fun begins: People basically create their own survival server! They can build their own fortresses, fill their chests with their own inventory (weapons, armor, potions), and set their own spawn points (via beds). They could create escape routes through the nether, underground bases, sky forts, or just plain weird structures and landscapes to explore. Traps, treasure troves, mob dungeons: the possibilities are endless.

There could even be a theme to the build each month (medieval, wild west, etc.), although people really can build whatever they want. Of course, admins would have to limit mobs and item usage discreetly (no ender dragons or withers, at least in the beginning. However, could have Armageddon unleashed on the last day LOL!). But besides that, we should see some VERY interesting maps... :D

There would be a safe spawn point and safe zone for those whose beds are destroyed, or are just logging in. Admins could kill off those who are ruining the fun with impunity, and bolts of lightning (spawn campers, exploiters, OP players, etc).

Like PvP? Have at it all weekend on the Weekend of Destruction!
Like building cool stuff and people checking them out in detail? Build a maze/dungeon/castle and watch it's population rise (and fall) in glory and destruction!
Like exploring? There's much to see and do (and destroy) here!
Like Role Playing? Build a town and watch it get raided, or defend your sky ship from marauders with 1x1 dirt towers! Just... don't chat while you're getting attacked. /me says AAAAAARRRRGGGGHHH!!!
Hate crafties? Here's your chance to break their stuff! :awesome:
All in all, there's fun to be had for EVERYBODY. B)

The only issue would be TNT lag. My PC was pegged at 100% CPU usage when we set off like 10,000 TNT at once, slowed it to a crawl, even with 32GBs of RAM and 6 cores @ 4.17Ghz :sadasfuck: Maybe limit amount of TNT that can exist at one point? Or give users 5-10 TNT to use at a time (explodes automatically or is not dropped upon death, so as not to accumulate)? Users can pool their TNT together, but there would be a max limit of players on the server, to limit TNT usage. Also would give another incentive to be a donor, as they get first chance at reserved slots! :p

This idea is ripe with possibilities: kills/deaths counters, a shop that sells equipment for heads, 2 sided faction battles: the more ideas the better... within reason and technical capability.

I really enjoyed hosting a simple version of this kind of server on my PC for a few nights, we had a blast. I'm sure you guys here at J2 can figure out ways to do it much more efficiently than I can...

Wow, it's like 2AM. I need sleep... I'll shut up now. :bonk:
FEESHSTEEKS!!!
Sanvich Hoovy

Post by Sanvich Hoovy » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:53 am

TobyLeong wrote: The only issue would be TNT lag. My PC was pegged at 100% CPU usage when we set off like 10,000 TNT at once, slowed it to a crawl, even with 32GBs of RAM and 6 cores @ 4.17Ghz :sadasfuck: Maybe limit amount of TNT that can exist at one point? Or give users 5-10 TNT to use at a time (explodes automatically or is not dropped upon death, so as not to accumulate)? Users can pool their TNT together, but there would be a max limit of players on the server, to limit TNT usage.
I do believe tnt is removed from the server by default.

Otherwise this is a really cool idea, but it might end up like 3 kingdoms, where there are next to no people when it's time to fight and like 5 people end up doing everything
My therapist told me that I gamble in order to escape from the realities of life and I replied that's why everyone does everything. - Norm MacDonald

marlies190401

Post by marlies190401 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:08 am

You should do something like minigames, like Splegg =D
dizzydyl9876

Post by dizzydyl9876 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:56 am

Chset shop
I think this would go great for role-playing = try and build your own business wither it be a pub? Restaurant? or even a Luxury Hotel

http://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins/chestshop/
--------------------------------------
Ready to get Dizzy

I Have built 2 city's witch was destroyed in the update of 1.8 and1.9

I am now on a mission to build an empire!

Building towers :)

Creatinads other ad enter map (dizzy adventure 1.2) available Xmas 2013

Hope to have avalible to download by 01-12-2012 ...... 09-08-2012 :)
RideTheWalrus
Butts.
<font color=#FF80BF><b><i>Butts.</i></b></font>

Post by RideTheWalrus » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:55 am

With the upcoming 1.7 update, there is a new item; the clownfish.

I suggest a "Finding Nemo" game type. Essentially putting a clownfish named Nemo in a picture frame on a map, and challenging players to find him.

Alternatively, you could just have them fish until they get a clownfish. They're pretty uncommon.
PaulPer

Post by PaulPer » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:20 pm

RideTheWalrus wrote:With the upcoming 1.7 update, there is a new item; the clownfish.

I suggest a "Finding Nemo" game type. Essentially putting a clownfish named Nemo in a picture frame on a map, and challenging players to find him.
sounds alot like 'hide and go gortume' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E_nNQZNp8E
an item is hidden and everyone but 1 person has to find it in the map
everyone is in f1 mode and the hunter has to hunt down and kill the unarmed seekers before they find the item the hunter has hidden

seekers win if one of them finds it, hunter wins if they kill all the seekers
Rayray25849

Post by Rayray25849 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:47 pm

Large minigames that may possibly have their own plugins are very popular. Gun games, zombie apocalypses, capture the flag, etc. Either that or modpacks such as FTB may make the servers a bit more active. (I know that that idea has been turned down many times, I'm just saying that it's probably a popular choice right now.)
vxi
Knight of the Hokey Pokey
<b>Knight of the Hokey Pokey</b>

Post by vxi » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:57 pm

Anyone seen the Dwarven Delight plugin?
I just stumbled upon it, but apparently it's dead. I thought it would be interesting if one of our more code-savvy admins could do something with it, because it looks like mountains of fun.
I'll make another post if I find an active variation of it which is actually alive.
"And if you zoom in you can see they actually built something right there at the end of their travels. Awesome." -Avvatar
Jason_D_Black
Xfire: /

Post by Jason_D_Black » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:20 pm

What about this?

There are three main kingdoms (just like 3 kingdoms) but they aren't in war at the start. A player can choose or is automaticly placed in a kingdom from the start. He can choose between a few jobs such as:
-Miner
-Guard
-Woodcutter
-Blacksmith (weapons and armors and can repair enchanted gear)
-wich/wizard (for brewing potions and enchanting but they can't repair weapons or armor)
Every kingdom has it's king or queen, admins probably. You could also take one or two advisers. Every player can only build and destroy in their own kingdoms, and if, by chance, there is a player that griefs a house or wall, or kills someone, the guards can capture him and lock him up in the cells. (trace command for when a block is griefed to see who had done it, a bit like tracking someone down)

Now, players would probably think this is boring because you are restricted to a kingdom. But, if you would have a minimum of 5 persons who you trust and who cooperate, you can form a band of settlers who make their own group and build a village outside the kingdom territory and make their own territory where only they can build and destroy. There they can grow up their own village with the faction plugin. Now because of this you might start thinking "and then there will be no one left in the kingdom". First let me explain how I want to make settling work.
1. Free settlers: 5 minimum players who search for a spot outside the 3 kingdoms territory and build a village. However, they are very fragile and are easily killed and destroyed since they aren't under protection of any of the tree kingdoms. (so this is really hard to do if a kingdom finds your village and wants to be hostile against it)
2. Squire settlers: 5 minimum settlers who can make a village outside the territory or inside the territory of the kingdom which gave them the right to settle. They will be under protection of the kingdom which makes it easier for them to survive. Guards can be deployed to protect the village till they can protect themselves. Most of the time these villages will have to pay a fee for their protection and territory.

The rules for attacking/defending a kingdom:

- First of all, both kings must meet up to form an agreement of war. (the two factions will become enemy)
- Second, before an attack can start you'll have to make a small camp in front of the castle, with the kingdoms flag in the middle of the camp. This camp must be in sight of the kingdom on normal view
- An attack of a kingdom on a village or castle can only happen when minimum 5 guards are online. You can build the camp beforehand, but you can only start attacking when those 5 are on.
- The attack is won when the king gives up or dies.
- The defence is won when all attackers died once, if a player died in the attack, he can't walk back to the kingdom to try a second time.
- Using tnt is allowed!

Rules of creating a castle:
- No unrealistic bases (flying/underwater/on trees)
- Obsidian is allowed for the walls, but you'll always need an exit/entrance point (a gate)
- Needs a housing for the king, for meetings and for protection. This building has to stand out and be somewhere in the castle

Building territory levels and requirements to level:
-Settling: minimum 5 players and 3 houses. No walls/gate or manor. |gain 100 coins a week|
-town: Minimum 5 players and 5 houses, blacksmith/mine/woodcutting |gain 200 coins a week|
-Village: Minimum 8 players and 8 houses, Manor and walls (No unrealistic blocks like sheep fur) |gain 350 coins a week|
-Castle: Minimum 12 players and 12 houses, Enchanting place and brewing place. |gain 500 coins a week|

With the coins (Iconomic plugin) you can trade and buy from other kingdoms or ally, or you the server can make a general neutral shop where everyone can buy. We had that before, one you could teleport to.

I think something like that would be awesome if we would have the decent amount of active players like we used to. If you see anything wrong with it which can easily be abused or something, let me know :). I was also thinking about the Ender and rules for it, but I haven't tought that far yet. Hope you like it a bit
vxi

Post by vxi » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:45 pm

^

Sounds like a strange cross between Towny, Factions and Three Kingdoms.
The main problem with this idea is that it requires quite a few players to work, and you know how J2 Minecraft works.
Jason_D_Black wrote:I was also thinking about the Ender and rules for it, but I haven't tought that far yet.
I usually like the idea of having the End being used for something else like the spawn, some otherworldly teleportation dimension, a world to make bank vaults in, something like that which doesn't interact with the mechanics of the actual gametype.

Overall, seems like a pretty good idea if we had a huge community willing to get online daily.
"And if you zoom in you can see they actually built something right there at the end of their travels. Awesome." -Avvatar
Jason_D_Black
Xfire: /

Post by Jason_D_Black » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:33 am

We had a really huge community... once, enough to make a game mode like this happen. Maybe if we would advertise on minecraft forums we get our larger community back.
vxi

Post by vxi » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:46 am

Maybe if there was some compelling force in PvE that made you get online every day or you'd lose your base.
In the shower this morning I came up with this idea, which I think sounds like fun:
It's pretty simple, a cross between PvE and PvP. It would be mostly vanilla, but the changes would be that once a day or two, there would be a 10-15 minute period where the entire server would go from being PvE to PvP. The period of time would be scheduled to maybe be in the same 2 or 3 hours each day, but when in those hours would be random.
The way this would work would be that we would use the GriefProtection zones like we used in the last PvE so that players can protect their areas, players would be protected from PvP, scamming and such would be against the rules, but when one of these periods came on all the rules would be gone, the zones would disappear, PvP would be enabled, etc.
This would encourage players to form groups (so that they could raid and defend better and simultaneously), get online (to defend or raid), build strategically, etc.
Anyway, like I said I came up with it in the shower while thinking about many other things, so if anyone has anything to add to that idea... Yeah, that would be cool :>