Server game mode ideas!

Discussion relating to Minecraft and Minecraft servers
vxi
Knight of the Hokey Pokey
<b>Knight of the Hokey Pokey</b>

Re: Server game mode ideas!

Post by vxi » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:12 pm

I'd hate it if there were preset maps, players would eventually know where all the good resources lie and it would give certain teams an unfair advantage.
Also, I don't think we need to be thinking of exactly what all of the classes could be right now and I think it's better if the classes stay a little more flexible.
And, my idea about having combat/craft classes was that every combat class would have a specific craft class attached to it.
For example, the choices could be something like:
........Alpha >Peasant/Warlord (Rank 1 crafter, rank 4 fighter)<.................................................................
........Beta >Wallbuilder/Knight (Rank 2 crafter, rank 3 fighter)<..............Choose one of these four..............
........Gamma >Castlebuilder/Militia (Rank 3 crafter, rank 2 fighter)<............................................................
........Delta >Architect/Private (Rank 4 crafter, rank 1 fighter)<....................................
Also, classes shouldn't give the whole team a bunch of starting materials, or almost none at all, for that matter. The whole idea of it is that you have to gather your own materials in time. Classes should just give minor perks that would let players who like to focus on certain aspects of fighting or crafting bonuses that could help them out with it, rather than force players to try to decide which class would be the most powerful. A builder should be comfortable going with the builder class because he knows it will help him out rather than trying to choose from a list of godly classes that if he doesn't choose the right one he'll be screwed.
"And if you zoom in you can see they actually built something right there at the end of their travels. Awesome." -Avvatar
jackham8
Ham_Bond

Post by jackham8 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:03 pm

Can you please do the autopromote?
jojobinks109

Post by jojobinks109 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:00 pm

Good old mc4. Everything after mc4 was taken down have not been as enjoyable as old mc4 was. Besides the first factions mc1 and of course mc2.
otty795

Post by otty795 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:10 pm

I second this idea because Mc4 was one of the best servers ever.
Eviltechie
Happiness Committee
<b>Happiness Committee</b>

Post by Eviltechie » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:05 am

jojobinks109 wrote:Good old mc4. Everything after mc4 was taken down have not been as enjoyable as old mc4 was. Besides the first factions mc1 and of course mc2.
If you can tell me how to run mc4 such that people would play on it, I'm all for it. It was an incredibly easy server to run due to the lack of rules. I'm not convinced though that people would play on just a plain PvP server.
20:37 <@mbaxter> !crepe
20:37 <@creeper> mbaxter eats a delicious crepe. Suddenly, SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS *KABLOOEY*
20:37 -!- mbaxter was kicked from #minecraft by creeper [Creeper Crepe]
Snugglebear wrote:Not everyone has a conscience.
Avvatar wrote:Welcome to joe.to. Where the men are men, the women are ogled, the children are mocked and we're all assholes. Donate up top.
01:35 <@TheNewt> the game ends when everyone quits

otty795

Post by otty795 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:13 am

http://minecraft-server-list.com/filter ... ry=#browse

That link is some of the top pvp / vanilla / hardcore survival servers and I think they have a pretty good amount of players on them at the moment.
Jason_D_Black
Xfire: /

Post by Jason_D_Black » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:16 am

I suggest a RPG minecraft server. A land with a story, kingdoms with backgrounds and heroes, villains and rebellions. With a profile skeleton and races and guilds (factions) like pirates, assassins, hunters, etc. Just saying that it would be cool, and I believe some of you also think it's cool to have a role play server. By the way, this makes it possible that more people can be involved in the server for example: Writers, who can write backgrounds of kingdoms, races, guilds, etc. ; Builders who can build the server's kingdoms, outposts, ruins, etc. .

And we could also make it hardcore, so that if your character dies you'll have to make a new character and start all over again. Tough, would be dumb if you suddenly fall in lava or something... but still it makes it more realistic. Who's with me?! :)
vxi

Post by vxi » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:29 pm

I don't know if that many people would actually play an RPG server.
Joe's Minecraft community isn't huge, that's why it's difficult to do even the simplest gamemodes, like mc3 and mc4.
Also, this idea reeks of 10 year olds roleplaying as ninjas, assassins and rebels and just trying to kill everyone they come across, and stuff like that.
The majority of people who joined probably wouldn't want to take their time learning anything about the history of the world, or about the kingdoms, heroes, etc., they'd probably just want to make their mark by going out and doing something 'impressive' and then, after building a big ugly house, leaving the server forever.
I do like the hardcore idea, so if your roleplay character dies then your new character is different, like in Dungeons and Dragons.
It's a good idea in theory, if we had a community of 100 mature, well-behaved people, but we don't, sadly.
"And if you zoom in you can see they actually built something right there at the end of their travels. Awesome." -Avvatar
Jason_D_Black

Post by Jason_D_Black » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:56 am

Well, I came up with it because first of all, I believe it's better than the three kingdoms, and second, in the three kingdoms there are people rp'ing. Not many though, some of our people hate it that they do that cause... well because it sounds retarded. If we could make a server where everyone has his own thing, where everyone has what he wants to have, for example:

A server with 2 or more sides, like the 'rulers' and the 'rebellions'. People could choose which side they take. Are they going to rp and make there character with the rulers, or are they going to join the rebellions? In these 2 great factions, you can rp what you want, about whatever you want so that the people who indeed like this method of gaming, can do this.

But, for thé who hate or think rp'ing is ridiculous, can make a faction outside the two greater factions. Still, they have the choice to join one of the two sides, or they can go on there own like it was before the 3 kingdoms. They can start their own faction and do whatever they want. BUT, to also make it interesting for them, they need to hide for the rulers and rebellions, since they didn't pick any of the two sides, the greater 2 factions can do what they want. They can go there and rp if they want to join them, if the smaller faction says no, they can choose between seeing them as an enemy, or as a neutral being. Then we can also make it hardcore for the players who indeed made there character and want to rp to make it more realistic for them, the others who didn't want to rp and still have a faction don't have to play hardcore, it's there own choice.

Something like that, maybe it's hard to play hardcore for the rp'ers and softcore for the regular players at the same time, but that all depends on the rp'er himself. If he dies vs a skeleton he could say that he was just hurt badly but if he dies vs a player we should still decide if he can say that he survived it, or that he has to start his character again. And if we decide for the last part we could say that if he doesn't changes his character but he got killed he can get banned from the server for starting a roleplay game while at the same time not following the rules of roleplaying.

With other words, if you get 2 different set of rules, those who chose to roleplay in the beginning and those who chose to play regular faction based game. To combine these two together you could say that the Roleplayers can view the regular players as NPC's or if they really want, as someone who's some sort of immortal or something... :p
Eviltechie
Happiness Committee
<b>Happiness Committee</b>

Post by Eviltechie » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:36 pm

This sounds like a good task for towny.
20:37 <@mbaxter> !crepe
20:37 <@creeper> mbaxter eats a delicious crepe. Suddenly, SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS *KABLOOEY*
20:37 -!- mbaxter was kicked from #minecraft by creeper [Creeper Crepe]
Snugglebear wrote:Not everyone has a conscience.
Avvatar wrote:Welcome to joe.to. Where the men are men, the women are ogled, the children are mocked and we're all assholes. Donate up top.
01:35 <@TheNewt> the game ends when everyone quits

vxi

Post by vxi » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:21 am

If it's going to be an RP server I'd prefer that the characters would be dead when they died, simple as that, with maybe the exception of coming back from the dead as a being of evil.
Also, I'm starting to like this idea, but I prefer two large factions like the kingdom and the rebellious, rather than anyone being able to make their own faction.
Maybe the kingdom would start with a large castle (built before the server went online by admins) and with a bunch of resources, and farms, etc., and the rebellious started with outposts in the forest, in the mountains, etc., with lots of resources like leather, and lots of loot from raids.
Another idea for this would maybe be to have a third faction that are the farmers/peasants for the kingdom? So, like people who have their bases outside of the kingdom walls but who are protected by the kingdom and supply the kingdom with resources such as food and minerals, while the people who were in the kingdom itself would be builders, knights, etc. Just an idea.
Also it might be interesting to have it so that every time you die you get kicked out of your current faction and you rejoin the one with the least people (like in 3 kingdoms, except every time you die) so that you have a chance to try out the different sides without having to be a traitor. And maybe the king of the kingdom would be able to be reelected every week or so.
Anyway, roleplaying really isn't hard. You don't even have to have an advanced character or anything, you can really just be yourself. So, to those who say they can't roleplay, grow up. You can roleplay.
Jason_D_Black

Post by Jason_D_Black » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:42 am

I don't know, the farmers faction sounds like it's going to be not popular... And I added the normal faction system to the server because not everyone likes to rp, there are even, and I think it's a lot of people, who hate the idea of rp'ing. And to give them more freedom and what they want, I didn't find a better option than letting them be able to make there own faction. Although, then there might be a problem if no one wants to join the kingdom or rebellion and everyone wants to make there own faction. =/
vxi

Post by vxi » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:38 am

Jason_D_Black wrote:Although, then there might be a problem if no one wants to join the kingdom or rebellion and everyone wants to make there own faction. =/
That's what I was thinking.
Also, like I said, RPing isn't all about acting and crap, you can "RP" just by being yourself as long as you don't say something like "brb washroom".
So rather than saying "RP ONLY SERVER" it might be a good idea to say "Themed" or something.

And with the joining the faction with least people automatically, it wouldn't matter if a faction was popular XP
Jason_D_Black

Post by Jason_D_Black » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:04 pm

Then there is also the problem which is that we won't have enough people for it to have a decently going 'rp themed' server for the rebellion side and the kingdom side. I believe the popularity of the joe server has been going down day by day when faction server became boring. It became even worse when faction server went gone and the three kingdoms came online. Most of the time there are only 3 people on, max 6 min 0... So maybe everyone will come back to try out this new idea, or maybe they don't like it and stay away. Either way, I think with everyone from the faction servers back we probably wouldn't have enough people either.

PS: Why is it that under your sig you have the sentence 'Last edited by mbaxter on Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:02 pm, edited 1 times in total.' ?
vxi

Post by vxi » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:17 pm

Jason_D_Black wrote:Then there is also the problem which is that we won't have enough people for it to have a decently going 'rp themed' server for the rebellion side and the kingdom side. I believe the popularity of the joe server has been going down day by day when faction server became boring. It became even worse when faction server went gone and the three kingdoms came online. Most of the time there are only 3 people on, max 6 min 0... So maybe everyone will come back to try out this new idea, or maybe they don't like it and stay away. Either way, I think with everyone from the faction servers back we probably wouldn't have enough people either.
The popularity of the Minecraft servers has been declining in general because of the lack of mature players, partly. It didn't just start when factions went down.
Anyway, it looks like mc3 might be coming back for a while, which makes me yippee~!