Play Path of Exile with us this weekend!

Appears on http://www.joe.to. Gaming news or community information.
knoid
            Mostly Ornamental
            <b><font color=#556b2f>Mostly Ornamental</font></b>

Play Path of Exile with us this weekend!

Post by knoid » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:41 pm

Path of Exile - an upcoming online action RPG (which apparently is not the same as an MMORPG - what?) currently in closed beta - is having an open access event this weekend as a way to stress test their servers.

Once they're out of beta, the game will be free to play. That's right, people - FREE, as in gratis (and as in beer that you don't have to pay for).

Looks interesting, I plan on giving it a whirl. According to joe, "its really good" - so we may even see him on there :). The game client should be up for download on Friday. Probably.

Linky
Cc_Hairy wrote:my favorite part:

fart life may cause less gross suffering than some other evils; but spooge, being more universal fart more subtle, pain. fart remedy lies, indeed, partly fart charity,
Ikri

Re: Play Path of Exile with us this weekend!

Post by Ikri » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:01 pm

Woo! Looks a bit bloody but I'll give it a shot.

Perhaps we should set up an event time and a mumble channel?
Avvatar
Veni. Legi. Docuit, inportuna.

Post by Avvatar » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:27 pm

Looks interesting. Yes to Mumble. No to a set time. Stop trying to discourage people from playing all day.
MrBlip
It was inevitable.

Post by MrBlip » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:10 pm

Holy shit that skill tree.
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/

Now THAT'S how you do a skill tree.
9:18 PM - mrblip: im allowed to have my own opinions
9:19 PM - Dr. Doctorpus: no youre not
Avvatar
Veni. Legi. Docuit, inportuna.

Post by Avvatar » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:29 pm

Oh sweet jesus it scrolls.
dantesus

Post by dantesus » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:41 pm

The skill tree represents all of the classes on one page, but picking a class sets you on a certain part of the tree. I also recommend reading up on 'skill gems', they are a major part of skills.

http://www.pathofexile.com/skills
MrBlip wrote:WELCOME TO THE HOTEL JOE TO
MrBlip
It was inevitable.

Post by MrBlip » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:44 pm

Yeah. And your starting class changes where you start on the board. Fuck you dante

From looking around on the site, here's what I figured:
9:18 PM - mrblip: im allowed to have my own opinions
9:19 PM - Dr. Doctorpus: no youre not
narwal
Praise the 2D Booty

Post by narwal » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:06 pm

Neato torpedeo! Looks like a fun game, I'll pitch in for some of this.
¡Viva Los Unban Threads!
PSN: IAMQuetzalcoatl // Steam: daruma.j2 // Add me and we'll play some games! ^_^
Adrian
angelheaded hipsters burning
<font color=#3f7fff>angelheaded hipsters burning</font>

Post by Adrian » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:18 pm

This looks horrid. Downloading.
:sadcad:
So um yeah.
http://www.last.fm/user/adrian24six
tehENEMY -never post again.
Jason
TODAY IS SUNDAY
<font color=#c032e3><b>TODAY IS SUNDAY</b></font>
Xfire: Jasopiate

Post by Jason » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:13 pm

Coooool. I'm going to a show Saturday night and I have shitty 12-8 shifts on Friday and Sunday but i'll probably download this and try and jump in at points.
MindFlayer wrote:THIS IS THE FUCKING MAN'S THREAD, NO ONE ASKED ABOUT YOUR GODDAMN LABIA.
a1dan wrote:I came here for the gay sex and all I got was gay sax.
OfLoathing

Post by OfLoathing » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:52 am

Okay, so I played this game for a couple of hours today to get a general impression of it. It's not bad, and for a price tag of zero, it's definitely going to be great on final release for a free-to-play game. Game looks quite nice, except that the point of view is currently very close. This leaves an extremely short field of vision that I don't really like.

Overall, just like it's Diablo clones before it, this game is so much like Titan's Quest, Sacred.

At first - the skill tree was both impressive and intimidating. This tree attracted me to the game more than any of its other features, so I really wanted to figure out how it works. Now that I have a better idea after going through the forums and playing a bit - I don't particularly like it. It really ends up limiting your characters development more than it expands it.

In the end, it's no different than any game with a unique skill tree for each class, since what you're left with is one to three different choices you can make with each class. You're certainly free to do other things with the class if you really wanted to, but based on the arrangement of the classes on the skill tree - there's really only those few options that work. That is, unless you count choosing to increase damage in swords rather than axes to be a completely different build (I do not) - you're really not going to end up having all that much freedom in designing your character. Plus, the similarities of the common skills all blur the lines so drastically that even though you can definitely tell the differences between two character builds - you're not really going to see much difference in the gameplay beyond melee tank/ melee DPS/ archer/ spellcaster. There are a couple interesting builds within the tree - like making an Avatar of Fire Templar - which converts all his physical damage to fire damage or a Witch based around Chaos Inoculation (which makes your maximum life 1 but allowing you to rely on an enhanced energy shield) and Pain attunement which increases your spell damage by 25% whenever you have low life - which is always. But, in the end, there's so little of this that there's just not much to maintain interest.

Also, there are so few dynamic skills. The vast majority of the skills are so dull and static - like just adding a flare to your swing, or shooting out yet another colorful bolt - that it really makes combat feel exceptionally stationary.

Unless it adds some interesting skills, an amazing storyline, or ends up with some really interesting PVP mechanism - I don't particularly recommend this game. I give it a 6 - because while it is slightly better than your average game, everything is does is just meh.
a1dan
Chills. Shoots Darts.

Post by a1dan » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:35 pm

Looks pretty bad, but I'll give it a shot.
ImageImageImageImage
Jason wrote:Can't wait to fall in love with a beautiful young man
Jason wrote:Like if I successfully hook up with this guy amazing shit could HAPPEN
Help me get more dropbox space!
KoD
KoD [@at] joe . to
<b>KoD</b> <i>[@at]</i> <u>joe</u> . to

Post by KoD » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:18 pm