Steam coming to Linux

Appears on http://www.joe.to. Gaming news or community information.
Pentagram.J2

Steam coming to Linux

Post by Pentagram.J2 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:27 pm

http://www.destructoid.com/steam-headed ... 6481.phtml
Larabel seems suitably impressed with what Valve have working right now, including seeing Left 4 Dead 2 running on the Linux OS Ubuntu: "I am still struck by just how interested Valve is in Linux as a platform; it is certainly beyond my original expectations. This Linux work just is not some half-assed attempt by them to make it look like they are a Linux-friendly organization."
yay, moar steam peeps
Last edited by Pentagram.J2 on Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The flow if time is always cruel. Its speed seems different for each person, but no one can change it..."

"The wind......it is blowing...."
Wolsk
Im hungry, i need a fur burger
<font color=blue>Im hungry, i need a fur burger</font>

Re: Steam coming to Linux

Post by Wolsk » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:21 pm

Play TF2 on Linux and get a free penguin hat.
Velp

Post by Velp » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:13 am

penguin hat on heavy :D
mbaxter wrote:David tennant makes everything better
Neelpos wrote:Because maybe if my post count is high enough everyone will love me, golly
Haymakers9th

Post by Haymakers9th » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:33 am

ah I feel like a princess right now.

especially with the humble bundles lately, there are actually a lot of games on Steam that already have Linux versions. I put this up on Reddit a while back:

and the list has only grown since then.

When this is released, Source games and everything, I don't think I'll be booting into Windows very much at all from then on.

Also, did you see Torchlight II is up for pre-order? I remember the devs talking about wanting to do a Linux version for the original... depending on what releases first, I wonder if T2 will release with Linux support.

also, here's a nice IRC chat for more about it:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=37265948

my favorite:
<michaellarabel> Gabe was bashing Windows harder than I even do normally..... hell I'm trying out Windows 8 soon as I get back to my office as I want to see if it's as bad as he says
Last edited by Haymakers9th on Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steam
GW2: Haymaker.8924 (Tinthundered, Encoelia)
stickbeast wrote: However many dicks she can manage to fit in her mouth in a year really isn't any of your business and you shouldn't judge her for it.
japanimater

Post by japanimater » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:46 am

Is it possible to install Linux without having to reformat a hardrive?
I'm not racist, I hate everyone equally. What makes you so damn special?!
"I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it". -Alien vs. Predator
Haymakers9th

Post by Haymakers9th » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:50 am

japanimater wrote:Is it possible to install Linux without having to reformat a hardrive?
yes, it comes with a tool that will let you downsize your windows NTFS partition to make room for a linux installation.

It's also posible to just install it alongside windows (with Ubuntu it is at least) without doing any partition work, but you sacrifice a little bit of performance for it and uhhh if I remember correctly you can't suspend like you can on a normal installation.

Ubuntu tends to try to copy all of your music/media stuff to your Linux half, I would opt out of that because Linux can read Windows' NTFS drive so you can just play it from there in Linux, but you can't read the linux half while you're in Windows cause Explorer doesn't like the filesystem linux distos use by default.
Steam
stickbeast wrote: However many dicks she can manage to fit in her mouth in a year really isn't any of your business and you shouldn't judge her for it.
dantesus

Post by dantesus » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:21 am

You can also install a bootable Linux on a flash drive. It's pretty awesome ^_^
MrBlip wrote:WELCOME TO THE HOTEL JOE TO
Django
Bow down to your King!
<font color=black><i>Bow down to your King!</i></font>

Post by Django » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:30 am

nerds
"Dream, Django, but dream with your eyes open."
Haymakers9th

Post by Haymakers9th » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:34 am

whatever dude, at least I have my Wobbly windows and desktop cu-

realizes he is running Cinnamon on Mint and no longer has his favorite Compiz effects

oh
Steam
nightmare 101
thread killer, post spawner
thread killer, post spawner

Post by nightmare 101 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:17 am

Valve.

Ubuntu.

They have my attention, tenfold.
In some other time and space, I found time for a new signature.
Velp

Post by Velp » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:26 pm

What if they are going to be making a console and it well run Linux?
mbaxter wrote:David tennant makes everything better
Neelpos wrote:Because maybe if my post count is high enough everyone will love me, golly
mbaxter
Now With Added Calcium!
<b>Now With <font color=#00689c>Added Calcium!</font></b>

Post by mbaxter » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:45 pm

Velp wrote:What if they are going to be making a console and it well run Linux?
Then I'd be really really really really really really really excited.
scobywhru
Xfire: scobywhru

Post by scobywhru » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:53 pm

I dislike Ubuntu on my desktop too much background fiddling that I don't want or need on Ubuntu's part. Good thing there are hundreds of other linux distros to choose from I just hope Steam actually supports more then a few.

There is a windows ext format reader but I don't believe it has made it to windows 7 proper due to driver signing but you can enable it by booting windows with driver signing disable.
Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy wrote:He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.
Haymakers9th

Post by Haymakers9th » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:51 pm

scobywhru wrote:There is a windows ext format reader but I don't believe it has made it to windows 7 proper due to driver signing but you can enable it by booting windows with driver signing disable.

If I remember right, it only pretty much listed the drives in Explorer but you didn't get read access, or is that what happens with the driver signing issue? Also, figures MS wouldn't sign an EXT reader BASTARDS!
scobywhru wrote:I dislike Ubuntu [...] Good thing there are hundreds of other linux distros to choose from [...]
Have you tried Mint? It's based on Ubuntu so anything that would work on Ubuntu will work on Mint.
Steam
scobywhru
Xfire: scobywhru

Post by scobywhru » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:10 pm

Driver signing costs money. I prefer Debian the father of Ubuntu rather then a derivative, it also has the benefit of being a bit more reliable in terms of stability and update schedule. It is also more hands on in term of configuration which I like so I can tweak it how I like rather then undo the tweaks then do what I want.
Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy wrote:He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.