Help creating a TFC mod

Portal, Left 4 Dead, Half Life. All those good games.
aabicus

Help creating a TFC mod

Post by aabicus » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:33 pm

Hello, I'm new to modding, but I would like some help modding on Team Fortress Classic.

I'll start with the simplest steps, and if I can successfully understand your instructions to fix those, I'll ask more complicated ones.

I've been trying to follow the steps laid out at this url. I've downloaded ripent but it crashes immediately upon startup. I think it might be because my computer uses Windows 7. Does ripent (or BSPEdit) have problems with Windows 7?
Joejoe347

Re: Help creating a TFC mod

Post by Joejoe347 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:27 pm

I don't know much about source modding in general but I would like to know why you are starting with TFC and not a more recent and played game?
Mozart, dope for the most part.
-Insane Clown Posee

I AM THE MOJOE!!!
Ian7
【=◈︿◈=】

Post by Ian7 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:47 pm

Joejoe347 wrote:I don't know much about source modding in general but I would like to know why you are starting with TFC and not a more recent and played game?
Probably because its simpler. And easier to learn.
duh
mbaxter wrote:Loaf was banned by rottencheeseCA for one minute, for reason "fuck"
Canonuluvx wrote:This article is very well written Geese and ducks can be used very much.
Follow me on the twit:@ian7j2
aabicus

Post by aabicus » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:11 am

Basically, yeah. An old multiplayer, plus I have several friends who enjoy the game so I can use them as testers.

In about an hour I'll be home and can try my desktop, its possible my laptop doesn't have the resources to run these programs.
aabicus

Post by aabicus » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:45 am

It's not working :( In both cases when I run ripent.exe it flashes a DOS-command line which instantly shuts down.

Under the "General Purpose Info - Using Ripent" header on the page I'm using for guidance, it mentions a possiblee fix to ripent 'blinking.' I don't know if that's what my ripent is doing, but the suggested fix didn't work.

That's assuming I did it right. Here were my steps:

1. Download ripent along with everything in the file from http://zhlt.info
2. Download the map I wanted to edit (in this case pdh_r from http://www.filefactory.org/index.php?ga ... category=2)
3. Put pdh_r.bsp and ripent.exe in the same folder on my desktop.
4. Added a new file called command.bat (because it didn't specify what kind of file I used text)
5. entered 'command.com' into command.bat
6. Wasn't sure what to do from here. ripent.exe still wouldn't open the map.

I probably did something horribly wrong down the line, if someone could explain what I should have done.
scobywhru
Xfire: scobywhru

Post by scobywhru » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:14 pm

once in the command prompt, which the bat file started, run ripenet.exe from there it will keep the output up so you can see what the error is.
Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy wrote:He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.
aabicus

Post by aabicus » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:14 pm

Okay, I see I needed a batch file, not a txt file.

But I can't get the batch file to work either. When opening command.bat I get the error message "C:\Users\{my name}\Desktop\pdh_r\command.bat is not a valid Win32 application."

I'll try to tinker with it when I have more time tonight; I have class right now. Maybe look up what Win32 means.

EDIT: Okay, after saving the .bat film with 'command.com' already written in it, I no longer get that error message. However, like ripent before it, the DOS command line flashes for a split second before closing. It says ' command.com' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Maybe something on my computer is preventing DOS command lines from staying open?
Last edited by aabicus on Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Avvatar
Veni. Legi. Docuit, inportuna.

Post by Avvatar » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:17 pm

32-bit windows.

Not sure if EntEd only works for source maps, but it's a lot nicer than using Ripent was. It's been a while since I used Ripent and I remember precisely nothing, but it sure sounds like you're trying to open a command-line executable with a double click.
aabicus

Post by aabicus » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:23 pm

I am opening by double-clicking. I don't know any other way of opening a file, except right-click>Open (which doesn't work either).

Is there another correct way to open a .bat? Sorry, as previously stated I'm new at this. I feel like if I can just get something to display the map data I could start successfully getting somewhere.
scobywhru
Xfire: scobywhru

Post by scobywhru » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:40 pm

[Windows Key] + R
type "cmd" into the window that pops up
navigate to the folder you have ripent stored ala "cd c:\user\blah\desktop\blah"
confirm you are in the folder that includes the ripent executable with DIR
enter the name of the exe hit enter
Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy wrote:He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.
aabicus

Post by aabicus » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:16 pm

Haha, I've got a DOS that doesn't shut down instantly! Thank you!

I've got ripent open, and am now attempting to find team fortress classic on my computer. On joe's sample DOS, he finds counterstrike using C:\data\games\steam\SteamApps\[email protected]\counter-strike\cstrike\maps>ripent -export de_dust.

So I tried:

C:\data\games\steam\SteamApps\{{my email}}\team fortress classic\maps>ripent -export pdh_r

Is that completely right? The system couldn't find the path specified as is.

One reason I think it might not work is because I can't get my DOS to remove the default location ( C:\Users\{{my name}}> ) from where I type, so I can't type anything that doesn't start with that.
Eviltechie
Happiness Committee
<b>Happiness Committee</b>

Post by Eviltechie » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:29 pm

Son, you need to look up some dos commands.

The one you are looking for is cd

cd .. to go up a level
cd foldername to go into a folder
20:37 <@mbaxter> !crepe
20:37 <@creeper> mbaxter eats a delicious crepe. Suddenly, SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS *KABLOOEY*
20:37 -!- mbaxter was kicked from #minecraft by creeper [Creeper Crepe]
Snugglebear wrote:Not everyone has a conscience.
Avvatar wrote:Welcome to joe.to. Where the men are men, the women are ogled, the children are mocked and we're all assholes. Donate up top.
01:35 <@TheNewt> the game ends when everyone quits

Rat-morningstar
sexy Belgian god
<b><u>sexy Belgian god</u></b>

Post by Rat-morningstar » Wed May 02, 2012 1:00 pm

aabicus wrote:C:\data\games\steam\SteamApps\{{my email}}\team fortress classic\maps>ripent -export pdh_r
possible mistake: {{my email}} is supposed to be your steam username iirc

if it's the same, ignore this post
MrBlip
It was inevitable.

Post by MrBlip » Thu May 31, 2012 8:41 am

MikeyManu wrote:I'm very sorry I am late...It's really well..thank you for sharing.
Mikey you've been late 3 weeks in a row! You're fired! You'll never work in this town again!
9:18 PM - mrblip: im allowed to have my own opinions
9:19 PM - Dr. Doctorpus: no youre not
HAJIBADA

Post by HAJIBADA » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:47 am

Is TFC fun?
mbaxter wrote:You are apparently mentally challenged, and for that I am sorry