TF2 On Linux

Anything dealing with the game Team Fortress 2 or the servers we host for it.
scobywhru
Xfire: scobywhru

TF2 On Linux

Post by scobywhru » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:59 am

Steam on linux works most games run well but there is always room for improvement.

Ubuntu is fairly easy to install and will generally install alongside Windows without issue, there are exceptions of course. You also aren't just limited to Ubuntu, Debian will work with 99% of the same steps, though it generally uses su instead of sudo so you will want keep that in mind when reading documents written with Ubuntu in mind.

Installing Ubuntu
One thing to keep in mind is TF2 is 12gb before adding maps so you will want to give Ubuntu 20gb+ of usable space
HowTo Install Steam
When downloading maps from the FastDL/Server it doesn't always work first time try reconnecting, no idea why.

If steam crashes to desktop or unsupported feature error segfault etc. You need to uninstall the current drivers, likely opensource variety, and install the latest drivers from manufacturer, AMD or Nvidia.
ATi/AMD
Nvidia
Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy wrote:He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.
koko
[citation needed]

Re: TF2 On Linux

Post by koko » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:12 pm

I'm gonna go with mint tried it before not as pretty as ubuntu but it has more of the gnome feel I like.

EDIT: FPS sucks and crashes on low settings, A days work for some extra pixles. Theres more then some room for improvment more like a warehouse.
CaptainTripps wrote:I curse and complain all the time. The fuck you gonna do about it?
Eviltechie
Happiness Committee
<b>Happiness Committee</b>

Post by Eviltechie » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:41 pm

I got it installed on Xubuntu without hassle. (This is after I tried to get it installed on Mint 12, which it removed half of my programs and desktop.) I haven't tried it yet, but by virtue of the game actually loading, I can tell it'll be an improvement for my laptop. My windows install is all mucked up or something so there is too much overhead.

I'll see if I can hop on tonight and play a little.
20:37 <@mbaxter> !crepe
20:37 <@creeper> mbaxter eats a delicious crepe. Suddenly, SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS *KABLOOEY*
20:37 -!- mbaxter was kicked from #minecraft by creeper [Creeper Crepe]
Snugglebear wrote:Not everyone has a conscience.
Avvatar wrote:Welcome to joe.to. Where the men are men, the women are ogled, the children are mocked and we're all assholes. Donate up top.
01:35 <@TheNewt> the game ends when everyone quits

koko
[citation needed]

Post by koko » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:45 am

I'm running Mint 14 KDE x64 i did get about 40 fps on medium settings but still crashed shortly in game i skip a little in windows but my graphics are way high and im on dated hardware
CaptainTripps wrote:I curse and complain all the time. The fuck you gonna do about it?
Velp

Post by Velp » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:20 am

Every time I install linux I run into some kind of a problem. I always seem to find a way to get it to work. This time it wouldn't let me put my screen resolution to native. I had to log into an other user, open the nvidia settings and save a config for it to work for all users. The terminal commands didn't help (other then getting into the nvidia settings). Now I'm hoping the colour profile I made well stay. Games don't seem to reset that like they do in windows.
mbaxter wrote:David tennant makes everything better
Neelpos wrote:Because maybe if my post count is high enough everyone will love me, golly
NightFantom
fuck you i'm a dragon
<font color=#800000>fuck you i'm a dragon</font>

Post by NightFantom » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:45 pm

I have played 2 maps on tf4 by myself earlier today, not that I mind, on my laptop I can barely play over 5 fps (guesstimate), but still haven't received an item :c
Or you need to play on a server with at least X people or something like that?
that seems like a huge amount of work for no good reason - joe
or, you know, sarcasm - Neelpos
mbaxter
Now With Added Calcium!
<b>Now With <font color=#00689c>Added Calcium!</font></b>

Post by mbaxter » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:51 pm

I opened the game. Instadrop
Joejoe347

Post by Joejoe347 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:10 pm

mbaxter wrote:I opened the game. Instadrop
Yeah, it doesn't even have to reach the main menu, as long as steam registers that you launched the game, you're good.
Last edited by Joejoe347 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mozart, dope for the most part.
-Insane Clown Posee

I AM THE MOJOE!!!
NightFantom
fuck you i'm a dragon
<font color=#800000>fuck you i'm a dragon</font>

Post by NightFantom » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:12 pm

T_T
valve why do you hate me
that seems like a huge amount of work for no good reason - joe
or, you know, sarcasm - Neelpos
Velp

Post by Velp » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:23 pm

Why does unity break after a software update?
mbaxter wrote:David tennant makes everything better
Neelpos wrote:Because maybe if my post count is high enough everyone will love me, golly