A Big Post by vxi

Discussion relating to Minecraft and Minecraft servers
vxi
Knight of the Hokey Pokey
<b>Knight of the Hokey Pokey</b>

A Big Post by vxi

Post by vxi » Wed May 29, 2013 5:32 pm

About Teleportation...
I was trying to think of ways to stop users from using the /bed or /spawn commands as a quick escape from tight situations,
so that we could enjoy the REAL feeling of survival without taking away the things that save time that you otherwise wouldn't have lost in survival.
My original idea was to have the command be longer, so that if you were in lava or something you wouldn't have time to type it, but then I realized that people would just copy paste it and then do ctrl+v or just press the up arrow after already typing it.
Another idea (which is already being used) is the 5 second countdown where if you take damage or move it cancels the teleport. The reason I don't like this idea is because there are times when you want to run somewhere and maybe do something at the same time as waiting to teleport.

So I came up with a little list of things that should stop you from teleporting while waiting 5 seconds to teleport.
1. Taking damage
2. Falling far enough to take any amount of damage
3. Aggroing a mob/having a mob aggroed when initiating teleport
4. Being in water/lava/an area dark enough for mobs to spawn
5. Breaking/placing blocks

I was also thinking that it might be interesting, and maybe even more plausible and easier to code, if there was a specific block type that you would have to stand on to teleport, and have it be something you start with one of, but also obtainable expensively through admin shop.
A couple of blocks that could be used for that are sponge and chiseled stone brick.
Using this option would be interesting because players would have a chance to create special rooms for their teleport pads, like the transporter rooms in Star Trek. Sounds awesome, right? Wow, now it's just starting to sound like Tekkit or something...

About a new game type...
I've been thinking about game types for a while.
There are a couple of things floating around in my head, none of them really full ideas, but I'd like to share them nonetheless.

The first idea, and the one I've been thinking about the longest, is a game type like factions, with two or three or whatever teams, on a very finite map like a big giant grid.
The grid would be separated into a bunch of small zones (just like factions), each zone the size of a chunk. The entire grid would be something like 50x50 chunks, I don't know.
The original idea I had in my head was that each chunk adjacent to an already claimed chunk would spawn a little square of 4 blocks in the center of it (starting at obsidian, for example) and to claim the entire chunk you would have to break all four blocks, first changing them from the team that had them claimed to obsidian, and then breaking them again to claim them for yourself.
There could be a gold, diamond and emerald team maybe, for example.
Only zones adjacent to your own team's land would be claimable and you could only unclaim enemy chunks that were adjacent to your land or unclaimed land, and chunks past the edges of the map would count as claimed land for the owner of the land adjacent to them, and unclaimable zones' blocks would be invulnerable to anyone but the owners. Also, if you had for example a long path of claimed land emanating from your original mass of claimed land, and someone snipped it off at the point it was connected to your mass, it would all instantly be unclaimed. Like cutting off a... an arm. Hey, you know what, I just realized that this sounds a bit like the board game Risk... Wow.
You could also unclaim your own land so that you could move your mass of claimed land around and keep it protected rather than spreading too thin.
However, to stop teams from trying to secure all of their land down into a little corner on one impenetrable chunk, I was thinking that every team would get an income of iron ingots equal to the amount of chunks they own plus 5 for every active player on their team, and maybe a tenth of that amount in gold, and maybe one diamond for every 10 chunks they own, every day.
Anyway, you would conquer enemies by unclaiming all of their land, and the users who were on that team would maybe be kicked off the server until the match finished. The last surviving team would win the game.
The landscape for this gametype should be forestey with big fields sprinkled here and there, but with rivers and huge tree-covered mountains covering most of the map, to make land claiming also strategically based on the landscape.

Also, and this isn't really a second idea, ever since I played some Hunger Games with Hooper and Narwhalius I've been wanting to make a Hunger Games map (I've had a couple good ideas for themes, and plenty of awesome ideas for things to put in the maps). There are also plenty of things that could be changed from the default Hunger Games that would make it much, much more fun. I'd like to talk about those in a conversation instead of on a post.

Anyway, I mushed two different posts together and may have some unfinished statements or something in the post, so if there's anything like that just let me know. The reason I didn't post this in the Minecraft game ideas thread is because I wanted to get feedback specifically about these ideas rather than having conversation about general Minecraft ideas. I'd love input and other ideas, though, about the stuff I've been thinking about. There are also a couple of other ideas I've been thinking about that I would like to talk about at some point, but I didn't post them yet because the ideas aren't really finished.
Last edited by vxi on Wed May 29, 2013 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"And if you zoom in you can see they actually built something right there at the end of their travels. Awesome." -Avvatar
Sanvich Hoovy

Re: A Big Post by vxi

Post by Sanvich Hoovy » Wed May 29, 2013 5:50 pm

inb4 "All That Shit" - By you
My therapist told me that I gamble in order to escape from the realities of life and I replied that's why everyone does everything. - Norm MacDonald

Rayray25849

Post by Rayray25849 » Wed May 29, 2013 9:23 pm

My eyes. They hurt.

The Hunger Games type of thing may have been attempted MANY times when it was popular, I don't think the J2 men would give it another shot.

And about the "3 teams" thing, it sounds just like ThreeKingdoms from a few months back.

I have an idea for the /bed thing. I was thinking of some sort of "fine" for using /bed or /spawn such as $100 in-game money or a piece of dirt (if we ever get iConomy or some other money plugin.)
narwal
Praise the 2D Booty

Post by narwal » Wed May 29, 2013 9:40 pm

It was me :C

Everyone confuses me with sports.
¡Viva Los Unban Threads!
PSN: IAMQuetzalcoatl // Steam: daruma.j2 // Add me and we'll play some games! ^_^
vxi
Knight of the Hokey Pokey
<b>Knight of the Hokey Pokey</b>

Post by vxi » Wed May 29, 2013 10:08 pm

Rayray25849 wrote:And about the "3 teams" thing, it sounds just like ThreeKingdoms from a few months back.
Do you really think so? The Three Kingdoms didn't have claiming, the landscape was nice but a bit bland (which did make sense for that game type), and was mostly based on just gathering resources and building (all pretty much in vain) before losing due to one invisibility potion. With my idea, it would encourage players to be actively playing because;
1. You would only get iron/gold income for the amount of active players on the team (not as in online, just as in played within, say, the last 30 hours?)
2. The areas are constantly changing and real buildings are required to win. You can't just go into the enemy base and destroy one thing to win, you have to conquer their territory.

Also, I think 2 or 4 teams would be best, because it would work best with a square map.
narwal wrote:It was me :C
Fixed :>

Also, maybe for the game type idea, all blocks belonging to teams would be invulnerable except for during a certain time of day? Just so that you can't destroy someone's entire zone while nobody is online...
"And if you zoom in you can see they actually built something right there at the end of their travels. Awesome." -Avvatar