So um, what do I need to do to be whitelisted to join?

Discussion relating to Minecraft and Minecraft servers
Singe

So um, what do I need to do to be whitelisted to join?

Post by Singe » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:30 am

To join the server, that is. It isn't entirely clear to me.
Sanvich Hoovy

Re: So um, what do I need to do to be whitelisted to join?

Post by Sanvich Hoovy » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:15 am

The server's far too packed with players, so we need to restrict the number of people playing, obviously. :roll:
My therapist told me that I gamble in order to escape from the realities of life and I replied that's why everyone does everything. - Norm MacDonald

Rayray25849

Post by Rayray25849 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:34 am

jmtokx
Fastest Crêpe Eater
<font color=#34ff15>Fastest Crêpe Eater</font>

Post by jmtokx » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:47 am

Sanvich Hoovy wrote:The server's far too packed with players, so we need to restrict the number of people playing, obviously. :roll:
He was asking how, not why. Obviously :roll:
Rayray25849

Post by Rayray25849 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:46 am

Sanvich Hoovy wrote:The server's far too packed with players, so we need to restrict the number of people playing, obviously. :roll:
Unless if that was a joke, you are incorrect. The whitelist is there so that only a select people that can be trusted can mess around with the map, not just anyone who can jump on only to ruin the map and leave.
Eviltechie wrote:
Bigredthesecond wrote:I was wondering, why a whitelist?
I'd rather not just let anybody tnt the server, just a select few.
Sanvich Hoovy

Post by Sanvich Hoovy » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:13 pm

I'm just saying, most of what I see on this subforum is people talking about how empty the MC servers are, so making people jump through hoops just to play seemes counterintuitive to me. Then again, I'm not an admin, so It's not my call anyway.
My therapist told me that I gamble in order to escape from the realities of life and I replied that's why everyone does everything. - Norm MacDonald

Eviltechie
Happiness Committee
<b>Happiness Committee</b>

Post by Eviltechie » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:59 pm

Sanvich Hoovy wrote:I'm just saying, most of what I see on this subforum is people talking about how empty the MC servers are, so making people jump through hoops just to play seemes counterintuitive to me. Then again, I'm not an admin, so It's not my call anyway.
The server has no restrictions on it whatsoever, so we have to make sure random people don't just join and tnt everything.
20:37 <@mbaxter> !crepe
20:37 <@creeper> mbaxter eats a delicious crepe. Suddenly, SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS *KABLOOEY*
20:37 -!- mbaxter was kicked from #minecraft by creeper [Creeper Crepe]
Snugglebear wrote:Not everyone has a conscience.
Avvatar wrote:Welcome to joe.to. Where the men are men, the women are ogled, the children are mocked and we're all assholes. Donate up top.
01:35 <@TheNewt> the game ends when everyone quits

vxi
Knight of the Hokey Pokey
<b>Knight of the Hokey Pokey</b>

Post by vxi » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:50 pm

Rayray25849 wrote:Unless if that was a joke, you are incorrect.
I think it was sarcasm, at least that's how I read it.
Sanvich Hoovy wrote:I'm just saying, most of what I see on this subforum is people talking about how empty the MC servers are, so making people jump through hoops just to play seemes counterintuitive to me. Then again, I'm not an admin, so It's not my call anyway.
When nothing new is actually being attempted to attract players (at this exact point in time and phase in J2 Minecraft server development), having an extra step like this probably isn't and won't affect it that much.
I'm sure it won't be like this at a point in time where something is actually going on or being released.
"And if you zoom in you can see they actually built something right there at the end of their travels. Awesome." -Avvatar
Jason_D_Black
Xfire: /

Post by Jason_D_Black » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:43 am

vxi wrote:When nothing new is actually being attempted to attract players (at this exact point in time and phase in J2 Minecraft server development), having an extra step like this probably isn't and won't affect it that much.
I'm sure it won't be like this at a point in time where something is actually going on or being released.
Agreed, if nothing new is launched, there won't be many players on the server. However, I belief that we have hit a point of no return. And with that I'm trying to say, even if you launch a faction server or 3 kingdom server, there won't be many players either. Or you'll need something that sounds great, fun and unique, or you'll have to make a lot of commercial to pull players back to the server. I belief there are a lot who have literally given up watching the joe.to forums and playing on their servers, so reaching them once again will be a tough job.
vxi

Post by vxi » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:51 am

Jason_D_Black wrote:I belief that we have hit a point of no return.
I don't think there is any such thing as a point of no return in this context. If you do it well enough you can create a server that will become very popular in a few weeks without any advertisement, so I don't think there's any way we could hit a point where we can't step forward. If you're saying that we've hit the point that we started at or are 'starting at square one' I would also disagree but I understand that view much more, if it were to keep going in the direction that it's following it could definitely hit square one eventually, but I think it would take years.
We'll do fine if whatever we do next is well enough, advertising does help but there's a limit.
"And if you zoom in you can see they actually built something right there at the end of their travels. Awesome." -Avvatar
Jason_D_Black

Post by Jason_D_Black » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:59 am

In point of no return I meant, we won't get the players back who used to play anymore. We won't be able to return the server back as it's original state as most of the old players has probably stopped already. Oke, a minecraft server will probably be able to become famous in a week time, with a lot of players, but that still doesn't give you the quality we used to have. And if you see the server now a days, I do think from times to times that we have to start at square one. Since the max amount of players online on the server are 3, with a lot of luck 5 (Although maybe some of you had it better, but my maximum was 5) Also, that includes sometimes new players who play one time and then stay offline again, and we don't want that in the future. Players who create a faction and then leave it again, wasting a portion of land because of it. Or players who only chop the bottom of a tree and leave the rest in the sky.

Commercial can give you a good amount of players, most servers get their players by making forum threads on Minecraft.com official forum. But that still doesn't give you the quality of players we used to have, those who stayed on longer than a week and followed the rules decently. So that's how I explain the "point of no return" or I must be mistaking and everyone who used to play faction on joe.to is still here.
vxi

Post by vxi » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:20 am

Okay, before reading this just keep in mind that I came up with it on the spot and may change my opinions about this, but I think most of my views are pretty solid for most of this.
As I see it there are five different 'categories' of, well, people, when it comes to groups in general.
Those who:
1. Come around one time, not planning to make any effort to stay in the community, leaving
2. Want to be a part of the community but are discouraged by elements like the player base, the community, harassment from a specific player, etc.
3. Stay in the community no matter what the community is like until a certain specific event
4. Stay in the community more and more decreasingly but over a long period of time
5. Stay in the community permanently (leaving the community only as a result of something completely unrelated)
These categories are pretty hazy and can cross over, so they're relatively flexible.

Different things bring in different kinds of people. Advertisement brings in mostly #1, maybe some of #2. Making a popular server without very much advertisement (players hear about it from other players) brings in I'd say about an equal amount of #1 and #2. Websites like this which have forums and an innately large community because of previous things like Team Fortress encourage mostly #3 to #5. Websites with developers who actually make an effort to have a nice server over a constant period of time encourage #4 and #5.
Right now we have a lot of 4-5, that's why our Minecraft servers haven't been completely given up on. To have sustained #1 and #2 means that the servers will have lots of junk and empty bases all over the place but a pretty constant player base, to have #3 to #5 means that the servers will have a solid player base for a short while when something very interesting happens but the player base will obviously decline over time because people will get tired of trying to get their friends to join and get bored of the same people over and over.
What you really want to accomplish is the perfect balance, where you attract people in just the right way that they stay for a short while, ask some friends to come and see, and then decide whether they're going to leave or not. If they tell more than one friend to come and see before they decide to leave or not more than 50% of the time, alakazam, you have a solid player-base! Sustaining it requires frequent new things and surprises, good ideas that will keep people entertained for at least a week and fair advertisement.
Jason_D_Black

Post by Jason_D_Black » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:26 am

I don't belief it will go as easy as you say, but let's hope so if they launch something new
jmtokx
Fastest Crêpe Eater
<font color=#34ff15>Fastest Crêpe Eater</font>

Post by jmtokx » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:59 pm

Jason_D_Black wrote:(Although maybe some of you had it better, but my maximum was 5)
narwal
Praise the 2D Booty

Post by narwal » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:11 am

This is now an argument thread.

Jmtokx, you smell bad.
¡Viva Los Unban Threads!
PSN: IAMQuetzalcoatl // Steam: daruma.j2 // Add me and we'll play some games! ^_^