random thoughs

anything related to video games but not otherwise covered in another forum

Which will become the next Half-Life (Widely used engin)

UT2003 (Unreal Tournement 2003)
33%
Half-Life 2 (only rumers of it in the making)
67%

Total votes: 15
bugzbunny

random thoughs

Post by bugzbunny » Tue Feb 18, 2003 10:17 pm

i have just realized how old Half-Life is and i know i will probbably get a brick through my window for saying this but THE WORLD NEEDS A NEW ENGIN. Half_life it seems is not up to the challeng og the more complex and larger maps and mod. ESPECIALLY ESF where if i noticed you can only see half the map before it disappers if its one of the larger maps. and you may say its the graphics card but ummm no my ati radeon 9700 pro is up to the task. i think that there are 2 cotendors out there that might become the new Half-life. On is of course Half-Life 2 and the other is what i think will be the BEST UT2003, the game it self isnt bad but its the engin that i like. i allows for BITCHEN graphics for all graphics cards from 16-126 mb. But Half-Life i dont know about i havent heard much about of it. I have seen a couple of the mods in the making for UT2003 and they LOOK GREAT there is a mod like DOD that kicks its ass with only its little toe. did i miss any thing or will these games become the future Half-Life and finally retire the aging game for a newer buffer BETTER engin.
"I suppose I should be ashamed to say that I take the elite view of the Noob. I don't go so far as to think that the only good Noobs are dead Noobs, but I believe nine out of every ten are, and I shouldn't like to inquire too closely into the case of the tenth." -BugzBunny (2010)
*note: not responsible for the stupidity of others
iownju

Post by iownju » Tue Feb 18, 2003 10:39 pm

i think that the new hl engine, and the ut engine right now has a big security hole in it, there is no patch yet so keep looking for one ;)
Waffles

Post by Waffles » Tue Feb 18, 2003 10:46 pm

I have UT2003 but dont play it much, are there any modes other then DM? Also, if something wants to contend with HL for the mod-game, they have to be able to chang mods quick, be easy to script, and have good netcode already.
bugzbunny

Post by bugzbunny » Tue Feb 18, 2003 11:03 pm

yeah they have a mod out almost EXACTYLY like DOD and much more out and much more to come... the security hole seems like its not that big of a problem because the engin it sooooo much more complex... as for the otherthing i dun know but i just know that Half-life needs to be retierd and lock away for ever in a musem
"I suppose I should be ashamed to say that I take the elite view of the Noob. I don't go so far as to think that the only good Noobs are dead Noobs, but I believe nine out of every ten are, and I shouldn't like to inquire too closely into the case of the tenth." -BugzBunny (2010)
*note: not responsible for the stupidity of others
Volmarias

Post by Volmarias » Tue Feb 18, 2003 11:43 pm

If the map cuts off half-way across the level, then the map-maker is just, ah, slow. There's a variable that you set for the cut-off point, and considering that anything past the cut-off point is rendered anyway but then has the sky rendered on top of it there is no performance savings and no reason to use that (to the best of my knowledge). ESF is for n00bs ^_^
bugzbunny

Post by bugzbunny » Wed Feb 19, 2003 12:53 am

yeah ESF is for noobs... first time i played it i got goku did a shit load of balms then went ssj and keeped kamehhamehaing every thing insight till i got 2 10 million and the blast was bigger than that map and killed EVERY BODY!!!!!
Volmarias

Post by Volmarias » Wed Feb 19, 2003 3:49 am

Just like every tenth episode of DBZ (when he actually finishes powering up).
M. Sinistre

Post by M. Sinistre » Wed Feb 19, 2003 6:54 am

Rotf.
Sorry for the 8 month absence. I stepped out to lunch.

Feel free to IM me with button.

Omg Carbuncle r teh own!
M. Sinistre

Post by M. Sinistre » Wed Feb 19, 2003 4:57 pm

I wsa thinking about how cool it would be if half life 2 was backwards compatible with hl mods =D
Sorry for the 8 month absence. I stepped out to lunch.

Feel free to IM me with button.

Omg Carbuncle r teh own!
Volmarias

Post by Volmarias » Wed Feb 19, 2003 5:34 pm

That would be pretty hard.....