[CS:GO] func_vehicle progress

Discussion for all Counter-Strike titles - csgo.joe.to
Spherix

[CS:GO] func_vehicle progress

Post by Spherix » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:51 pm

I felt I should post this here as well, since my mapping adventures started on this forum back when I was ~13 years old. I noticed my last post was in 2004, so it's been a while.

I've been fiddling around with vehicles for a few days in CS:GO and this is the current progress:

It's heavy on entities, that's for sure (20+ for a vehicle incl. sounds), and not perfect yet since you /sometimes/ get stuck in the vehicle after driving it. I haven't put a whole lot of hours in testing yet though, I assume it's something that can be overcome as well.
KoD
KoD [@at] joe . to
<b>KoD</b> <i>[@at]</i> <u>joe</u> . to

Re: [CS:GO] func_vehicle progress

Post by KoD » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:23 pm

Aber wrote:not perfect yet since you /sometimes/ get stuck in the vehicle after driving it.
What are you on about? That describes func_vehicle pretty well.

Pretty cool though; it's like func_vehicle but it appears you can strafe.
If it was manageable to get several of those into a map I would definitely go back to hammer and remake a few classics. I like that starwars map. Jet pack mod, hook mod.. so much fun
Spherix

Post by Spherix » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:45 pm

It'll certainly be possible to throw a ton of them in a map. As for strafing; it uses physics stuff. So if you have a big forward momentum and steer, you'll drift.
Dr Lecter

Post by Dr Lecter » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:02 pm

randomly killing yourself was half the fun of func_vehicle
Because, since you don't know me, there is a great possibility that I'm on an higher intellectuel level then you are on.
NIPPER

Post by NIPPER » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:50 pm

Dr Lecter wrote:randomly killing yourself was half the fun of func_vehicle
with pre 1.3 func_vehicle it was actually quite difficult to do
AMMO

Post by AMMO » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:08 pm

Dude, that was awesome! It's totally reminiscent of func_vehicle.
ggg

Post by ggg » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:53 pm

theres a better way that uses a func_brush and vscripts. there's some video on youtube of someone showing off various things they've done with vscripts and one of them is a func_vehicle-esque thing but the download link they included doesnt work. cant find the video.

but if i could find a working link or find out how to get the distance between world and entity origin i could probably make a func_brush based vehicle alternative.

this method should only require a func_brush with a vscript. no need to have 20+ entities per vehicle.
AMMO

Post by AMMO » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:28 pm

It's not this one, is it? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxQre2bqADw

This guy is using props instead of a brush based entity though.
ggg

Post by ggg » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:30 pm

no thats not it. what im talking about would be brush based and behave similarly to func_vehicle.
Spherix

Post by Spherix » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:50 am

I've been without internet for the past month due to relocating, so was unable to make any progress.

I'm aware of the alternatives with Vscript, I actually have the 'working' files that came with various videos/projects on my pc. Reason I still went with the entity way is cause it still works better. The Vscripting might have potential but it's far from there, and resource intensive in multiplayer. Current examples are slow and buggy, so I didn't feel that was the way to go.

I'll see where I get in the next few weeks, I'm in the process of setting up my home office again so I can continue developing stuff :)
AMMO

Post by AMMO » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:45 pm

Awesome man, thanks for figuring this shit out. You're doing God's work.
Spherix

Post by Spherix » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:14 am

I have sad news.

func_vehicle as I tried to emulate it via entities, is too crash sensitive.

The proces is running into a bug in CS:GO which has been reported long ago, and I wouldn't count on it being fixed. It's an issue where a player is parented to an object (in this case, the car) and then the round ends in a non-normal way. With a non normal way, that means a warmup ending, restarting the match via console commands, or voting to change the map. This results in a session crash locally, and a server crash if ran on a dedicated server. These cases are not actual round endings and therefore I cannot find a workaround for it, unfortunately.

So I have vehicles 'working' to an extend where I can make brushwork drivable (with a ton of entities), players shoot out of them whilst driving, and causing semi-realistic impact damage on different speeds so you can run over people etc. The principle works again, sadly, I don't think it's a feasible thing for server as of now, unless servers disable voting, map restarts and warmups.

I'll see what happens when I don't parent the player to the car but just have it stand in it, although it's likely that they'll be killed as the vehicle reaches top speed since they'd collide with it. If all else fails, I'll check into the script based vehicles, although I assume they have similar issues with these kind of edge cases.

Relevant bug report from 2013; http://www.pwnsource.com//tickets/playe ... d-restart/
NIPPER

Post by NIPPER » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:28 pm

I feared this would be the case. :sadasfuck:
Django
Bow down to your King!
<font color=black><i>Bow down to your King!</i></font>

Post by Django » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:26 am

func this shit
"Dream, Django, but dream with your eyes open."
Spherix

Post by Spherix » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:56 am

I asked a valve dev that I have on steam if those kind of bugs would ever get fixed, got ignored. So there we are.